Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up 4 stroke power! We will have a 500hp outboard

Except for the out right over price of the Verodo, it will become the base line for a 500hp engine. And I feel like someone on this board will be the one to build it.
    My self being a engine builder (4 stroke) from Brigg and Stration 5hp engine for karting to class racing engines for drag racing.
    The 4 stroke base line has room for major hp improvement. No production engine can build a blue printed engine. The list of advancement in this type engine is wide open. Camshafts! Multie angle valve job, light small steem valves, porting, light pistons, light rods, And what does nitrous do to 4 strokes!.
    Now some will say it will not over come the 2 stroke. I feel it's going to be wide open for the aftermarket.
    I know when I find a used affordable one, overdriving the blower, major head work and the list will be endlist.

Just think we turn a flat tappet 5.7 Nascar engine 10k rpm and get 750hp with limit's set by NASCAR.

In WKA we take a 5hp briggs and turn it 7500 in stock class and 15,000 in modified. Almost 25hp out of a 5hp engine rated at 3600 rpm.

Also with the cost of these outboards I'm waiting on the aftermarket to build the 2.5 or 3.0 blocks and parts. Or even a aftermarket engine. You can build a 5.7 355 cu small block for less the 5k and never by a single part from GM!

Can't wait and I will save this for when it does! 500 hp IS COMING!
    Last edited by The Big Al; 06-12-2005 at 10:58 AM.
    “The bitterness of poor quality & service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree the HP will be more abundant. The problem in my opinion is the weight, you can make a 500 HP outboard or even more, but you can't safely put it in the back of your 4-500 lb 18-20 ft boat. I think the 4 strok will shine in offshore, where you can supercharge a Verado an replace 2-2 stokes with 1-4 stroke, or 4 2 strokes with 2 4 strokes.
    Comp. STV - 2.5 EFI
    Vegas XT - 2.4 200
    Vector project - mod. 2.4 225

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Mercury will be unveiling a performance version of the Verado, possibly at Miami next year. The Verado has been being tested at over 400HP for quite some time...

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

as of this moment

a verado weighs about 60lbs more than my boat. And it has a suck ass mid section. Now if they can improve on those 2 problems I may be mildly interested, but I doubt it. And it looks like a shrimp. So there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, with 500hp! Plus! A heaver stable boat, will pass you!

100mph plus will become a standard!
    And then comes the WATER POLICE!!!
    “The bitterness of poor quality & service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 advantages that performance 2 stroke outboards have.....

.....light weight, and an insane rpm range. The Verado, nor most any other 4 stroke can claim these. It's kind of an apples and oranges kinda thing. Both will push a boat very well, but both need a different kind of boat.
    Rickracer

Sunshine Syndicate Member

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

[img]http:/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It still looks like a shrimp.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

The RPM will come!
    Hell we turn V-8's 355 cid 12,000 now!

Capt! I know they will pass me! Mine will be going BEBEBEBEB
    here come veroom!!!! there goes verooom!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o

It still looks like a shrimp.
    Never mind the shrimp look.....it is an incredibly huge outboard. Merc seems to be really discounting pre-rigged setups, and while I was in Key West last week, I spoke to a guy who had a twin Verado fishing boat...he said the bottom line was $$$.

I can't imagine how these engines will every be popular, especially with alternatives like Etec, Opti, and Yams....but I could be wrong.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally say 2-stroke with NA and 4-stroke with FI since FI is so complicated on 2-stroke but very nice and good clean fun on 4-stroke

my car runs 16psi b00st and I don't see why this wouldnt be possible with a outboard.

imagine the power you could get out of hondas 3.6l block at 1 bar

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhwh
    imagine the power you could get out of hondas 3.6l block at 1 bar
    Hay still be too heavy, but what about the 4 cyl with boost ?

Any maybe a sportsmaster lower
    22' Activator w/ 250xs Merc Opti, back home again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blkmtrfan
    Hay still be too heavy, but what about the 4 cyl with boost ?

Any maybe a sportsmaster lower
    all very possible yes but expensive. at 1 bar you should in theory have 300HP if the engine is originally 150 in reallife you get 70-80% more intercooling with water is however very effective so chargeair is cool and you can run high boost with low octane fuel.
    1 bar on a NA engine would require new forged pistons & rods + custom ECU like haltech with 2-3bar MAP. all in all this costs a lot.

the 150Hp 4cyl has the 2.4l I4 from the accord, if there is some cheap ebay kit for that engine it should be cheap and possible to run 0.5bar on stock internals with a remap of the injection system. that would at least let you hit 200+hp.

changing internals it should be possible to get reliable 300+.

not sure how happy the crankshaft would be with the boost since it has a long stroke compared to bore.

I'll give it a go of somebody donates the parts

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    or... buy a 4cylinder verado that is correctly designed for a marine environment and boost. also, a 3L sporty is bolt-on

<table class="MsoNormalTable" style="margin-left: 4.65pt; border-collapse: collapse;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="121" width="611"> <tbody><tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="border-style: none none none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color windowtext; border-width: medium medium medium 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; background: rgb(255, 255, 153) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial; width: 185.15pt; height: 12.75pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="247"> Displacement

</td> <td style="border-style: none none none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color windowtext; border-width: medium medium medium 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; background: rgb(255, 255, 153) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial; width: 185.15pt; height: 12.75pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="247">
    <o =""></o>
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="border-style: none none none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color windowtext; border-width: medium medium medium 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; background: rgb(255, 255, 153) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial; width: 185.15pt; height: 12.75pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="247"> >Cubic Inches (CID)<o =""></o>

</td> <td style="border-style: none none none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color windowtext; border-width: medium medium medium 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; background: rgb(255, 255, 153) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial; width: 185.15pt; height: 12.75pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="247">
    105.7<o =""></o>
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="border-style: none none none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color windowtext; border-width: medium medium medium 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; background: rgb(255, 255, 153) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial; width: 185.15pt; height: 12.75pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="247"> >Liters (l)<o =""></o>

1.7<o =""></o>
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="border-style: none none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; background: rgb(255, 255, 153) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial; width: 185.15pt; height: 12.75pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="247"> >Cubic Centimeters (cc)<o =""></o>

</td> <td style="border-style: none none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; background: rgb(255, 255, 153) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: initial; -moz-background-origin: initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: initial; width: 185.15pt; height: 12.75pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="247">
    1,732<o =""></o>
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="border-style: none none none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color windowtext; border-width: medium medium medium 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 185.15pt; height: 12.75pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="247"> Bore & Stroke<o =""></o>

</td> <td style="border-style: none none none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color windowtext; border-width: medium medium medium 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 185.15pt; height: 12.75pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="247">
    <o =""></o>
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="border-style: none none none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color windowtext; border-width: medium medium medium 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 185.15pt; height: 12.75pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="247"> >Inches (in.)<o =""></o>

</td> <td style="border-style: none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 185.15pt; height: 12.75pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="247">
    3.23 x 3.23<o =""></o>
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="border-style: none none none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color windowtext; border-width: medium medium medium 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 185.15pt; height: 12.75pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="247"> >Millimeters (mm)<o =""></o>

</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 185.15pt; height: 12.75pt;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" width="247">
    82 x 82<o =""></o>
    </td> </tr> </tbody> </table>
    Last edited by 1BadStream; 06-14-2005 at 06:58 AM.
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also like some donated parts

Anyway, the reason for the thoughts about the Honda:

First, on the street, there is guys getting amazing power from honda 4 cylinders, with quite a few builders making a living doing nothing but modifying hondas....

Second, it displaces 2.4 liters, the 6-cylinder Verado is only 2.6 and the 4 cylinder Verado is only 1.7, yet the Honda 20" BF150 weighs in at only 508 lbs. We all know there is no replacement for displacement. If Merc is getting 400HP from 2.6 liters, then

Third, I would be interesting to try something idfferent. Believe me I really am a Merc guy through and through, but I wish I had the time and resources to try something like this
    Last edited by blkmtrfan; 06-14-2005 at 07:04 AM.
    22' Activator w/ 250xs Merc Opti, back home again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    and there is guys kickin those honduhs asses with GM 4-cylinders and ford 4-cylinders... the verado I-4 weighs 512lbs... if you can get an intercooler/ducting/supercharger to weigh 4lbs, I will buy them for you... also, everything in the verado is forged, and the sleeves are thick enough to punch it out over 1/4" - you ever seen one of these things opened up? they are build like a brick S-House!
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast