Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it ok to run fuel injector cleaner?

The stuff made for cars that you put in the tank, like Stp?

Thank you
    2011 DCB F26
    2017 300 XS DBR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

___

In a Merc. 260.
    2011 DCB F26
    2017 300 XS DBR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I personall thank it's a waste ov your money...a bottle ov rubb'in alkehol will do tha same thang(actually more, it will eliminate any moisture in your fuel system)...Juss pull your injectors, and send them to Tony and let him cleen, and flow them for U...He haz a good turn over, and when he thru, theres NO doubt wher U stand on injectors!!!...Juss my opinion!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wit Rex

Most of that stuff is garbage. If you run a good brand of gas (detergent package), chances are your injectors stay relatively clean anyway, and if not, send em ta Tony, or Brendan Powers.
    Rickracer

Sunshine Syndicate Member

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

[img]http:/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the question here, is:
    Is it OK to run it, even if it doesn't do anything?

Most injector cleaners like STP are mostly just Kerosene.

Some, like Berryman B12, are nasty blends of gum-cutting solvents. But, are they harmful to any parts of the fuel system??
    '89 Hydrostream Vegas XT, '90 Merc 2.4 Bridgeport PCU EFI
    My YouTube videos________My Flickr photo gallery
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1706097519

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the price of injectors, PCMS, and/or powerheads.....

...and considering the pros vs. the cons, I would not use any of them. I have recommended good brands of gas to my customers for years, and have many times proven that switching from "Racetrac", "Cargo", or "Jet", (just representative brands of cheap fuel), to Texaco, Amoco, Shell, Exxon, etc. will make a measurable difference in mileage and idle quality in just a couple tankfuls. Having said that, I see no reason to risk damage to your megabuck injectors with an unknown quantity or quality of solvents. Your injectors have windings in them that are insulated, and you don't want solvents dissolving that insulation, which can cause shorting of the coils, and possibly even damage to the drivers in your PCM/ECM. Since pretty much all of my experience is with automotive injection systems, you can take this info for what you deem it to be worth, but if I had an injected Merc, I would not use any injector cleaning products at all.
    Rickracer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew that if T-Rex kept typin' long enough, he'd get somethin' right

When we clean injectors here, we use a very concentrated non-corrosive solvent (that does'nt harm the injectors) in a heated ultrasonic bath. We pulse the injectors while flushing backwards through the injectors.
    This method removes any foriegn matter instead of lodging it in the injector as forward flushing would do. All of this is done with the filter baskets removed of course. We install new filter baskets after cleaning.

We then flow test your injectors at various pulse widths to simulate actual operation on your engine. This supplies us with not just static flow, but flow rates @ 5 Msec, and 2.5 Msec. The 5 Msec number is most important on your 260 as it is a close representation of W.O.T. condition.
    The 2.5 Msec is a good indication of idle quality.

Your motor never operates with the injectors hung wide open, so using static flow only can be misleading. We've seen injectors balance perfectly @ static flow but be out of balance by more than 15% @ 5 Msec.
    This would indicate that the injectors are perfectly clean but the injector mechanisms are faulty.

A weak solinoid takes longer to open the pintle causing less flow during its' cycle. A weak return spring takes longer to close the pintle and will cause a flooding condition.

We can only clean and verify the condition of your injectors. If we find a faulty injector, it needs to be replaced.

We stock new Bosch injectors that we flow test and match to your set if needed. We've found that even new injectors have a large range of flow rates
    ( > 4% variation). We won't sell them without flow testing them and matching to your set for this reason.
    Tony Brucato

(919) 718-0249

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tony,

With Bosch getting out of the injector buisness, how is your supply holding up?

Have you looked into the Seimen's injectors? Good stuff, but required pulse width will change.
    Disclaimer: Everything I post is just my .02, and should be take only as opinion. These opinions tend to be notoriously WRONG, and any that are correct, can only be attributed to my being dropped on my head as a small child - repeatedly.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We put a set of the new Siemens 60lb injectors in my friends Buick GN...

...and they worked awesome. Of course it got a new chip, bigger turbo, and a front mount intercooler too. Had to make a new list of suspension parts to get, as the chassis won't handle the new found power. Can't wait to get done and take it to the track again.
    Rickracer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne, we have about 100 in stock and a couple of hundred more on back order. Don't know if we'll ever get them now.
    Tony Brucato

(919) 718-0249

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Not necessarily the best advice

Quote Originally Posted by Rickracer
    ...and considering the pros vs. the cons, I would not use any of them. I have recommended good brands of gas to my customers for years, and have many times proven that switching from "Racetrac", "Cargo", or "Jet", (just representative brands of cheap fuel), to Texaco, Amoco, Shell, Exxon, etc. will make a measurable difference in mileage and idle quality in just a couple tankfuls. Having said that, I see no reason to risk damage to your megabuck injectors with an unknown quantity or quality of solvents. Your injectors have windings in them that are insulated, and you don't want solvents dissolving that insulation, which can cause shorting of the coils, and possibly even damage to the drivers in your PCM/ECM. Since pretty much all of my experience is with automotive injection systems, you can take this info for what you deem it to be worth, but if I had an injected Merc, I would not use any injector cleaning products at all.
    Rickracer, there are only so many chemicals used for additive packages, and the additives used in gasoline is basically the same as the stuff that which is dissolved in kerosene and sold as "fuel injector cleaner" at Wal-Mart. Therefore, neither will hurt your fuel injectors.

In addition, those concerned with high fuel prices can save a lot of money by buying gasoline at the cheap no-brand stations and a bottle of injector cleaner at Wal-Mart every once in a while.

That said, don't expect pouring a bottle of Tech 2000 fuel injector cleaner in your tank to do the same job as sending your injectors to Tony Brucato for cleaning and flow-testing.
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much to have injectors cleaned and tested.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marcus, quick question

Is it OK for me to do laundry with plain water as long as I use a good concentrated detergent every third wash? In my 28 year experience as an automotive technician, I have found that it's easier to keep deposits off, than it is to remove them once they are there. A fairly high percentage of the failed (and/or leaking) injectors I've seen had had some kind of supplemental injector cleaner used with them, (customer supplied information). And I'd be willing to bet that even a brand new set of injectors would work better (together) after a trip to Tony's.
    Rickracer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Send um to Tony!

Chad,$20 a piece to service injectors. I just sent my injectors off of my 260. The motor was running fine. Linda Brucatto told me one of my injectors was flowing 15% rich..... Carb cleaner won't tell you that! They replaced the faulty injector and cleaned the other 5, flashed the latest software and changed the fuel curve on my PCU. I can't wait to see the difference.
    Thanks to Tony and Linda Brucatto.
    Dave.
    Lake Racer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the turn-around on the injectors. My 225 promax seems to be running good but I think I've noitced a little more fuel consumption.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast