Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hustler boats

I was coming home from Balto. and stopped along rt.50 and looked at a white hulled o/b hull with the name of Hustler . Is there a manufactured name ? It was about 16-16.5 long , many half-ass changes,but with dual cable steering and merc controls. the bottom was almost flat, from the road I thought it would be a inboard, but it had old jack plate with remote pump. The hull had strakes ,looked late 60's early 70's is this any thing? thanks Mac

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maclu24
    I was coming home from Balto. and stopped along rt.50 and looked at a white hulled o/b hull with the name of Hustler . Is there a manufactured name ? It was about 16-16.5 long , many half-ass changes,but with dual cable steering and merc controls. the bottom was almost flat, from the road I thought it would be a inboard, but it had old jack plate with remote pump. The hull had strakes ,looked late 60's early 70's is this any thing? thanks Mac
    The "original" Hustlers were OPC vee bottoms and were built in the Midwest(I'm thinking Illinois). They usually had metalflake decks although I remember some in solid colors. Boats ran well in races but were not as good in the rough as Eltros and Sidewinders and were outrun in the calm by Allies and Streams.......they were sort of in the CHeckmate niche......

T2x

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If these are the same Hustlers. They were built by Jim Umbarger in Mchenry Il. in the late 60's and seventies. I used to work for Jim and my dad just talked to him the other day. If you need more info, give him a call, he loves talking about his old boats. 815-385-4848 or ask for Jim Jr. later, Dave
    2018 South Bay 3.0+ Tritoon W/Merc 400R

2019 Wright Perfomance 36, twin Merc 400R's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had two Hustlers, a V and a Tunnel. Pics in my gallery if you want to see them.

335lb. Vector, 750lb. Ventura II
    Hydrostream Addict Hot Evinrude 200 crossflow

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    was the boat white top with a black bottom? Ive seen that one before. About 10 years ago there was one in southern md with a big omc that would run mid to high 80s. It looked like it was being pulled by a string at top speed. There should be thread I started from about 3 years ago that tells a lot about the hull. Let me see if I can find it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OLEGATOR
    If this is the Umbarger built boat, it was a very good running boat. In 1968 Stan Stauffer won the National Championship in both FI and FJ using the same boat with diferent engines.
    Wasn't that a Sabre hull that Stanton used?

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryan 140

White boat with black bottom is on lot also , I could not tell what it was. Guy wants 1800 for either one with trailer. Hustler looks fast sitting on trailer but it would be a labor of love ; like I'm doing with my Gt-150. Mac

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hustler boats in Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by Maclu24 View Post
    White boat with black bottom is on lot also , I could not tell what it was. Guy wants 1800 for either one with trailer. Hustler looks fast sitting on trailer but it would be a labor of love ; like I'm doing with my Gt-150. Mac
    Mac do you think you can get a picture or describe the changes to the white tunnel you saw???
    Reason is my Dad's Hustler went out your way in the 70's and it had some changes....just wondering if it could be the same one...many thanks! Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The V bottom had a pad added by Harold Naus. think it was a 6", Tunnel was stock.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There were three Hustler 15' Wildcats that dominated the high performance boating scene here on Bangs Lake back in the late '60s and early '70s. Here's one of them, a '68 with a 125 Merc. The kid's old wood runabout had sunk in Florida where they stayed in the winter. His dad was a horse jockey at Arlington Park in the summer and they spent summers at a resort on Bangs. His dad had a big race one night and he said, "If my dad wins tonight, I'm getting a new boat tomorrow." His dad won and they went straight to Munson the next day and bought it. It was set up mainly for skiing with an aluminum prop and the motor was set fairly low, but would still run 58 with four passengers. The date stamp on the photo is just from the digital camera that shot the picture of the slide being displayed on the screen. Boat looks to be brand new here since there are no numbers on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moreno Hustler holeshot.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	238.8 KB 
ID:	363578
    Ron V

11. Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's some more footage that I'm sure Dan will enjoy as well. These are from my family's 8mm silent home movie collection from back in the day. There are all sorts of boats (Checkmates, Starcrafts, Switzers, my dad's 13' Vampire) in them, but I'll point out the Hustlers. This was all filmed before my time. Wish I had grown up then, before the village got a total choke hold on the lake with excessive ordinances and before the lake was patrolled with radar guns and 9mm pistols.

Part 1:

https://youtu.be/SfhYo7mw9DQ

5:30 and again at 8:03 - Dan Kotula's all black (inside and out) 15' Wildcat with Merc 135. Boat was blown over at Kankakee one year.

8:15 - OPC races at Cook's Grove on Bangs Lake, circa '70. Dan, I think your dad is in the Hustler with the Chrysler at 8:23? Kotula was in the black one. I think you might be driving the 13 footer with the V-4 Johnson at 8:32?

9:04 - 9:08 - yes, that is an inflatable Johnny Sea Horse water toy that was given away as a promotion to anyone who bought a new Johnson in about 1970. We still have it. No, it's not for sale.

9:23 - 15' Wildcat with 1100 SS idling in the foreground

Part 2:

https://youtu.be/6U7zBLi6w00

0:47 - 15' Wildcat with inline six passing my dad's 13' Checkmate

1:02 - 2:44 - My uncle's 1971 18' Wildcat being launched and run for the first time. That was a hell of a boat, great in rough water and could carry as many people as you could cram into it. Wish I had it.

2:50 - 7:10 - Family boating and skiing with the 18' Wildcat (and my dad's 13' Checkmate) with all of the relatives at one of my grandma's many summer picnics.

7:26 - 7:31 - Hustler 15' Wildcat @ 58 mph with a Merc 1100SS.

7:34 - 8:59 - My dad's new 1973 Vampire 13' and '71 Merc 650, filmed from the above 15' Hustler.
    Last edited by Ron V; 12-30-2016 at 10:53 AM.
    Ron V

13. Likes DanUmbarger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing Ron.....what a blast watching the videos. The Bangs lake race was fun to watch....at that time I think I was running either the blue 13' Wildcat with a Merc 80 or the tunnel with the Evinrude X115. I don't remember my dad running a 15' with the single stacked Chrysler but he could have been playing with it. I'll send him links to the youtubes and he'll probably have a blast watching them also.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dans 13' Wildcat3.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	363586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dan racing in Chicago 3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	376.0 KB 
ID:	363587
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron V View Post
    Here's some more footage that I'm sure Dan will enjoy as well. These are from my family's 8mm silent home movie collection from back in the day. There are all sorts of boats (Checkmates, Starcrafts, Switzers, my dad's 13' Vampire) in them, but I'll point out the Hustlers. This was all filmed before my time. Wish I had grown up then, before the village got a total choke hold on the lake with excessive ordinances and before the lake was patrolled with radar guns and 9mm pistols.

Part 1:

https://youtu.be/SfhYo7mw9DQ

5:30 and again at 8:03 - Dan Kotula's all black (inside and out) 15' Wildcat with Merc 135. Boat was blown over at Kankakee one year.

8:15 - OPC races at Cook's Grove on Bangs Lake, circa '70. Dan, I think your dad is in the Hustler with the Chrysler at 8:23? Kotula was in the black one. I think you might be driving the 13 footer with the V-4 Johnson at 8:32?

9:04 - 9:08 - yes, that is an inflatable Johnny Sea Horse water toy that was given away as a promotion to anyone who bought a new Johnson in about 1970. We still have it. No, it's not for sale.

9:23 - 15' Wildcat with 1100 SS idling in the foreground

Part 2:

https://youtu.be/6U7zBLi6w00

0:47 - 15' Wildcat with inline six passing my dad's 13' Checkmate

1:02 - 2:44 - My uncle's 1971 18' Wildcat being launched and run for the first time. That was a hell of a boat, great in rough water and could carry as many people as you could cram into it. Wish I had it.

2:50 - 7:10 - Family boating and skiing with the 18' Wildcat (and my dad's 13' Checkmate) with all of the relatives at one of my grandma's many summer picnics.

7:26 - 7:31 - Hustler 15' Wildcat @ 58 mph with a Merc 1100SS.

7:34 - 8:59 - My dad's new 1973 Vampire 13' and '71 Merc 650, filmed from the above 15' Hustler.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one with the orange deck and V-4 might have belonged to one of the Nardy brothers if it's not you. They ran Wildcats with V-4s.
    Ron V

16. Likes Dukeofchippewa liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff Baker put some ally pads on a couple of hustlers the one looked like it came from factory i will try and see if my old computer still has them

18. Thanks RIVERRUMMER 70 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Naus one was great run high 60s with stock 135 Rude.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast