User Tag List

Page 68 of 93 FirstFirst ... 18 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1382
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OPT MAx

Thanks for the quick reply..I've been out of it for a while now and have lost a lot of contacts.... Also found a 200 small blk E-tec 2010..know anything about those??// I'm currently running a '94 135 carb. with many many hours on it.

Thanks Rich.
    BobbyR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

E-Tec

As a Mercury man for many years..I love my E-Tecs..no problems at all

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mercury - OMC

Butch,
    thanks for the info. The family has been tied to Mercury since the 40's and I almost feel like I'm going over... All of my old mercurys have givin me good service but I have heard pros and cons about some of the new opt's and wanted to check it out. I have always been able to service my motors so I had not worried much about it. It's a differant world out there now.
    thanks,
    Bobby

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
    As a Mercury man for many years..I love my E-Tecs..no problems at all
    Agreed..........The E-Tecs are the counter to 4 cycle technology...and all I hear about them are rave reviews.

Merc still has a slight edge in top speed applications (over 100 mph)with their 2 cycles, but they have made a conscious decision to go the other way with the 4 cycle Verado line in the mid range.

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyR View Post
    Butch,
    thanks for the info. The family has been tied to Mercury since the 40's and I almost feel like I'm going over... All of my old mercurys have givin me good service but I have heard pros and cons about some of the new opt's and wanted to check it out. I have always been able to service my motors so I had not worried much about it. It's a differant world out there now.
    thanks,
    Bobby
    I put a pair of 225 Optimax on my son's 34 foot Venture about 4 years ago and they have worked perfect, The fuel economy is great also.
    He even got the diagnostic tool to read problem codes and put together test gages for the air/fuel pressures.
    Charlie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bobby R

I don't do anything to my ETecs but plug changes at 100-200 hours and a seasonal water pump service..maybe..and grease the swivel and tilt pins..and make sure the fuel is clean..They run on any octane, even year old stuff..My Fichts were just as good..Forget about service with these.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

for all the stories. I grew up in Sarasota and would love to hear more about Merc here back in the day. When I grew up here in the 80's it was all about Yamaha outboards but I have been to many many Offshore Grands Prix it was a great place to be. Wellcraft, Chris Craft & Donzi all right here I loved it. Even got to design boats for Wellcraft in 1995 before moving on to Honda & General Motors Design.

I have read every page; thanks especially for the racing & Lake X stuff too! Just want you all to know that us relatively young'uns appreciate the stories too!

-Jeff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Led Foot:

Thank you for the pictures..They look great.

One point of correction however...

The 48" Jesse James was not a Chris Cat and had nothing to do with Chris Craft. The Lavin's had a 30' Chris Cat at one time and Chris Craft paid a sponsorship royalty to have their name put on the 36 foot Conquest Cat that followed ( Not a CHris Craft product nor in any way associated with them either). THe 48 footer was a Conquest as well. Conquest was my company and those 2 George Linder designed boats were built in a facility in South Carolina, using a unique wood and fibreglass composite construction technique we all developed, by an extraordinary craftsman named Ken Adams.

Thanks for the memories

T2x
    Last edited by T2x; 12-04-2009 at 08:25 AM.
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome T2x, and thank you for all the great stories and especially for the series of DVD's that you made, I bought them last year and me and my 6 year old son watch them quite often. Just can't get enough video of those boats from the 70's & 80's running so hard. We only got to see them once a year, but I feel lucky that my father would bring us out in his 18' Chris Craft with a small block every year to watch the races. Thanks for the clarification on the Conquest. I am an industrial designer (cars, boats) and that is one sweet looking boat. Wasn't there a Chris Cat line earlier? I want to say they were 30' or so. In Sarasota at the 10th st. ramp we used to see SO much testing activity, what with Chris Craft, Donzi, Wellcraft, etc... all located here at the time.

Any more Sarasota Mercury testing stuff or Sarasota Offshore Grand Prix stories/photos would be greatly appreciated. The night they closed The Boathouse bar at the Hyatt I went down to see if I could score any of the photos off the walls, they had one picture of the most memorable Sarasota race when it was too rough in the Gulf so they ran in through New Pass bridge. The roostertails shot straight up through the drawbridge grid and that bridge was packed with people. Unforgettable for a 13 year old kid. Popeye's is hands down the boat I remember most from that era, we had never seen such a display of power. We could run our little 18 footer right out through New Pass just 20 feet from that 3000 hp machine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics.......... JPlove
    Go boating,be happy!! And wear safety vest please!! And lesson good music...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c5oHITTI8c

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome. There are few more in this gallery:
    http://www.me.com/gallery/#100047

All taken at the basin by the Hyatt Sarasota. Some of these are of the Wellcraft Dealer Show.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ledfoot View Post
    Thanks for the clarification on the Conquest. I am an industrial designer (cars, boats) and that is one sweet looking boat. Wasn't there a Chris Cat line earlier? I want to say they were 30' or so. In Sarasota at the 10th st. ramp we used to see SO much testing activity, what with Chris Craft, Donzi, Wellcraft, etc... all located here at the time.
    Chris Craft had a design contract with George Linder and he brought an updated version of our older 30' Shadow Cat design to them when he and I left Image-Shadow in 1982. At about the same time, I started Conquest Marine, added the amazing Ken Adams to the team, and George and I set about to create one of a kind, custom made single purpose race cats.

Chris Craft built a number of 30 foot Chris Cats and got heavily into racing with them for about 3 years, even hiring "Uncle Billy Don" Pruett as race production manager (kind of like giving a machine gun to a bow hunter.. ) . During this period they also commisioned a 37 foot (dual step) cat "running plug" from my company. It was intended to be used for only prototype testing to confirm its performance prior to production, and was made of exterior plywood (not marine or aviation grade). At about that time Chris Craft began having some "financial problems" as large amounts of cash were going out the door to fund extravagant "lifestyle issues" as I understand it. In any event they never built the 37 foot mold, but turned the plug (complete with temporary deck) over to Tim Ciasulli to race!!!?? It is a tribute to Ken Adams that this "plug" is still in existance to this day.

That plug was unlike the other Conquests in that it was conceived as a higher freeboard pleasure boat (The other Conquests were all pure bred race hulls only) and had extra steps and a different bottom concept. It also did not have the multiple laminates of bi and tri-axial fiberglass that made the later Conquest's virtually indestructable. While the Chris Cat 37 was fast, in the few races it participated in,...it was no Conquest.... It was basically a scaled up Chris/Shadow Cat.

With the money issues swirling around, all of Chris Craft's cat and racing projects were cancelled, and Pruett joined us, as pilot and pit manager, on the "James Gang" (The Jesse James team.....arguably at or near the top of the sport at that time).

From 1982 through 1988, Conquest built a number of race boats from 32 to 48 feet in length, with no two alike (Except for Stu Hayim's 35' Jesse James clone). The 48 footer was our final hull crafted after Mark Lavin's death as the safest and most advanced hull on the planet in loving memory of one of the greatest racers and friends I ever knew. That boat had more one off hardware than anything before or since has enjoyed. The cockpit safety canopy, the 4 dual overhead cam aluminum engines, the drop box transmissions with virtually infinite gear ratio selections, the drives themselves, the propellers, and the rudders were all engineered and custom made for that hull at a cost well into the millions. It was truly a marvel to behold.

Sorry for the long monologue, but the Chris Craft relationship and confusion was more of an annoyance than a significant factor at Conquest.

At the end of the day Chris Craft did little more than produce slightly modified 30' Shadow Cats for a few years and crank out reams of publicity simultaneously.

T2x
    Last edited by T2x; 12-04-2009 at 10:28 AM.
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Page 68 of 93 FirstFirst ... 18 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... LastLast