User Tag List

Page 65 of 93 FirstFirst ... 15 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrewuponLakeX View Post
    That's is a picture of the racing configuration of 888 with my Dad Roy A Ridgell Jr. driving.
    Thought you all would like to see a few more.

" I believe the picture looking down the tunnel was taken during that initial setup testing within the Marine Stadium in Miami."

Love your site Steve, thanks
    I am pretty sure the picture is not in the stadium, but out in Biscane Bay. There were no houses with seawalls that close to the stadium.
    I remember your dad. He was in a lot of the races in the Miami area back then. He was one of the top Mercury lake X drivers!
    Charlie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tim - Good to have you back onboard. I think I see a "Boomer" periscope in the background of that headon shot of your dad. I think that is the first Molinari that I ever saw when he tested it at Lake X prior to Goldcoast Marathon, and I shall never forget seeing that same, looking straight down the tunnel, view as he ran toward the tower with many of us standing there in awe. It was one of those moments in life when one realized that everything had suddenly changed. As so many of us knew your Dad as one of the best, nicest and well liked guys in boating back in the day, we would love to meet you and your Uncle Bobby at OFF2009 in October. Please consider this as a personal invitation from all of us. Best Regards - Steve Sirois

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houseboat racing????

Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    I had an excellent conversation today with Doug & Alice Janisch. After the holidays are over I will have some very interesting & fun stories about the Thunderbird Drifter-Cruise houseboat episodes to include the 1967ski-trip up the East Coast to the 1967 Montreal Expo followed by the harrowing trip back down the Mississippi River & across the Gulf of Mexico. Acouple of years I wrote a story about the storm they encountered in the Gulf.....However, I got many of the deatils wrong. Now I have the correct story. Doug, Cotton Simms, a Photographer, and a Thunderbird Fiberglass man are incredibly fortunate to have made it through that storm alive. Eventually, there will also be at least one story about the Houseboat in the 1967 Bahama 500. - Steve
    Where are the stories promised???? have you and Doug finished the many stories you where workng on??? We are in suspence waiting.....Oops, which holidays?????????????????? Six weeks - Till OFF???????
    BobbyR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bobby - Thanks for the prompt. I got an e-mail from Alice Janisch today. As a result of a telephone conversion with Doug awhile back, I had rewritten the Gulf storm story and sent it to Doug for his approval. Alice told me to tell you that "They are on it" and that Doug has written another story which I should have soon. MORE IMPORTANTLY..she told me that she and Doug will be at OFF2009. We have gotten positive responses from many people that we will all remember and, for those in the know, Doug Janisch rates right up there at the top of the pyramid. Thanks again and looking forward to seeing you there. - Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OFF2009 Update as of 21 Sep 09

OFF2009 Capsule as of 21 September 2009<O</O
    <O</O
    Who….? <O</O
    All types of boat racers and/or anyone remotely associated, to include families. Those who just want to meet and greet some of the legends of boat racing are also welcome. We could not possibly send out personal invitations to everyone. Since we do not have, and do not intend to have, a budget, we will count on forums and word of mouth from you to non-interneters, to spread the word.<O</O
    <O</O

What…?<O</O
    “Old Farts Forever”, OFF2009 in Abacoa/Jupiter Florida, 23-25 October 2009. This is a gathering of old boat racers and their associates from “Back In The Day” to socialize and have a little fun. All events will be very informal. There are no registration fees and no fees to attend any of the scheduled events. All costs (lodging, food, drinks, entertainment, golf, fishing, etc.) will be the responsibility of each individual. This concept has allowed OFF to go ON, regardless of the economy.<O</O
    <O</O

When…? Where…?<O</O
    Friday, 23 October 2009 – 4:00PM-until at JJ Muggs Stadium Grill, 1203 Town Center Drive, Jupiter Florida. Cash bar and food. We will have several old and new race boats on display in the street and in the park across the street.<O</O
    <O</O

Saturday 24 October 2009 – 11:AM-1:00PM Open House at Geico Race Shop, Bldg A, 7555 Garden Road, Riviera Beach Florida.<O</O
    <O</O

Saturday 24 October 2009 – 4:00PM-until at Brix Italian Fishery, 1000 North US Hwy 1, Jupiter Florida. Cash bar and food. Race boats on display. Tribute to all old boat racers who are no longer with us.<O</O
    <O</O

Sunday 25 October 2009 – Golf, Fishing, Shopping, whatever floats your boat.<O</O
    <O</O

Why…? Because!!!!<O</O
    <O</O

Contact… OFF2009@comcast.net <O</O
    <O</O

Hotels…
    <O</O
    LaQuinta Inn
    34 Fishermans Wharf
    Jupiter , FL 33477
    (561)575-7201 ask for Theresa and mention OFF for $59 rate

Best Western Intercoastal Inn
    810 South US Highway 1
    Jupiter, FL 33477
    (561)575-2936 mention OFF or Historic race boats for $79 rate

Jupiter Waterfront Inn
    18903 SE Federal Hwy
    Tequesta, FL 33469
    (561) 747-9085 mention OFF or Historic race boats for $99 rate<O</O

<O</O

Homewood Suites by Hilton
    4700 Donald Ross Road
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33418
    (561) 622-7799 Ask for Andrew for $145 rate<O</O

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get Wet At OFF2009

I just received the following message from John "Cadillac" McDaniel reference OFF2009 with his very kind offer for anyone who would like to get their boat wet and or store it. - Steve Sirois

Hola, I have five acres in Stuart just north of the event and want to
    make it available to anyone who might want to come with a camper or
    need a spot to store a boat or anything for the event. Safe and no
    worries about theft. 8 mile west of I-95 at exit 101 "Stuart /
    Indiantown" 8625 SW Kanner Hwy, Indiantown, FL 34956 (772) 285-2266 cadillacboats@me.com

I also have a freshwater ramp where any of the boats can run if they'd
    like to on the Ockeechobee Waterway.

Peace, Cadillac McDaniel

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello race fans!! There is a name that I had misplaced in this computer of mine ( up stairs) - Bobby Moore - I had his phone number but have misplaced it ( along with most everything else). Not from the Lake but a bigggg part of off shore racing history. He hated small boats and after a ride with me in a 16' Donzi ( that was ready to be loaded on the truck for a boat show) he disliked them more. I wrecked the boat and Bobby lost his wallet.....another story..... what I started out to say is maybe someone might have his info and let him know about this. He still lives in Hollwood I think. How bout it Brownie?????????????
    Steve, your thread is awfully quite to be soo close to the OFF... Can you wake up all these ole people long enough for the event???? Are all the activities from noon till three???? See you there.....
    BobbyR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bobby/Billy Moore

You can get a hold of my old friend Bobby Moore, and his son Billy, who's following close in his dad's footsteps, at their new shop in Stonewall, North Carolina. They started set'n it up back in 2003, and now have a nice building to work out of, for anything anyone might need, thats offshore powerboat related. His phone numbers are: 252-229-9195 and/or 252-229-1456. He also has a new website. Give them a shout at www.BobbyMooresMarine.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For prospective attendees to OFF2009. Most of you know that Ken Warby is the World Waterspeed Record holder at 317.60mph. As we have stated in the past, OFF2009 is open to boatracers of all types, their compatriots and families, anyone interested in boatracing, and regardless of level of success. However, there will indeed be boatracers like Ken Warby present that are "Legendary". If names like Ken Warby, Odell Lewis, Bill Seebold, John Bakos, Brownie, Mel Riggs, Charlie McCarthy, Carl Moesly, Kenny Kitson, Rich Luhrs, Jackie Wilson and many others mean something to you, please come meet them. Also, if boats like Switzercraft Wing, Bertram Moppie, Raveau, Geico, 7 liter hydro, Speed Skiff, D hydro, and others mean something to you, come see them. AND, to those bringing boats to display, I have a pretty good idea who most of you are, but it would be helpful if you would send confirmation of your name, boat, e-mail, and cell phone number to me at OFF2009@comcast.net I will rsepond with my cell phone number so you can contact me upon your arrival. I will also supply the times that you will be able to park your boats at JJ Muggs and BRIX as well as safe night time storage location. Bobby Ridgell and I will be there to help you with those arrangements. Best Regards to All and we are looking forward to seeing You and Yours - Steve Sirois and Jim Hauser <!-- / message -->
    <!-- controls -->

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OFF2009 Final Countdown

8 Days and Counting!
    Got 2 very cool e-mails yesterday.

#1-Mike Mullins will display his twin Evinrude Molinari in race ready condition.
    This is the wooden Moli that Cesare Scotti won the 1969 Havasu World Outboard Championship in.

#2-Dave Switzer may attend on Saturday.
    Dave designed the Switzercraft Wing that won many races “back in the day”
    Rich Luhrs will display his Switzercraft Wing on both days.
    Kenny Kitson will be at OFF. Kenny won the 1968 Havasu World Outboard Championship in his Switzercraft Wing “El Diablo”.

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Bring us pictures of the people and boats ... or else!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guess ill be a week or so late on having my boat done ....wanted to bring it down to show and tell. haha.

hopefully i will be there sat.
    1989 hydrostream HST- SOLD

???? ???????......
    225 promax

Computers let you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila

So your daughter's a hooker, and it spoiled your day. Look at the bright side, its really good pay.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sam - I only wish you would be there. But...Yes, I will definately bring pictures of people and boats to the Forums. Best Regards - Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    Bobby - Thanks for the prompt. I got an e-mail from Alice Janisch today. As a result of a telephone conversion with Doug awhile back, I had rewritten the Gulf storm story and sent it to Doug for his approval. Alice told me to tell you that "They are on it" and that Doug has written another story which I should have soon. MORE IMPORTANTLY..she told me that she and Doug will be at OFF2009. We have gotten positive responses from many people that we will all remember and, for those in the know, Doug Janisch rates right up there at the top of the pyramid. Thanks again and looking forward to seeing you there. - Steve
    No sooner said than done. The following story is a corrected version (by Doug Janisch) of one that I wrote a couple of years ago. Doug Janisch will be at OFF2009. I have always been a fan of factual survival stories. The following is one that is as real as it gets. Sooooooo...Here it is.

In 1967 Thunderbird President, Dick Genth, and Kiekhaefer Corporation’s Carl Kiekhaefer entered into a joint venture to publicize the Driftercruise Houseboats built by Thunderbird and Mercruiser 160 sterndrive units. They squeezed four (4) Mercruiser 160s into the engine compartment of one of the 40’ houseboats with the intention of entering this rather ungainly craft in the Bahama 500 Offshore Powerboat Race. Furthermore, the boat was to be driven by none other than the popular Miami Herald boating writer, Jim Martenhoff. This was to be the inaugural of this longest of all offshore events staged by the inimitable Red Crise. The race would start in front of the Lucayan Villas near Freeport on Grand Bahama Island and run for 500 nautical miles through the Bahamas and finish back at the point of origination. The boat was aptly named “The Tortoise” since it would be racing against 62 of the fastest offshore powerboats in the world. The man that would ride with Martenhoff in order to keep the Mercruiser metal running was Ace Mechanic Doug Janisch. This was only the beginning of Doug’s adventures with “The Tortoise” later to be renamed “Miss Sunshine”. The wonderful story of the Bahama 500 in the “Turtle” will be addressed at a later time. Somewhere along the way, following the Bahama 500, someone came up with the brilliant idea for a trek from Florida to end up at the Montreal World’s Fair (Expo ‘67)…..while pulling a bevy of vivacious water skiers behind the Sunny Lady. Red lips painted on her bow, “Miss Sunshine” cast off with her ladies (and Doug) to attempt the longest water ski marathon in history. At least two skiers would always be in tow. Beginning in St. Petersburg, the course went South to Ft. Meyers, then headed across Lake Okeechobee to the East Coast. Then an unbelievable course up the inland waterway which included “The Dismal Swamp” and went outside, YES- OFFSHORE –TWICE (with girls in tow)!! Safely back in at Ocean City, it was on to the Statue of Liberty, across Lake Champlain, to be welcomed at Expo ’67 in Montreal by hundreds of boats in the harbor. “Miss Sunshine” and crew got to rest briefly, then it was off to the command performance issued by Mr. Kiekhaefer . Now Doug had to prepare “Miss Sunshine” for yet another seemingly impossible journey from Canada to Oshkosh, Wis. Mr K. would have the skiers perform at Mercury’s annual press conference on Lake Winnebago. 4000 miles-so far!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next Page

That trip, as well as the amazing journey down the mighty Mississippi River to the Gulf of Mexico also provided fodder for many incredible stories which will be addressed in the future. But for now, we shall turn to one very specific adventure and near catastrophe of the “Miss Sunshine”.

Page 65 of 93 FirstFirst ... 15 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... LastLast