User Tag List

Page 64 of 93 FirstFirst ... 14 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off2009

OFF IS ON!!!

All reports of our death are greatly exaggerated!!!<O</O

“Old Farts Forever”, OFF2009 in Jupiter Florida, 23-25 October 2009, is a definite go. The “Tropic Thunder” OSS race scheduled for that week has indeed been canceled. That event is a victim of the current economy as sponsorship has dried up. However, OFF2009 is up and running. From the very beginning we opted to be an event without a budget. That simply means that we have made, and will continue to make, arrangements for a 2-3 day gathering of old boat racers to socialize and have a little fun. All events will be very informal. There are no registration fees and no fees to attend any of the scheduled events. All costs (lodging, food, drinks, entertainment, golf, fishing, etc.) will be the responsibility of each individual. This concept has allowed OFF to go ON regardless of the economy. We are not sponsor dependent. However, several organizations and individuals have graciously offered to help. Rich Luhrs is bringing his immaculately restored Switzer wing. Geico racing will display their offshore boat and host an open house at their shop. We currently have commitments for a Raveau, a 7 liter Hydro and a Jersey Skiff and are working on attaining other types. While informality is the rule, it would be nice if we have some idea of how many people to expect. You can help in that regard by responding to off2009@comcast.net <O</O
    Currently there are 3 scheduled events as follows:<O</O
    Friday, 23 October – 4:00PM-until at JJ Muggs Stadium Grill, 1203 Town Center Drive, Jupiter Florida. Cash bar and food. We will have several race boats on display in the park across the street.<O</O
    Saturday 24 October – 11:AM-2:00PM Open House at Geico Race Shop, Bldg A, 7555 Garden Road, Riviera Beach Florida.<O</O
    Saturday 24 October – 4:00PM-until at Brix Italian Fishery, 1000 North US Hwy 1, Jupiter Florida. Cash bar and food. Race boats on display.<O</O
    Sunday 25 October – Golf, Fishing, Shopping, whatever floats your boat. <O</O
    We are currently working on a “Headquarters” Hotel, however we will also identify others in order to suit different budgets.<O</O
    Last edited by seeroy; 07-30-2009 at 07:30 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, I went to visit my girlfriend in Melbourne last weekend, and decided to take a little tourist trip up 441 Sunday afternoon. Michelle was a good sport and drove me out there, although her GPS could locate neither Lake Conlin nor the Old Melbourne Hwy. Just for everyone's info, for all intents and purposes "Old Melbourne Highway" comes to an end at the Lake X guard shack - there is no getting there from the southeast. You must turn off 441 Northwest of the lake and drive the 4-5 miles to get there. The gate guard was as nice as he could be, and actually had a reaonable knowledge of the history of the site. He knew who both Carl Kiekhaefer and Ken Kirchman were, as well as the lake's importance in outboard and boating history and what had gone on there over the years.

It seems they have to have 5 or 6 security people on ATVs continuously patrolling the grounds to keep hunters and poachers off the property, there are some beautiful deer out there as you can see. It is eerily quiet too... although if you strain really hard you can almost hear the sound of stackers echoing through the cypress trees.

The picture quality isn't the best - it started raining really hard right as we got there, but I did the best I could. Hope you all enjoy them.

The "new shop":

The deer at a feeder, and the foot bridge over the channel to the new shop:

The timing tower (sorry, this is the best angle you can get from the gate):

Tracy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tracy - Absolutely beautiful pictures! They exactly portray the very serene environment that I expected would exist there today. I don't know what the Kirchman family plans for the future, but I am glad they have maintained the land in the manner that they have. Thank you for your pictures, from all of us that spent time at that magic place.
    Best Regards - Steve Sirois

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told that the property was being set up in a trust for the Boy Scouts of America, sounded like a great thing to do with it. The entire thing is over 11,000 acres. It is certainly being maintained very well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the photos, Many wondrfull friendships were made at that place,,, Was talking to Phil Schenk the other day, and talked about what we wouldn't give to run one more shift of endurance , Their even in that damn diesel powered boat they had their,,,,,,,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lake X Photo's

Welcome to Scream & Fly Tracy! And thank-you for going to the X & sharing your camera prowess. You certainly put your best foot forward in your introduction, lol.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The photos are great. Too bad someone can't approach the Kirchman family to let you former Kiekhaefer Lake X employees back on the property for a few hours to renew old memories. Maybe one of you who knows Fred Kiekhaefer can convince him to arrange this for you guys and for himself. History and memories are important as this thread demonstrates. For me, I'd appreciate seeing more pictures since I was never there, but you guys have taken me there with your stories and photos. I appreciate that and this thread. Lake X , Placidia and Siesta Key have always been of great interest to me since I worked for my local Merc dealer as a kid and from seeing all the yellow Mercury boats running up and down the intracoastal. In my small way, I feel connected to Kiekhaefer Mercury. Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate all of this.
    Gary Larson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably difficult to get back on the Lake X property,,,,,,,,, Plan B is for everyone to comee to OFF get together @ Jupiter Fl. Oct23rd-24, many Lake X Farts will be there...........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xyzee farts will definitely be there.
    Am bringing the original fonda newsletters on how fi really started. That should gain some attention.!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was a bit young so i dont remember much but i do remember the popeyes boat when i was a kid,for some reason that boat has stood out in my mind all this time. my aunt lived on the intercoastal right next to the coastguard station in nokomis,fl man i miss that place... im fairly new to the performance boating i wish i had been into it alot sooner .. seems like ive missed out on an awseome era.

about the jupiter event.. is this open to everyone? i live about 15-20 minutes from there. It would be cool to meet some legends and hear a few stories... is there gonna be any boating happening that weekend?
    1989 hydrostream HST- SOLD

???? ???????......
    225 promax

Computers let you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila

So your daughter's a hooker, and it spoiled your day. Look at the bright side, its really good pay.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twogees View Post
    i was a bit young so i dont remember much but i do remember the popeyes boat when i was a kid,for some reason that boat has stood out in my mind all this time. my aunt lived on the intercoastal right next to the coastguard station in nokomis,fl man i miss that place... im fairly new to the performance boating i wish i had been into it alot sooner .. seems like ive missed out on an awseome era.

about the jupiter event.. is this open to everyone? i live about 15-20 minutes from there. It would be cool to meet some legends and hear a few stories... is there gonna be any boating happening that weekend?
    twogees - Sure. Stop by. Very informal event. Be glad to meet you - Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine Lake X being as placid as it is in the pictures after reading all the stories of you crazy a-- lunatics running around the place. It was a different time and a more carefree era. I can understand why you guys miss the Lake X days so much It had to be great fun. I'll bet there are alot of ghosts at Lake X and on a quiet night you can still hear a tower of power howling around the lake on a never ending endurance run.
    I'm sorry I'll be up north when you have the OFF get together of you old farts. Wait a minute, I'm an old fart too but without any history and stories of Lake X and racing. Wish I could meet up with you guys. In any case, I'll keep reading this site. Keep the stories coming.
    Gary Larson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OFF2009 Update

OFF2009 Update<O</O
    <O</O
    Things Are Getting Festive…And Yet Will Remain Very Informal!!!<O</O
    <O</O
    OFF2009 (October 23-25 2009) is really beginning to pick up steam. The town of Abacoa/Jupiter is getting very interested and has created some media attention in the local area. They will close the streets in front and beside JJ Muggs for the Friday event so we can park boats there. Geico truck drivers will provide security for all boats during the evening. We have also arranged nighttime secure parking for the boats. There will be a band in the park across the street and street vendors in the area. Abacoa may also provide a couple of 9’ screens on the street so we can present some videos to the civilians in the area. And yet we will stay the way we want it. That is, very informal with our private room inside JJ Muggs. Saturday events will also be low key with “Old Farts” taking naps, the Geico Race shop open house and evening at BRIX. Jackie Wilson has volunteered to run a “Texas Scramble” golf tournament for whoever wants to chase that little round ball around. The when and where of Golf will depend on what sort of feedback he gets from the Duffers in the group. Details to follow. Once again, many have let us know of their intent to be there. It would be nice to have an idea about who else will be there. So drop us a line at OFF2009@comcast.net and let us know your intent and something about yourself. Photos would also be nice. Several area hotels have given us very good rates. When you call, mention OFF and, if that doesn’t work, just mention historic boat racers. Hotels and rates are as follows:

<O</O<O</O
    LaQuinta Inn
    34 Fishermans Wharf
    Jupiter , FL 33477
    (561)575-7201 ask for Theresa and mention OFF for $59 rate

Best Western Intercoastal Inn
    810 South US Highway 1
    Jupiter, FL 33477
    (561)575-2936 mention OFF or Historic race boats for $79 rate

Jupiter Waterfront Inn
    18903 SE Federal Hwy
    Tequesta, FL 33469
    (561) 747-9085 mention OFF or Historic race boats for $99 rate
    <O</O

<O</O
    Homewood Suites by Hilton
    4700 Donald Ross Road
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33418
    (561) 622-7799 Ask for Andrew for $145 rate<O</O

<O</O

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scafo Di Molinari

Quote Originally Posted by digital_jeff View Post
    Here is another shot, probably in its final race configuration.

jeff
    That's is a picture of the racing configuration of 888 with my Dad Roy A Ridgell Jr. driving.
    Thought you all would like to see a few more.

My dad always said he had very little time to set-up the boat before the race. I believe the picture looking down the tunnel was taken during that initial setup testing within the Marine Stadium in Miami.

The story that he also told was of his feet on the steering wheel butt on the gas tank and head resting on the front cowling of the engine. He said he was lucky that the photo helicopter did not catch him in that position because Mr. K would have flipped, pun intended.

Love your site Steve, thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 888Molinari.jpg   888Molinari2.jpg   888Molinari3.jpg   888Molinari4.jpg  

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Greatly appreciated! Anything you can add would be wonderful!

Page 64 of 93 FirstFirst ... 14 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... LastLast