User Tag List

Page 59 of 93 FirstFirst ... 9 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were these ground effect boats.....
    and where did they end up?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    Were these ground effect boats.....
    and where did they end up?
    The second one wound up broken up in a locked shed in Oshkosh in 1972. I'm sure it was probably put in a dumpster after that.

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
    I never really knew Izzy, but I sure knew Ted from my days with Skip Talbot..
    Steve, why don't you come to Tavares on Friday for the Antique Boat Fest..We are meeting Dave Craig and Jon Culver there..they are leaving Friday night..We will be there till Sunday..Staying at Crosbys in Apopka..Carl and Jeanne won't be able to come, but they said if we are bored to come to their house..

Butch
    Thanks for the invite Butch, but no can do. Iris has me tied up planting all the new stuff she just bought for the yard. Seems like I have to plan several months ahead to go anywhere. I was blown away last year by how young Dave Craig still looks. Tell him I said hi. Best Regards - Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    The second one wound up broken up in a locked shed in Oshkosh in 1972. I'm sure it was probably put in a dumpster after that.

T2x
    shame, I got a mate that has a few old flying things and the stuff that looks like it would never work seems to be worth a lot of money to collectors....
    All you need is a history/serial number/factory tag and you can build a new Mustang ( P51) or Spitfire these days but they cost as much to build as they are selling for.
    So the smaller simple stuff has a lot of appeal.
    Powerabout

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave Craig and Doug Janisch at last years "Old Farts Gathering". Recently I sent Doug my rewritten version of his Gulf of Mexico "Near Death Experience" in the Miss Sunshine houseboat. When he gets finished adding his comments, I will post it here. - Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill often talked about Doug Janisch, maybe i'll get to meet him at the "old Farts " in Palm city.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I have mentioned in the past, I worked for John McCall in the early 70's. At the time he was working on a "secret project" at the Lake. It took me quite some time to garner any info from him on what he was working on, but I do remember him finally telling me that he was working on a "flying boat" and that he was building an enclosed cockpit for it, along with (I believe) some modifications that would help it stay level in turns.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Current Lake X

Just returned from St Cloud FL. Made two trips to see about getting onto Lake X just to take some pics. I was told the new owner has it as a nature preserve. I was not able to get on because the owner was not around to okay it. I will try to post some pics I took from outside the fence if I can figure out how to post a pic.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1629.jpg   100_1626.jpg   100_1625.jpg   100_1623.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Placida

Drove by the old Placida facility last weekend and it looked like nothing was going on there at all. Looked pretty deserted, but it was a Saturday.
    Gary Larson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    That's the one I saw in Oshkosh......in pieces....

T2x
    I believe that is the one that Elmer Nord tried to fly. I was on the lake in the rescue boat that day. the rescue boat on the north end got there first. Elmer ruptured a disc that day. Figure that he went approx. 50 to 80 feet in the air. Scary????

Mike R.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have really enjoyed reading and looking at these pics. I may never understand Big Business but it is a shame that Lake X was not preserved and they could have charged a admission fee just to visit it. Thanks for doing this gentlemen.

22R
    Allison XB2002/XR6 Merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

# 710 Lonnie Todd

Thread # 817 - #710 Lonnie Todd

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old Farts Forever (OFF)

Old Farts Forever (OFF) – Once an Old Fart, Forever an Old Fart!
    Jim Hauser has selected the acronym “OFF” for the October 23-24, 2009 gathering in Abacoa/Jupiter, Florida. This event will run simultaneously with the Offshore Super Series (OSS) race at the same location. The OSS race is aptly named “Tropic Thunder”. Thus, Old Farts Forever fits neatly into the scheme of things. Yes…there is a subtle joke there. The “OFF” gathering is beginning to pick up steam with the end of the major boat show season. The concept is very simple. Jim will be making arrangements for a gathering of boat racers and their associates from “Back In The Day” to gather under very casual conditions to shoot the breeze, talk about their experiences, and tell a few lies. This gathering is open to all types of boat racers as well as those who just want to meet and greet some of the legends of boat racing. I have it on good authority that many legends, past and present, will likely be in attendance. Jim is currently in contact with several significant organizations and names in the boat racing community that have promised to cooperate in helping to make this a memorable event. Those organizations and names will be made known in the near future. Suffice it to say that you will recognize them. Jim is searching for a location that allows for 100-500 folks to gather in a separate room with “pay as you go” bar and food. He has tasked me with two things.
    First is to publicize the gathering on this and other internet forums. Since we do not have, and do not intend to have, a budget, we will count on forums and word of mouth from you to non-interneters, to spread the word.
    Secondly, I have been tasked to put together a simple program for the events. I am soliciting information from you for that program. I am also soliciting the same information on those legends that have left this life. I would like to salute them with a silent toast. They are a huge part of our history. Your inputs will allow me to put together a Powerpoint presentation that will run continuously at the events. I will make an attempt to recognize everyone that attends, but that requires your input. Finally I would like to thank those that put together last year’s event in Sunny Isles Beach. That event is what inspired Jim Hauser to create the upcoming “OFF” gathering.
    Sooooo…..here is what I need fromYOU! Please provide the following:
    Your name.
    (Optional) User name on forums.
    Very short biography.
    Back in the Day” and present digital (.jpg or .bmp) photos of yourself and your boat(s). PLEASE submit photos as ATTACHMENTS.
    Any of the same data on those who have left this life.
    Submit information to this e-mail address. off2009@comcast.net
    Thank You – Steve Sirois (seeroy)
    Last edited by seeroy; 04-07-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya Steve, Well, well well, who lit the blue touch paper, -------well and truly launched i'd say. Congrats on getting past a positive maybe. Promise to be there, no matter what.Now "LEGENDS" there's a thing and i quote------is a narrative of human actions that are perceived both by teller and listeners to take place within human history and to possess qualities that give the tale ----VERISIMILITUDE----- and should not include happenings beyond the realms of possibility but may include 'MIRACLES' -unquote. Now we come to Verisimilitude -------that's where truth, fiction and reality must conform to true life. YUP !!!!!!! reckon there will be a fair few of those at the gathering. Great stuff Steve, will spread the gospel JRW

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Hiya Steve, Well, well well, who lit the blue touch paper, -------well and truly launched i'd say. Congrats on getting past a positive maybe. Promise to be there, no matter what.Now "LEGENDS" there's a thing and i quote------is a narrative of human actions that are perceived both by teller and listeners to take place within human history and to possess qualities that give the tale ----VERISIMILITUDE----- and should not include happenings beyond the realms of possibility but may include 'MIRACLES' -unquote. Now we come to Verisimilitude -------that's where truth, fiction and reality must conform to true life. YUP !!!!!!! reckon there will be a fair few of those at the gathering. Great stuff Steve, will spread the gospel JRW
    Jackie - It's like I said "and tell a few lies" . On another note, from one Old Fart to another, truly glad to see you back with the eyesight of an eagle. -Steve

Page 59 of 93 FirstFirst ... 9 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... LastLast