User Tag List

Page 58 of 93 FirstFirst ... 8 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

George Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
    The Jones Cat dynamic duo..George and Roy
    Bobby and Butch---I know I have some pictures of George---
    Key West-Nov 1970--I think he had rigged the original Aeromarine I, by himself, at the 'Ledge': Mr. K had "retired" from Mercury 12 months earlier, George was living in a travel trailer outside the plant---towed that 36' Cigarette from Wisconsin to Key West with a half ton Chev pickup---George could do anything---
    Gene
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan0010.jpg   scan0009.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gofish7070 View Post
    Again sorry of breaking off of Lake X,,,, But to update, spoke with Charlie McCarthy of HORBA today and on their behalf, has pledged their complete support to Octobers Old Farts party,, keep telling everyone, And thos e who were @ Sunni Isles last June,,,, The Sea Ray girl will be their,,,, excuse me. I mean Jackies Grand-Daughter will be in attendance.....
    Gene, I know you ain't never gonna believe this, but i will ask 2 of the most gorgeous looking gals in Florida , if they would be kind enough to grace the old farts party for a few hours. One is my oldest grandaughter LOUISE, blonde, 38 double d, legs all the way to heaven and a smile to die for. The second is My youngest grandaughter KATE, same sort of build, 21 this month, no nonsense type of gal. They both work for Fountain World Wide and if you want to know any more, phone HIS REGGIENESS.
    What more can a guy do ???? bring you the best looking gals in "PROBABLY" the whole of the USA, and bring you my most modest self.

If i fall down , due to a little too much excitement and libation , please treat me gently. Wrap me up warm["cos i hate the cold"] pillow under my head , do not disturb for at least 3 hrs. Then we can start all over again.
    'QLD FARTS FOREVER'

Will be silent from this end from next Thursday, off to England for a couple of weeks, then back to Montpellier to have the other peeper seen to. Will be early April before this scribe starts bothering you all again. God bless y'all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finish - Miami-Nassau '61

The finish…..
    We had experienced some swells after leaving Northwest Light but I thought nothing of it. We rounded the rocks out of Chub Cay and in a few miles we were in the depths of the “Tongue of the ocean” a deep area that runs in from the Atlantic</ST1 by the “Hole in the wall”.<O</O
    The swells were 8 to 10 feet tall but they were 40+ feet apart. It was like a roller coaster, we would launch off the top but they were so rounded the props would never leave the water. Now we were running out of boats ahead or they were harder to see because of the swells. Then I pick up something on the horizon, I point it out to George. We can see two boats ahead now.<O></O>
    Then the <ST1 harbor, we’re there, but where’s the finish?? We pass one boat before we get passed the light house. There are docks everywhere, all crowded with people. There are large boats anchored in the harbor. People are waving and hollering, shooting off fireworks. Is this it??? George is weaving in and out of the anchored boats, running under they’re anchor lines, looking for the finish. We have almost stopped twice as the fire works sound like the finish line. We pass another boat in the Harbor.<O></O>
    We are running out of harbor, we can see some open water ahead. Then we see Odell’s boat at the dock, no other boats, are we second???? We pass the dock to be sure of the finish, the gun sounds, this must be it. Then we see another boat. I think it was Don Arnnow (sp) in a plywood triple engine inboard. There is much excitement at the dock EC ask if we need anything, for the first time I realize that I’m thirsty.<O></O>
    “I’ll have something to drink” I said. The next thing I know Billy Steel is handing me a glass of something wet and cold. Dry Martini, WOW!! That got my attention, but it didn’t quench my thirst. We have people all over us and someone says ‘”Your first outboard and third over all.” We’re celebrities, this feels good…This is what it is all about… I’m hooked…. Party time…. I believe that ECK allowed us to party for two days before bringing it to our attention that we had to get all this hardware home. <O></O>
    I know there has to have be a hundred or more stories about that same race out there some where…<O></O>
    That’s the way I remember it, anyway………Thanks for listening <O></O>
    I rode back to Miami with George in the cat along with a group of Lake boats..

<OPicture to follow….<O></O>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OLEGATOR View Post
    I Went To Work For Hagood Brothers In Late 1958. Tommy Hagood And Gene Meadors Had Just Run The Mississippi River Marathon In A 16' Wood Power Cat. The Miami 9 Hour Was Going To Be The Next Race. Tommy Decided The Boat Needed A New Bottom. We Cut Two Pieces Of 3/4" Plywood And Screwed And Glued Them To The Sponsons. After Painting Was Finished We Turned The Boat Over So We Could Load Back On The Trailer. We Noticed It Did Not Sit Straight On The Flat Concrete. It Was Determined The Sponsons Were Not Straight With Each Other. Tommy Decided, No Problem. We Would All Gather Around The Boat And Slide It Back And Forth A Few Times And Cure The Problem. While We Were Doing This George Drove Up. I Don't Remember If He Had A Delivery From The Lake Or Was Picking Up Something From The Store. He Was Amused With Our Method. We Had To Turn The Boat Back Over And Refinish The Bottom. It Was Sometime Later We Heard He Had Improved On Our Method. He Used A Vehicle Instead Of Manpower To Move The Boat.
    Hello Mr. Hunt,
    I thought that might be you. I know that with all the time you had in race boats in the 60's and 70's (and maybe the 80's) you have a lot of stories to tell. Hope you are doing well.
    BobbyR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lippisch Air Boat

Finally after searching high and low I found what some of you have been looking for. Dated May 4, 1969, these are shots of the Lippisch Air Boat at the lake. I had seen other shots of this same boat at other locations, but this was the first time I was actually able to associate a name with the boat.
    As always, please post any info you guys may have.
    Have a good weekend,
    jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lippisch 1 5-4-69.jpg   Lippisch 2 5-4-69.jpg  

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Jeff, those are fantastic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy in the green shirt looks a little like Ted Jones..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OLEGATOR View Post
    The One I Saw In The Hanger Had A Six Cylinder Engine. Was It A Totally Different Boat, Or, This Boat Modified? It Looked A Lot Different. I Know John Mccall Did Some Work Om The Boat, But I Don't Exactly What He Did.
    I get the feeling that there was more than one "flying boat". The one I saw was in Oshkosh, in pieces after a crash, and looked nothing like the one in these pictures.

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lippisch

I have other shots of this boat, but also, as T2X mentioned, I have shots of another boat - not at the lake. This boat is white with a single vertical & horizontal stabilizer. Up to now, I have been reluctant to post them here because they were not asscoiated with the lake.

However, I haven't been able to upload any pix since friday. I'll try again later.

jeff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
    The guy in the green shirt looks a little like Ted Jones..
    Butch - I agree. Green shirt looks like Ted Jones. White shirt is Izzy Lashmore.

Jeff - These are incredible pics. Don't worry about non-Lake X aspect. Also, sorry I didn't respond to your Friday e-mail. I was a little busy.

-Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lippisch

Here are a few more...

jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lippisch 3 5-4-69.jpg   Lippisch 4 5-4-69.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Experimental boat

Here are the shots of the white boat I mentioned earlier.

jeff

Hi Steve,
    These are two of the shots we had discussed some time back. So far, I haven't found any good running shots. But stay tuned, you never know...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Experimental 1.jpg   Experimental 2.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    Butch - I agree. Green shirt looks like Ted Jones. White shirt is Izzy Lashmore.

Jeff - These are incredible pics. Don't worry about non-Lake X aspect. Also, sorry I didn't respond to your Friday e-mail. I was a little busy.

-Steve
    I never really knew Izzy, but I sure knew Ted from my days with Skip Talbot..
    Steve, why don't you come to Tavares on Friday for the Antique Boat Fest..We are meeting Dave Craig and Jon Culver there..they are leaving Friday night..We will be there till Sunday..Staying at Crosbys in Apopka..Carl and Jeanne won't be able to come, but they said if we are bored to come to their house..

Butch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GREAT pictures Jeff.......Thanks

Butch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_jeff View Post
    Here are the shots of the white boat I mentioned earlier.

jeff

Hi Steve,
    These are two of the shots we had discussed some time back. So far, I haven't found any good running shots. But stay tuned, you never know...
    That's the one I saw in Oshkosh......in pieces....

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Page 58 of 93 FirstFirst ... 8 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... LastLast