User Tag List

Page 57 of 93 FirstFirst ... 7 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bobby,

I remember being at the DuPont Plaza before the race shaking my head in wonder at the cat you and George were going to run..amazing..

Butch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks lilabner,
    At my age you sometimes wonder if all that really happened...I have said before that not having anyone in Texas that had lived that life, I had stored all this info and had not used it until a friend called my attention to this thread. I have had fun remembering people and things that has happened back then. The last contact was in"89 at the Lake "X" reunion...
    BobbyR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff Bobby R. Remember arriving @Lake X insummer of 1964,While living in one of the trailers with Bill Sirois , I remember him talking of George, He said that he was truly Crazy, He was dumb enough to take a catamaran in the ocean. your story connects the dots,,, Super Stuff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gofish7070 View Post
    Great stuff Bobby R. Remember arriving @Lake X insummer of 1964,While living in one of the trailers with Bill Sirois , I remember him talking of George, He said that he was truly Crazy, He was dumb enough to take a catamaran in the ocean. your story connects the dots,,, Super Stuff
    George's credits included the Alaska marthon from Juno to Seattle. The Mississippi marthon from ( I may be wrong here) Memphis to New Orleans and all the Florida Marthons.. but George was Crazy...he loved to race....Ummmm fit right in at the Lake....
    He had no problem finding someone dumb & crazy enough to ride with him.
    Roy and I grew up on the water and it was secound nature for us to be on the wet stuff. Like the Bimini race around '62. Roy and I had run a couple of 14' Crestliners with 110 Mercurisers in a one hour race. These were flat bottom, round chine pleasure boats. Some of you have probably never heard of this boat. While still in Miami the ole' man decided that the group would race the Bimini race... That's crazy....another story

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gofish7070

Too bad Bill isn't still around to tell us why he rode the deck on George's cat...Now who is crazy-er?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
    Too bad Bill isn't still around to tell us why he rode the deck on George's cat...Now who is crazy-er?
    Butch - It probably came from a sport that Bill (and I) participated in when in High School in Sarasota. It was called "Roof Riding". A bunch of us would go out to Blind Pass Road (Turtle Beach) which we all called "Roller Coaster Road" due to the many perfectly spaced humps that would get a car airborne if driven at just the right speed. The road was loose sand and was located just across the canal from the Siesta Key Mercury test station. The whole area beside the road was loose beach sand. The Roof Rider would lay prone on the roof of a car and hold onto the top of the window frame on each door while the driver would drive the road as fast as he could for about a mile. This was much like deck riding a boat in order to get it on a plane. Occasionally a rider would fly off into the loose sand to the delight of onlookers. Fortunately, I don't remember anyone getting hurt too bad. But it sure was fun for a bunch of of idiots since we all thought we were bullet proof and invisible. I honestly do not know how we survived those years, but it sure was fun. - Steve Sirois
    Last edited by seeroy; 02-18-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're not picking on you gofish, it's just crazy and Lake "X" went hand in hand. I'm glad those memories were mine. Could have been any of a number of people that would have taken that seat in a heart beat.
    Crazy ---The Sarasota Indian that jumped the tri-cat with a V-8 & no. 2 drive over the breakwater by Izzies pad. All the guys that were in on the log test... Hitting a telephone pole in the water at WOT to see how many times before the unit would break. The OMC's were only good for one or two hits. The first OMC broke the clamp braket and landed right next to the driver (had prop marks on the deck next to him) sooo they built a cage for the OMC boats. The Fliver races...call spot checks.... raceing thru the Cypruss side by side....What do you remember that might be view by the rest of the world as "crazy" that was almost everyday at the lake????
    BobbyR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Jones Cat dynamic duo..George and Roy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Butch,
    That's a picture the faimly didn't have....Look at thoes young boat drivers..
    There were a lot of stories about George, don't know how many were true but I do know about one.
    I had been sent to Siesta Key to work with Gene Wagner. George was working there at that time. he had a fiberglass cat that he was working on for a coming race. Said he had to take the hook out of it. Didn't pay much attention to it. A group of us went to lunch and when we arrived back there was George, he had unloaded the cat on the concrete and was pulling it aroung behind a truck grinding the hook out...... I guess it worked.... Everyone talked about it for a long time.... Probably jealous because they didn't think of it.
    BobbyR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of the Cat Cay harbor and turning on the course, I am busy trying to get the bezel swung to the new course. When I finished I look up to see white water from the boats ahead… Hell we don’t even need a compass… Out of the seat and onto the transom holding on to the top cowlings of the engines, there I rode, trying to get the cat to lift and break that suction.
    George hollers “Throw everything over board” “what do you mean” I replied... “The props, the tools and also the coast guard equipment, anything that ain’t part of the boat” He said… The gear is carefully stored for the long ocean race soo it isn’t easy to get these things out and George isn’t going to pull over and help. Standing on my head I loosen the restraints that hold the gear. It was well installed. The props go first, then the coast guard equipment. (This was a kit made up by someone at the Lake</ST1l under instructions from EC. It had flares, water, an inflatable raft and other emergence supplies.) I lean forward and said to George “These tools are mine.” “Throw them over; I’ll see that they’re replaced.” He replied. Sooo there went my tools… Just as I settled back on the transom George hollered “remove the front cowlings” (the older engines with the warp around metal cowlings had a cover in front of the carbs). “OK’ as I reach to pull the first one off. Damn Look at these venturas, they look twice the size of the 850’s. George had gotten hold of a pair of the new 100 hp power heads and had swapped them out. We had run it on the lake in the low 70’s with light load, what will it do with 30 more hp???<O></O>
    It is like a table top, smooth as glass, not even a ripple. Now it’s squat on the transom and hang on. Sylvia Light then to Northwest Light and on to Chub Cay we haven’t looked at the compass yet, all we have had to do is look for the white water from the boats ahead. As the fuel burns off the cat gets lighter and faster. The boats we are catching and passing are spaced out nicely, we don’t need the compass.<O></O>
    Chub Cay is different, you have to run way back in this lagoon to a dock that has an official sitting there writing down your boat number so you can turn and run the half mile or so back out. Also the east side is really shallow, ask Jim Martinof (sp) (Miami Herald) He tried to follow George And I out but George took the shortest route over the sand bar. I’m sure George never knew that Jim was following us, but I did. Jim was running a 22’ Scottie Craft with a single 225 Mercruiser. I’m looking at the grass sticking above the water as we came up on the flat, I turned to watch Jim in time to see the sand and water go flying and the Scottie come to a rapid halt and lean over on one side of the vee. No one was hurt, I knew, before we rounded the rocks I could see two people out of the boat trying to get it to deeper water.<O></O>
    Before we leave Chub Cay I have one more story that I learned about sometime after the race…<O></O>
    At Chub Cay there is a store at the top of the pier where the official is taking down boat numbers. Sorry, I don’t remember what rig that they were driving but some where in the mix were Allan Brown and Jake Trotter. Again remember this is before there were a lot of rules. Anyway they had run out of beer by Chub Cay so they pulled up to the dock and Jake made the dash to the store for a six pac and back with out losing their position in the race. If you don’t know about these two then you have missed a large part of the offshore history… <O></O>
    <O></O>
    Next the finish………..<O></O>
    <O></O>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyR View Post
    Out of the Cat Cay harbor and turning on the course, I am busy trying to get the bezel swung to the new course. When I finished I look up to see white water from the boats ahead… Hell we don’t even need a compass… Out of the seat and onto the transom holding on to the top cowlings of the engines, there I rode, trying to get the cat to lift and break that suction.
    George hollers “Throw everything over board” “what do you mean” I replied... “The props, the tools and also the coast guard equipment, anything that ain’t part of the boat” He said… The gear is carefully stored for the long ocean race soo it isn’t easy to get these things out and George isn’t going to pull over and help. Standing on my head I loosen the restraints that hold the gear. It was well installed. The props go first, then the coast guard equipment. (This was a kit made up by someone at the Lake</ST1l under instructions from EC. It had flares, water, an inflatable raft and other emergence supplies.) I lean forward and said to George “These tools are mine.” “Throw them over; I’ll see that they’re replaced.” He replied. Sooo there went my tools… Just as I settled back on the transom George hollered “remove the front cowlings” (the older engines with the warp around metal cowlings had a cover in front of the carbs). “OK’ as I reach to pull the first one off. Damn Look at these venturas, they look twice the size of the 850’s. George had gotten hold of a pair of the new 100 hp power heads and had swapped them out. We had run it on the lake in the low 70’s with light load, what will it do with 30 more hp???<O></O>
    It is like a table top, smooth as glass, not even a ripple. Now it’s squat on the transom and hang on. Sylvia Light then to Northwest Light and on to Chub Cay we haven’t looked at the compass yet, all we have had to do is look for the white water from the boats ahead. As the fuel burns off the cat gets lighter and faster. The boats we are catching and passing are spaced out nicely, we don’t need the compass.<O></O>
    Chub Cay is different, you have to run way back in this lagoon to a dock that has an official sitting there writing down your boat number so you can turn and run the half mile or so back out. Also the east side is really shallow, ask Jim Martinof (sp) (Miami Herald) He tried to follow George And I out but George took the shortest route over the sand bar. I’m sure George never knew that Jim was following us, but I did. Jim was running a 22’ Scottie Craft with a single 225 Mercruiser. I’m looking at the grass sticking above the water as we came up on the flat, I turned to watch Jim in time to see the sand and water go flying and the Scottie come to a rapid halt and lean over on one side of the vee. No one was hurt, I knew, before we rounded the rocks I could see two people out of the boat trying to get it to deeper water.<O></O>
    Before we leave Chub Cay I have one more story that I learned about sometime after the race…<O></O>
    At Chub Cay there is a store at the top of the pier where the official is taking down boat numbers. Sorry, I don’t remember what rig that they were driving but some where in the mix were Allan Brown and Jake Trotter. Again remember this is before there were a lot of rules. Anyway they had run out of beer by Chub Cay so they pulled up to the dock and Jake made the dash to the store for a six pac and back with out losing their position in the race. If you don’t know about these two then you have missed a large part of the offshore history… <O></O>
    <O></O>
    Next the finish………..<O></O>
    <O></O>
    Bobby R
    I think that the driver that the drive landed next too was Dean Shallenberger. That is why the cage was built in the boat. Boat was a Mastercraft style, Flat bottom.
    Mike Ramsey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mike,
    I was trying to jog everyone's memory but it doesn't seem to be working.
    How is everything with you???
    I remember when John McCall put the Power Cat cabin ( not the one that was cut down for the race) in the trees on the east side by the dog leg. I think it had a single MerCuriser in it. It was well up in the trees and we had a hard time getting it back in the water. I believe he hit a cyprus knee and it launched him up and into the trees. He had it wedged between two trees. There were times that we would run up next to his boat turn it into the side of the boat, tie it up to a side cleat, go on board to visit for a 3/4's of a lap. Would drive the tower guy crazy if we were still tied up when we passed the tower.
    Now John was saving everything he could to go into business, seldom went to bars and didn't get into the poker games with us. It was so bad that Fon Du Lac called Collins and had him ask John to please deposit some of his pay roll checks, it was messing up accounting...
    Then there is the one that ran out thru the trees in the north end west side. Went throught a group of small trees for what seemed like a hundred yards. We were looking for enough rope to get him back in the water. Now my memory is not that good but the name Lupe comes to mind.
    There are all kind of stories about the lake, some happened while I was there and some I heard of. The wild indians on the north side of the Lake sounds like something that Roy and Odell would have done. In the summer when the kids would come down to drive endurance, they would be told about this and at night there would be a indian fire at the north end complete with indians. Many would stop and tell the shift mechanic about..
    I did see the summer drivers being sold axe handels to beat off the gators if they stopped to relieve themselves....
    And fliver race stories, there has to be a ton of these....
    BobbyR
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript _extended="true"> /*<![CDATA[*/ var adsonar_placementId="1307943",adsonar_pid="256757",adsonar_ps="-1",adsonar_zw=530;adsonar_zh=300,adsonar_jv="ads.adsonar.com"; qas_writeAd(); /*]]>*/ </SCRIPT>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologize to everyone for breaking off of Lake X thread, Have permission of Seeroy,,,, With regards to OSS race in WPB-Jupiter and old farts get-together which has been discussed through this thread,,,,, Dates are firm @ Oct.20th-25th with testing -racing being on Sat&Sunday, It is expected to inject $5m into the area,,,, Early plans are for our party of Friday evening, location tbd but will work with OSS and local sponsorship who have asked us to to their planned block party once we know formal plans will let everyone what location we are thinking of...... From drag boats to tunnells to poker runs Everyone on this thread has a common interest, we"re old and like fast boats,so please all are welcome and tell your friends, we are losing to many to fast, not to keep our corner of history,, After Palm Beach Boat Show Seeroy will start a separate thread with regard to this party, and we can track it through that,,,,,, Am in process of assembling more info and will pass it on as received,,,,, Sorry for taking us off of Lake X for a moment but wanted to get the dates out their,,,,,, Scott B of Miss Geico racing took me for a ride in their 2800HP 51 outerlimits turbine boat during Miami show, have never been down South Beach in excess of 100 MPH Makes you feel young again,,,,,, He explained that their 50 ft cat when setting all out speed runs they develop 6000HP and run in excess of 200MPH,,,,,,,,, What a rush,,,, Back to Lake X,,,,,,,,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologize to everyone for breaking off of Lake X thread, Have permission of Seeroy,,,, With regards to OSS race in WPB-Jupiter and old farts get-together which has been discussed through this thread,,,,, Dates are firm @ Oct.20th-25th with testing -racing being on Sat&Sunday, It is expected to inject $5m into the area,,,, Early plans are for our party of Friday evening, location tbd but will work with OSS and local sponsorship who have asked us to to their planned block party once we know formal plans will let everyone what location we are thinking of...... From drag boats to tunnells to poker runs Everyone on this thread has a common interest, we"re old and like fast boats,so please all are welcome and tell your friends, we are losing to many to fast, not to keep our corner of history,, After Palm Beach Boat Show Seeroy will start a separate thread with regard to this party, and we can track it through that,,,,,, Am in process of assembling more info and will pass it on as received,,,,, Sorry for taking us off of Lake X for a moment but wanted to get the dates out their,,,,,, Scott B of Miss Geico racing took me for a ride in their 2800HP 51 outerlimits turbine boat during Miami show, have never been down South Beach in excess of 100 MPH Makes you feel young again,,,,,, He explained that their 50 ft cat when setting all out speed runs they develop 6000HP and run in excess of 200MPH,,,,,,,,, What a rush,,,, Back to Lake X,,,,,,,,
    That does it, will be there on the 20th October, Get the old farts lounge ready, stock the bar with CC7 and i'll be there.!!!!!!!!! Will start compiling some of the old times tales anytime soon.
    Sharpen up the witticism, watch out Willabee, curmudgeon's a coming.
    Don't think for one minute i forgot you M/B, i owe you a couple of smarties!!!!!!!!
    Now you don't have to show all those piccies i know you have of JRW, he will be there-----in person-------still as handsome, wonderful, bashful and modest as always. With taller stories,longer memories, and a way of truth extending that is the envy of every ex and present Mercury employee.
    Hear tell they got you back at R&D Butler--------poor souls never ever did learn anything in that den of iniquity. Can't wait to stir the pot-------just a little.!!!!!!
    Last edited by jackie wilson; 03-03-2009 at 03:32 AM. Reason: unfinished

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Again sorry of breaking off of Lake X,,,, But to update, spoke with Charlie McCarthy of HORBA today and on their behalf, has pledged their complete support to Octobers Old Farts party,, keep telling everyone, And thos e who were @ Sunni Isles last June,,,, The Sea Ray girl will be their,,,, excuse me. I mean Jackies Grand-Daughter will be in attendance.....

Page 57 of 93 FirstFirst ... 7 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... LastLast