User Tag List

Page 55 of 93 FirstFirst ... 5 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First i would like to thank ALL the guys who sent me birthday wishes --even Welch !!!!! who cannot understand how anyone who lived the life i did could possibly reach 77 and flying. Well i can tell you now-----HE was no Saint William either.
    The very first time i came across Roy Ridgell was at the London Motor Boat Raceclubs Saturday afternoon competitions. 3 heats of 12 laps round a mile circuit with a wicked right hander. Good time for the Mercury 1100 boats was 1-08, these were either MM levis, Shakespeare Avons, Yarecraft, or Bristols.
    I had just bought The Torriggia tunnel boat and was running at 1-02 and it was creating something of a stir in British powerboating circles. This American came over and told me he was running a tunnel boat over in the states and had "FLIPPED" it. Stupid pratt i thought,!!!!! what an idiot,!!!! how could you "FLIPP" one of these wonderful craft,???? How indeed !!!!!!! The very next heat, the wind got up, and i had it trimmed out on the fifth pin hole and i got away with it for 10 laps and thought what a magic indestructible piece of kit this was. Then the damn thing just went Up, and Up and even further up, after shaking hands with God, and being told i was not wanted up there, he waved me a fond farewell, and like all good pilots do occasionally i did a full 360 and landed the right way up, still clutching a very bent and worse for wear AVANTI wood and polished alloy steering wheel. Fired up the engine and went on to win the heat. Ridgell was waiting with the biggest grin on his face at the dock and he said, "i told you you were going to do it Boy, just like that "!!!! Roy had a wonderful way with people, he just said "YES" and agreed with everything, i could never understand how he never made top management at Mercury, he was friends with everyone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The black and Yellow Molinari

The black and yellow Moli - if it was a wood hull and side by side seating, Tom Wenstadt, who worked for Mercury engineering in Oshkosh in the early 80's, ended up with it. He ran a 1500XS on it, I had a ride on Lake Winnebago one day in about 3 foot seas, that thing went right over the waves witout a wiggle. Tom blew it over down at Grass Lake IL at a 'run what ya brung' event and destroyed it. Tom went on to become head engineer for Four Winns and I think he has retired from there, possibly still lives in Cadillac MI.

3. Likes Racinjason53 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bernie - Definately wood hull with side by side seating. The yellow part was on the deck and vee shaped. Sure wish I had a picture, but a camera at Lake X could get one in big trouble. - Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackie - Bobby could confirm, but I think Roy went on the Bass Fishing Tour as Mercury Rep in the later years. - Steve

Bernie - See post #840 on previous page

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Perspective and context

For the longest time I did not understand why if Kiekhaefer possessed some of these boats he did not send them out to conquer the world.

Only today did I get it correct in my head that Dieter Schulze's trip to the US only accidentally coincided with OMC coming back into racing head first and making Kiekhaefer bring out his big guns in retaliation. Kiekhaefer wasn't reacting to Schulze's single engine class win, he was reacting to the OMC motors. That is why there was a delay between Kiekhaefer acquiring these early Molinari tunnels and going full blast later.

Prior to the 1967 racing season Kiekhaefer was working under the impression that there was a "gentleman's agreement" for factories not to fund big time racing teams. Once the OMC GT-115 and X-115 came out, along with the 55hp Triumph 3 cylinder, a new day began.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 02-04-2009 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roy

Steve - you are correct about Roy, he was tournament support for a number of years. One of these days i'll find a picture I took of him and his trailer.

jeff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    Jackie - Bobby could confirm, but I think Roy went on the Bass Fishing Tour as Mercury Rep in the later years. - Steve

Bernie - See post #840 on previous page
    Hiya Steve, I met Roy in the early 80's [ think that was the date] and he told me he was looking after the fish tournaments . I look back at some of the senior management at Mercury and it left a lot to be desired, there were some real dingleberries employed !!!!!!! A little experience would have sufficed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don Ross built the "ROSSINARI" in 1966/7 and i borrowed his boat builder and made a tunnel boat in my workshop loft. Roy brought his friend with him to see it, He was called Joe Swift. They were at Iver Heath when the boat made it's debut.
    The reason i tell you all this is because it becomes obvious that boats and motors are developing faster than at any other time. Mr K. and co. were really keeping up with the times and searching everywhere both home and abroad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill Shakespeare [shakey] had a boat builder by the name of Dave Burgess.
    Freddie Miles was full of Ideas and later employed `Dave Burgess.
    Chris Hodges had left Cougars and branched out on his own as a tunnel boat builder.
    They all wanted to get into Mercury's knickers, but all of them batted for both sides.
    Hodges was given the biggest cheque of his life to build solely for O.M.C. and anyone they said could have a V8. But he did give the world the safety cell as we know it.
    Cees Velden was churning out boats and fart arsing with a safety cell that never quite made it. Neither did Bill Browns attempts to solve the problem.
    Molinari was in full flow and producing from a production line to replace boats that were destroyed more frequently than ever before. The bubble lasted 3 years before it finally burst, leaving a trail of devastation that was only slowly mopped up by a few dedicated enthusiasts. But it took a while to sort out.
    Ok . Start the fan and throw the excreta !!!!!!!!!
    I really only meant to point out that Mr. K. and Co. were on the ball at that time, but i guess my mouth is going to get me into trouble again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    First i would like to thank ALL the guys who sent me birthday wishes --even Welch !!!!! who cannot understand how anyone who lived the life i did could possibly reach 77 and flying. Well i can tell you now-----HE was no Saint William either.
    The very first time i came across Roy Ridgell was at the London Motor Boat Raceclubs Saturday afternoon competitions. 3 heats of 12 laps round a mile circuit with a wicked right hander. Good time for the Mercury 1100 boats was 1-08, these were either MM levis, Shakespeare Avons, Yarecraft, or Bristols.
    I had just bought The Torriggia tunnel boat and was running at 1-02 and it was creating something of a stir in British powerboating circles. This American came over and told me he was running a tunnel boat over in the states and had "FLIPPED" it. Stupid pratt i thought,!!!!! what an idiot,!!!! how could you "FLIPP" one of these wonderful craft,???? How indeed !!!!!!! The very next heat, the wind got up, and i had it trimmed out on the fifth pin hole and i got away with it for 10 laps and thought what a magic indestructible piece of kit this was. Then the damn thing just went Up, and Up and even further up, after shaking hands with God, and being told i was not wanted up there, he waved me a fond farewell, and like all good pilots do occasionally i did a full 360 and landed the right way up, still clutching a very bent and worse for wear AVANTI wood and polished alloy steering wheel. Fired up the engine and went on to win the heat. Ridgell was waiting with the biggest grin on his face at the dock and he said, "i told you you were going to do it Boy, just like that "!!!! Roy had a wonderful way with people, he just said "YES" and agreed with everything, i could never understand how he never made top management at Mercury, he was friends with everyone.
    Jackie
    Roy had baggage including a little ( politically incorrect) brother..I pulled a few stunts that did not help Roy at all in the ole days and Europe was a good example. Roy put up with a lot of me over the years...He was doing the BASS tournament series when he had his last heart attack. There was some great write-ups in the Bass mags and some fine tributes from some of the Pro Bass Show Hosts.
    Roy was a better driver than credit was ever given.... He had a great life...
    As we all did ....given the oppoptunity to drive the best equipment in the marine world, tear it up, and still have the same job the next day.....Lake X was one Hell-of-a-place to play and still get paid...
    BobbyR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya Bobby, I am so glad Pruett took me to Lake X, People all over the world wondered about this mysterious ,magical place where the future of marine propulsion was being developed. Had they got aliens working there ? why was it so secret,? had they discovered a lost world ? Outside the U.S.A. it was regarded with wonderment, and i am certain nobody working there knew what an impact the place had on the boating world, particularly the sporting section. What on earth were Mercury thinking about when they closed the place.??? I heard a load of b-ll sh-t from management, but the real reason has still to be told.
    It's great that 40 years after i visited, i am still in touch with the people who actually made the place tick. I know Mercury have moved the facility to another place, but i am damned if i know where it is or what it's called.But one thing i do know, it will never ever have the impact on the world that Lake X had.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said Jackie,,,,,,,,, After over 40 years it has been incredible to have kept up with the guys I ran endurance with and have kept up as friends,, In many respects, it was magic.........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the terrestrial motorcar set down the operator said “There it is Lad, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comLake</st1:PlaceType> <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">X</st1:PlaceName></ST1, tell them your Roy’s brother”. “But I don’t even look like him” I said... “No matter” the bloke replied and off down the terrestrial carriageway he went. (You were right Jackie)
    The year 1960, the place the front gate of the <ST1Lake</ST1, a 21 year old kid (fresh out of the Army) stood as the guard asks what I wanted. “Roy Ridgell” I said, throwing out my chest, I was <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1Roy</ST1</st1:City>’s little brother. “Go on down to the shop and ask anyone”. He replied.

When I pulled in front of the shop (driving a ‘58 Chevy convertible with a 348 tri-duce) and parked, I was approached by what looked like the gardener. Grey haired gentleman in dirty coveralls with a cigar. “Who are you looking for?” He asks. “<st1:City w:st="on"><ST1Roy</ST1</st1:City>was the reply.” “Wait here” and he walked back to the shop.
    <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1Roy </ST1</st1:City>came out, greeted me and we when over to one of the trailers. “You can sleep here if you want; Mr. K said if you want a job for me to get you up with Collins in the morning”. Oh! By the way the Ole Man wants to know if will run. “Low 15’s mid nineties” I said. “He wants to try it against one of his Plymouths in the morning”
    That is how it started for me……

I helped build the road around the <ST1Lake</ST1... Many stories<O></O>
    1961 Miami-Nassau with George Thompson... Great story <O></O>
    First <st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1Bahamas</ST1</st1:country-region>500... Many stories<O></O>
    Steve,<O></O>
    If I get out of hand please let me know..... I saw where you had someone object to long winded entries but the stories I have are not short. The more I read and think the more I remember...Again I thank you for putting this together for my enjoyment....and Jackie’s
    BobbyR<O></O>
    P.S. Jackie, the ones flowing in our footsteps will never experience the fast development of the marine world nor the many outlets for our sport. The water ways are so crowed now that many races we experienced will never be again...<O></O>
    <O></O>
    <O></O>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bobby - I don't know where you got the idea that I don't like long stories. The fact is that I love them, as you can probably tell by reading some of my early ones. I would probably be writing some right now if it wasn't for some recent problems with my right hand. Recently had some surgery on my right thumb. If it ever heals properly I want to write some long stroies about Doug Janisch and Houseboat trip. Have you ever thought about how many things a healthy right thumb is necessary for? Best Regards - Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dirt road

I wasn't working there, but we drove from Miami to the Lake towing a Raveau for a new motor..the road was pretty bad in Phil Young's Impala..two ruts and a hump in the middle..never got stuck though..Mr K was there to meet us..either George Thompson or Joe Anderson ran the place..hard to tell who was boss when the BOSS was around..Must have been late 59 early 60..Chuck, Johnny B, Odell, Bill S, Roy, were all there..WOW ...what a place..Johnny B had a hot rod Plymouth, or two, Chuck had a 59 El Camino with a 348..3 on the tree w/overdrive..

Page 55 of 93 FirstFirst ... 5 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast