User Tag List

Page 76 of 93 FirstFirst ... 26 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1382
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rosemary#1 View Post
    do you happen to know Rosemary young?
    I knew Rosmary very well. She raced Raveau OPC in the 60's in South Florida. She and Treasure Stokes were two very pretty ladies that could also drive race boats. She and her husband Phil had a number of boats including a 15 foot raveau the "Little Treasure", driven by Treasure and Butch Stokes, a 16 foot Raveau # 64 driven by Rosemary and Richie Baiz (one of my best friends back then) a hydro driven by Fred Glick and a single engine Switzer powered by a Merc 100.
    Rosmary, Phil and their "team" were a huge part of S Florida racing history. Phil loaned me a pair of 6 cylinder Mercs with speedmasters that I ran on a Powercat in the Gold Coast Marathon, finishing 6 or 7th overall and 3 outboard overall.
    I got Jimmy Sewares to come to OFF2011, maybe we can get Rosmary to come to OFF 2012
    Last edited by velox; 06-16-2012 at 08:32 PM.
    Charlie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boy oh boy, both my wife and my boss are pissed that I haven't done a thing the last 3 days except read this thread.

Question- I call my boss, his boss and so on by their first name; per their request. Did Mr. K require every one to call him Mr. K or was it done out of respect?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    Boy oh boy, both my wife and my boss are pissed that I haven't done a thing the last 3 days except read this thread.

Question- I call my boss, his boss and so on by their first name; per their request. Did Mr. K require every one to call him Mr. K or was it done out of respect?
    I think it depended on where one was in the pyramid to most people. To his face, I always said either "Mr Kiekhaefer or Mr K". Many others said the same things. Others addressed him as "Carl or EC". I never heard anyone call him by his real first name, which was Elmer. When out of earshot, he was most often referred to as "The Old Man". - Steve Sirois

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    I think it depended on where one was in the pyramid to most people. To his face, I always said either "Mr Kiekhaefer or Mr K". Many others said the same things. Others addressed him as "Carl or EC". I never heard anyone call him by his real first name, which was Elmer. When out of earshot, he was most often referred to as "The Old Man". - Steve Sirois
    I was only 10 years old, but my Dad introduced me to him as Mr. Kiekhaefer and that is what my brother and I called him when
    he took us out for a boat ride in one of the factory Power Cats while my Mom and Dad were working on our race boats. Having heard all the stories about him, I remember being nervous around him, but he was nothing but kind and generous to my family.
    Danny Leger

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbd29 View Post
    Steve: The engines Bruce is talking about are Kirchman's engines. I was at the Lake when he called Don and told them he had just purchased them from a guy up here in Wisconsin. If my memory serves me correctly he was calling from his corperate plane.

The engines you mention are back up in Fond du Lac. They are all in storage waiting for Mercury to build a museum. Some were added when G. G. wanted to complete the collection to include all the outboard race engines we built after the 1250 Stacker, which you mentioned. They included the Twister I, TII, TIIX, 650X, 700X, and 1750XS.

Lee Soda says Hi. He works here in Fond du Lac. Has over 40 years at Mercury. He remembers your times at the Lake.
    I am a interested "Looker" on this board & live at Tomahawk Wisconsin & am a long time member of the Antique Outboard Club. Mr Kirchman met Mike Kolat, a old Merc dealer here in the early 50's who wintered at Bonita Springs at a gas engine show down there. Mr Kirchman bought a few old outboards from Mike who then told him about the 150 old outboards he had up here in his collection. Mr Kirchman flew up here with John Culver & bought everything from Mike who was already in his 80's. Mike was my good friend & Mr Kirchman sent up two young guys from florida, they rented a 24" u-haul & a small trailer which we loaded over a 3 day time period & they drove it down to Lake X. That is where all the motors & associated stuff came from. I have heard a couple of years ago that Mr Kirchman had passed & all the stuff was sold to someone else?, in fact I was contacted to see if I had a interest in a semi load of boxed parts, but I never heard anything further??
    Ronald Lietha

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long was the track at Lake X? I read the 4 X-site routes are 37 miles per this link:
    http://www.sptimes.com/News/080700/B...hrottle_.shtml

How many Mercury plants are there? I read Plant 36 if the high performance plant.

Were inboards test there as well? Seems like outboards were all there were, which I love outboards!

I wish Mercury would make a 400XS at $50-$55/HP...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mark - It's been 40+ years since I was at Lake X, but I think the marked endurance course was about 7 + or - miles. I read the year 2000 article that you linked. It was interesting to me. I ran endurance out of the original salt water test station at the South end of Siesta Key (Sarasota) in the early 1960s for awhile before moving to Lake X. We were pretty much on our own as to where we ran. Consequently we did some pretty dumb, and fun, things. - Steve Sirois

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve---That is exactly the way I remember it, there may have been a few old timers, like George Thompson or Wayne Meyers who were comfortable with ' Carl' or 'EC'--

-He did like to WIN!! Hard to believe that he has been gone for nearly 29 years---

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lake X. We were pretty much on our own as to where we ran. Consequently we did some pretty dumb, and fun, things. - Steve Sirois
    Mr. Sirois,
    Did you ever jump or dive off the I-beam that the hoist used to put the boats in and out of the water? When I was little, I always wanted to but Dad (I am sure Mom too) was against it . I seem to remember someone getting injured doing just that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Beam Diving

Disregard the red arrow. This is the only photo I can find on my computer that shows the I beam you are referring to. It hangs out from the canopy on the closer end of the old shop. It is barely visible above the 3rd floating dock in the old slip. The hoist actually travelled under the canopy. The answer is...NO, I never dove off of it. In fact, I really don't even remember having swam in the lake. At least not on purpose

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post 1144- the guy on the left, what is he wearing? Is that a lifevest (his pants seem wet/darker at the top than the bottom).

What is the largest (LOA') boat you remember testing? I'd guess it was quite small compared to todays standards. How about highest HP and was it an outboard, a single, twin or trip?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    Post 1144- the guy on the left, what is he wearing? Is that a lifevest (his pants seem wet/darker at the top than the bottom).

What is the largest (LOA') boat you remember testing? I'd guess it was quite small compared to todays standards. How about highest HP and was it an outboard, a single, twin or trip?
    The guy on the left is none other than Gene Lanham. I have also wondered what the heck he was wearing. I am sure he will answer.
    As to what was tested at the lake......You name it and it was likely tested there. - Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As to what was tested at the lake......You name it and it was likely tested there. - Steve
    I was more asking you (trying to spur more conversation on this great read), as in what do you remember being the largest or fastest boat you personally remember testing?

In todays world, pulling the card to run a 50' Skater with twin 1350HP would seem like much more of a "win" than a 12' flat with a 15HP on it is all. Am I on the wrong path and the 12' flat with a 15HP on it would allow you to get more reading in and shake the hangovers off?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also wondered what the heck he was wearing. I am sure he will answer.
    Key West: November, 1970: It doesn't get very cold in Key West. But an early morning start can be pretty cool in November, especially if you are wet. That was an old 60's water-ski jacket.

Steve, the biggest boat I saw running at the Lake was the 'Popeyes'. Bill and Lynwood testing the 'Superboat'. 50 feet long, 4 engines, 4000 horsepower---
    I think boat size was only limited by the width and capacity of the Marine-Travelift.
    Last edited by GENE LANHAM; 08-07-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    Key West: November, 1970: It doesn't get very cold in Key West. But an early morning start can be pretty cool in November, especially if you are wet. That was an old 60's water-ski jacket.
    Would you have worn it knowing folks would be looking at you in that picture 42 years later ??

Page 76 of 93 FirstFirst ... 26 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 LastLast