Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drag vs 280 rods?

I have rods out of 280 that have the number 644-818141 on them, I assume these are the stock rods and are known as the 41 series rods that are very light at around 350 grams. I have read that the new drag motors come with a 50 series rod that is heavy at 490 grams. Why would the drag motors have such heavy rods? Is it just a stronger rod to withstand 10,000-12,000 RPM? What is the advantage of chatfield rods in the S3000 at almost 400 grams over the stock 41 series which are lighter? Does the advantage of the less weight and thinner 41 series rod get outweighed by the heavier yet more volume of the other 50 series rods?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The little rods will break at the big end thru the bolt threads. The stock big rods are a no brainer, no worry piece but will slow down a drag motor. The more ya cut the big rods the faster they go and the shorter the life span. If ya wana go fast it isn't going to be cheap.

Old adage: If ya wana run it just run it, if ya wana work on it work on it. Hehe.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rods

If I had my choice I'd run the 41 series rods in every motor I build ! I even have people that own Mercury dealerships , that I build race motors for , buy a NEW rotater remove the 50 series sell em and buy 6 new 41 series to replace the heavier 50 series rods. I've seen em both break the addage is that with the bigger rod knocks a big hole in the block and the smaller rod knocks a smaller hole ! Go figure!

What ya run is a matter of opinion , I like the smaller lighter rod and haven't had any great deal of problem with them breaking with proper maintenence and inspection !

good luck !
    Jay @ JSRE