Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Yamaha Low water pickup lower unit swap

Hi Guys--First day on board ==really appreciate the information youall share!! I have asked this question many, many times and have not had a solid response yet but here goes anyway; Will a new 2003/04 3.3 style low water pickup lower unit bolt on a '98 3.1 VMax mid section? Second question, same subject; will the parts from the '98 lower unit housing interchange with the 3.3 housing?

There is an article in BWB May,'04 that suggests the unit swap is possible but it dosen't specify if the year difference is a factor. The article also suggests that the component swap is possible -housing to housing, but when I asked Hydrotech, they said they didn't know for sure, they had not done one yet.

If anyone has tried this yet, please share your experience--good or bad. I would really like to know. Thanks in advance, Rich

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as far as i know it bolts right up with only a change over to studs instead of bolts..due to the lower unit being shorter...as long as you have a 3.1 liter vmax NOT a 2.6...it WILL NOT fit a 2.6 liter leg..have you priced that lower unit ...i know it comes woth a pretty large price tag..i think retail on it is around $2500.00...hope this helps....
    1984 28 ghost twin 200 Yamah ProVs (SOLD)
    1997 21 Superboat Legend 250 VMAXXX (SOLD)
    2001 25 Concept CC 250EFI (SOLD)
    2002 24 Superboat Step 250EFI (SOLD)
    1997 21 Checkmate Pulsare 200EFI Merc (Beater Boat)(SOLD)
    1994 20 Hydrasport 225 Optimax (SOLD)
    1998 27 progression Twin 225 Mercs (SOLD)
    2005 23 Kryptonite 300 Promax (SOLD)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your right on the money with the $2500.00 price tag. I was hoping to find a used one that might be a little less.

I feel I need to explain why I am even thinking about this--Hopefully one of you will shed some light and get me pointed in the right direction. I am running a Skeeter 210C--l740 lbs. dry. Pretty heavy bass boat. I have been "told" an after market low water pickup lower unit may slow me down because of the extra length of the nose cone. I want to be able to raise the engine as much as possible and obviously go as fast as the boat is capable but still keep enough cooling water where it needs to be. One of the answers to more speed was a low water pickup unit. The Yamaha unit is stubby looking and may not present the drag problem the add on unit might have. Am I anywhere close to right in my thinking? I know this would be an expensive experiment but hey, I'm getting old and I would hate to die not knowing some of the answers. Please give me your advice

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you run low on water pressure or exceed the speed of the gearcase and blowout, the stock gearcase is normally more efficent. Having a nose cone installed by someone like Mark at Props Plus in Tuscumbia Alabama would be both cheaper and more efficent than buying the complete unit from Yamaha. Blowout speed on the stock one is about 84 MPH.
    Ray Neudecker Over The Hill Gang Outboard Racing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a skeeter you should not be able to raise it high enough to lose pressure before you lose performance....I don't think any higher than 2" under pad on a skeeter will do you any good..Check with the skeeter guys over at www.bassboatcentral.com and they'll point you in the right direction...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can raise the engine high enough to lose water pressure with the standard gear case, a transom-mounted water-pickup is a lot cheaper than either a new gearcase or a nose cone job.
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance