Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hynautic vs SeaStar steering help...

I am putting a boat together and have an older Hynautic steering system from another boat. I know that Teleflex purchased Hynautic and have pretty much replaced the product lines but they still seem to support the Hynautic.

This system has the pressurized holding tank and "3-line helm". For those that have used both, is this older system worth messing with?

The components look heavier duty than what I have seen on the SeaStar systems. The only downsides to this system are that the helm has a "ratchet" feel as you turn the wheel and requires that I cut a very large hole int he dash to install the helm. Should I mess with this or just get a new sea star?

Please don't recommend dual cable systems as this is not an option. I want the boat to be more user friendly and the dual cable system has too much feedback and too much effort (in this application) for the wife and son to drive safely.

The boat is an 87 Hydrostream YT with a 2.4 EFI

Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't use the hynautic

A friend of mine rolled his tunnel because of hynautic steering. aside from the fact that they arn't as reliable as the sea star they are a hassle to install. these systems are under constant air pressure and are prone to leaks. The seastar system with the pro helm and kevlar hoses is your best option.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steven,

I have researched the subject further and see where they operate under similar (if not idential) systems. If you get an leak, in either system, you are in big trouble. They even have a conversion chart that will allow you to change out each part of the hynautic system with the comparable SeaStar part. My greatest worry is the helm itself. The cylinder on the Hynautic is robust and lines are pretty strong too. I hate to cut the dash to learn that the Hynautic helm is crap.

What do Sea Star systems feel like? Does the steering wheel turn perfecttly smoothly or is there a "ratcheting" feel?

I'm trying to remember exactly what the wheel on the Hynauti felt like but I have not driven it in 3 years!

Thanks,

Leo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The seastar doesn't have the ratcheting feel that the hynautic has. It is much more smooth.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont use the hynautic. it is not safe enough for a performance boat!!!!

A hynoutic helm is only a valve-body that uses the 20/30psi of air pressure to move the oil.

seastar's helms are pumps, not just valve bodies. The two systems are completely different

A seastar leak will be a gradual leak that you will notice by feel before it becomes a real problem. (assuming that your hoses arn't chafing.)

A hynautic leak on the air side of the system has a greater chance for IMEDIATE steering loss!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may just install the system remporarily to test the integrity of the ram and hoses, and if everything is fine, I will update the system by purchasing the SeaStar replacement helm. I just need to compare the cost of the replacement helm versus the entire system. I have seen "deals" where the complete system can be purchased for about $750 and they probably want nearly that much for the helm alone ... kind of negates the economy of using the parts that I already have.

Thanks for the comments,

Leo