Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Optimax 200xs

Does anybody know at what rpm`s is the revlimiter set on the new 200xs?
    Is it possible to disconnect?
    Is the 20" model available with the offshore center section?

Is it a "powerful" 200hp engine?
    Is there any mods available?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know anything about the engine, but read this old thread and follow it's links.

200XS Optimax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Optimax 200xs

If I remember correctly the rev. limiter is set at 6700 rpms. I am sure you can find the information at Merc.'s web site.

I doubt that many people have tested the maximum rpms that the compressor can handle, so I doubt that you would want to play around with the rev. limiter even if it were possible.

There are no mods available and I doubt there will be until people run out of non-DFI engines to modify.

Personally, I fail to get excited about a 200 hp high-performance engine and given the price of the 200xs, I think you should have a serious look at buying a 200 hp HPDI Yamaha with a nose cone and solid engine mounts if you really want a DFI engine.
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rev limiter - Check Rapair first, if anyone won't know the answer here. I don't remember them having any specified electronics for 200XS in their website, but they might still know something about it. If it won't help, it's propably only possibility to try to get info directly from Mercury Marine. Propably wouldn't hurt contacting them anyway. About any mechanical limitations concerning the fuel injection. The last chance is trying to disconnect it by yourself. It won't be easy, but very propably possible. I'm very amazed, that Mercury Marine (Vator) won't offer a possibility to tinker with the limiter, since 200XS uses the same programmable PCM 555 ECU, that every other new Mercury uses. This is one thing, which could indicate, that Rapair has some information.

Why there aren't any mods available? - If I'm correct, it's illegal to modify 1998 and later outboards in US for other than racing purposes. I know, that nobody is controlling the mods right now, but since there isn't any class for 200XS in US (that I know of) it doesn't sound very legal to offer mods to these engines. So, it's propably going to be only up to you, and using old info from other 2 and 2.5 litre Mercurys.

Has UIM hologated the engine? Sold the boat, yet?

Lauri

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Would Think

Of all motor that would be the last one I'd ever monkey with. Plus with the heavy flywheel ect you are only asking for trouble. Buy one only if it's exactly what you want...nothing more. As far as it being a "strong" 200...yes it is...as far as HP is concrened I'm not sure of exact numbers.
    David

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You all for Your help!

Lauri;the boat is not sold yet!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

World Champion

I think there is a very special reason why Marcus is asking about the 200 XS...and that's racing. Marcus is the reigning WC in UIM Class 3/2 litre offshore racing where they have raced with Mercury XR2's. Since the "cleaner" engines are inevitable on their way in to the world of boatracing and the fact the XR2 soon will be extinct (discontinued in 1999 ?), UIM (the governing body) is going to homologate the 200 XS for next season. The racers in Europe have soon run out of XR2's...hmm I think Marcus is out for shopping.

Janne

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expensive

Wow. That will certainly add to the cost of racing in the 2l class. I doubt the 200XS will be competitive as long as there are XR2s around, though.

How much power can people get out of those things these days, anyway? I was told 240 hp by VM Performance a few years ago, but you never know with that guy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Marcus could answer these questions much better and more accurate, but I'll give you my opinion and assumptions. I'm not so sure the 200XS will rise the overall costs, if you start racing in 2 litre class. The XR2s are pretty unreliable motors, and require rebuilding very often, that's if you have a motor, that's able to win competitions. There hasn't any more than one 200XS competing in 2L class this far, but there's a possibility, that the reliability won't be ruined as easily, as 200 hp is far from 2.5 liter blocks abilitys. The new mechanical and electronical components may have new limitations, but you never know before running one. If the motor will be more reliable, the only increased cost will come from buying one. And to build a completely new XR2 costs pretty much as much as a 200XS, because Mercury ended production 1999. So, the only chance is to buy an old, used and raced XR2, and start updating it. It's not very cheap to do that either. And I've been told, that some spare parts have been difficult to get. So, the XR2 is not very cheap or attractive.

Power and competetiveness - I'd assume you'll get about the same 240 hp today out of a XR2, since the rules are pretty much the same as then. Some have more hp and some less.. I don't know, if Marcus has ever dynoed his engines, but there aren't so many outboard dynos here, that many people would know the exact output of their engines (except VM Perf customers). And how competetive will 200XS be? UIM gives about 70 kilos higher minimum weight for the 200xs than XR2 (for cats). So, there has to be much more power in the 200XS to be competetive. There is, if the rumors are correct. Was it in the Allison board's links, that 200XS would beat an older 225 Promax? Any way, if you can yet port the engine and modify the ignition and fuel injection systems, you could have very competetive engine. Of course it needs even more knowledge of enginering than old style 2 strokes, but, hey!, it's only a bit more electronics.. And I'll bet that the extra 25% cubic inches is enough to compensate the 70 in acceleration.

Anyone one know what chip(s) Mercury's Powertrain Control Module (PCM) 555 has? It's made by Motorola, but then.. Maybe PMC555 chip? Just, wondering, who might be able to program it..

For 2 liter drivers: Tibblins engine is for sale. Marcus, ere you asking the questions because of that? Next, there is a pretty good gearcase for sale on XORC's "for sale" board. It's so cheap, I doubt it has internal, but.. It's very propably an old modified CLE, so it can't be run with 200XS, only XR2.

Lauri
    Last edited by LJL; 12-07-2001 at 06:20 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compressor

That thing uses a mechanical compressor, though. I doubt it will live for very long at 8000 rpms if the Orbital system will work at all.

I saw the Tibblin ad as well.