Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Converting a 91 chevy truck to Hot Rod Motor carb motor need advise !

I am pro streeting my 1991 chevy throttle body 305 to a 450 HP early model small block chevy with a carb ( or I am open to suggestion on alternate fuel induction system ) and need advise as to what I need to do to bypass the computer , and I have been told te 700 R tranmission is too weak to hold the power the bigger HP motor will develope. I have been told to go to the turbo 350 or 400 but they don't have an overdrive . I do not drive this truck much other than a 40 mile round trip to work so gas mileage isn't too much of a factor. I need someone that has made this conversition to E- Mail me , privately to keep the S & F board from clogging on a non boating idem........ All help will be appreciated...

Thanks a million ,
    Jay @ JSRE
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out ChevyTalk.com They have a forum geared to your truck with guys who are in to it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot Rod

700R4 can be built to hold up I know of a big block truck running mid 10's in 1/4 with one also the 4L80 trans is stronger with O.D. I like the gearing in the 4L80 better its low is not as low and it overdrive is not as high as the 700R4 but I think you should take over my 80 Corvette project it has 93 suspension front and back 6 point cage will be a nice Road Race car. Good Luck
    fellow G-man
    Sunshine Syndicate

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Thumbs up 700R4

I've heard the same about the 700R4. It can be made to work even though in stock form it can't compare to a TH400.

-BL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NO more projects

We already have a racecar ( 95 camero LT1 that has several national records ) that is putting me in the poor house ( son's car ) I got on the ChevyTalk.com and found out some good informatin but I still need someone to walk me tru this thing and help me make an educated dicison on this so I don't screw up and buy something I am sorry for.

Jay @ JSRE
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jay,
    The 700R4 can be easily built to take 450 hp. Also, chevy has an overdrive version of the TH400. I think its called a TH 80L OD. Been out of street rodding too long I guess. You will need to have a toggle switch on the dash to lock up the torque converter if the computer is bypassed.

As far as getting around the computor for engine mods, a stand alone harness is available for any engine you want to drop in it. Programable computers and chips are available from Hypertech and others. Check out an issue of super chevy magazine. Go to the ads in the back. Unless you go with carbs, or something like Holley injection system, the motor will have to have computor control.

Have fun.
    Marc
    Last edited by Arizona Hotboater; 11-29-2001 at 06:35 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jay, I've been running a 700R4 ...

...behind my 350 horse 350 for about 3 years now, and I beat the livin snot out of it, towing, traveling 100 MPH for hours at a time on the highway, or 80 towing a boat and trailer. I had all the factory updates done to it, put in a 2800 stall lockup convertor, a B&M shift kit,and good clutches and steels. For induction, the Holley ProJection system is very easily adjustable, and gives great throttle response and power. If you want to use the factory style TPI, Painless Wiring has a stand alone wiring kit to hook it up with. If you want some more details, shoot me an email or call the shop.
    Rickracer

Sunshine Syndicate Member

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

[img]http:/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you the man 450 hp street truck

i got a 87 short step side with a 305 tbi that we have hopped up a little. want to put zz4 crate mtr in it you can run a 700 r4 if you build it rite. b&m told me they have a street trans that will hold 500 hp. if you dont put slicks to it and no big burnouts [damm there goes super chevy in atlanta] arizona speed and marine has harness plug in to do this also also howell engine development and last but first to call is street and performance in mena ark. close to you they have neet stuff and techs to talk you through any thing you need, you can control your od lock up with a dash switch or a lot of the trans companys make a vacuum switch that will let you cruise and not forget to flip the switch in or out of od i know i did a bunch a good gear and a lot of stall and you should
    have a killer cruiser.

Danny

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm missing something.
    If your going with a carb what is the computer for?
    I don't have a 'puter on either of my cars.
    '90 STV
    '96 260
    under construction

for far too long

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

TH200R4

I've rebuilt a couple 200R4s, they are JUNK! Very light duty. Does the 700 use a vane pump like the 200 or is it a gear pump like the TH350/400?

-BL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frankly, I think 700r4's suck, but that is just my opinion. I think a th400 with some good parts (converter, low first gear, ect) would be a lot cheaper. Far as carbs, I like either Holley or Webbers. As far as ignition, an early HEI (pre '80) are hard to beat for the price.

But, here is an idea, take a horn (maybe two) off of one of those injected Mercs and put it on there !!!
    [img]http://www.************.com/AdminSite/ImageUploads/med_BP_6_10_2002_62408_PM.jpg[/img]

Forkin' Crazy[img]//www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/rolleyes/rolleyes02.gif[/img]

A friend will come bail you out of jail.........but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn........we fu@#ed up!"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THANKS GUYS ! THE BEST SITE ON THE WEB !!!!!!!!!!!!

I have gotten a TON of good information and links to help me make a choice on motor - transmission combo for my truck motor swap project and have a motor locked in that I can use my same transmission .

Thanks to the helpfull people on the S & F board , gotta be the BEST information source on almost ANY subject matter on the web ! Sharing of direct and to the point information and all without the 3rd GRADER BS.

Jay @ JSRE
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Hi Bruce, and Paul

Bruce, the 700R4 has a vane pump similar to the 200R4, but they have developed a lot in the last 10 years. Art Carr has parts and info to build some 10 second capable 200R4s. Paul, a TH400 or TH350 won't allow you to run 3.73 or 4.10 gears and still cruise the highway comfortably. I run 3.70s in my S-10's 9" rear, yet I can do 100 at about 3200 rpms. I also have a 3.00 geared 3rd member too, for those really long trips. I haven't taken it to the track in it's present configuration, but it should run low 13 to mid 12s. Better heads and cam would put it into the low 12 or the 11s with no gas. I wouldn't even consider trading my 700R4 for a non-OD trans.
    Rickracer

Sunshine Syndicate Member

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

[img]http:/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast