Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imron and Gelcoat do they react well

Painted my sponsons with Imron and they look real good, except I have a few pinholes. I was going to wait two days for the Imron to dry and then fill them with gelcoat and then compound. Can I do this or will the Gelcoat have a reaction with the new Imron?
    Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the Imeron is catalyzed, you should be fine.

Dumb question; Why not just dab the pinholes with a tooth pick full of Imeron and wetsand??
    I do this all the time with the Whalers I paint.

Ron Pratt
    '91 Virage "The LAST Virage" 15" 280
    26' Grady White "fish getter"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dabbing?

I've done that with clear and with paint. Mix up a little paint (w/ the hardener) and dab in in the hole, then use wet sand blocks or paper with a block. Make sure it is real clean and *carefully* sand off just the glob with grit maybe 800, if full then sand that area a little with finer buffing type grits after glob is flat. Sometimes you have to do it over to get the hole full and make sure it is all the way dry before you sand. It tends to be soft and show sanding marks in the glob. Then buff that little spot, works great just might take a while in dry time. With catylized paints I do this as soon as they are buffable, never had a lifting problem so far. If glob is good and dry those paint files also will take the glob off if you are careful and it is not too big, and eliminate most of blocking part. Useful in filling paint chips as well. I often sand it early a little to help the glob dry faster when still a little soft...but be careful of getting any dirt stuck in it. By soft I mean you can make a mark in it with a fingernail yet. Take care to fill the hole a little extra for shrinkage, but don't make a mess to deal with either and figure a second lap is easier. If I do I wipe it off wet and try again (be prepared with a wipe/etc). Hope that helps.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alaska hit the nail on the head