Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hull question...skater, liberator etc.

What is the major differences between a liberator and a skater...21 foot.

I have seen neither boat in person, but in the pictures the skater looks to be taller (freeboard i think ) Are the hull designs similar?

Both hulls seem to fit my needs well....I am also curious what everyones opinions are on the awesome powerboats 21 footer....

For those curious my needs are more or less wants then needs.

I live on a smallish inland lake, about 300 acres or so. We have 1 or 2 boats runnin in the 80/90's and had 1 boat running over 100. On my lake you really will see no real chop other then boat wakes from 18-20 foot runabouts and ski boats.

However about 8-10 times a year i go on vacation where i would throw my boat in the great lakes or some of the bigger lakes in michigan and would like a boat that could handle the chop relatively easy. So I am thinking that the aforementioned boats would fit the bill quite well. I have also thought about an stv euro ski, but wasnt sure it would fair very well on the bigger lakes.

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

Also i will be running a Merc no matter what, Its in my blood, my uncle is a mercury employee.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure on the Skater freeboard, but I know you won't get the wind in your face in a 21 Liberator like you will with the Skater. The Liberator has a center pod which makes it turn flater. The pod also eliminates the porpoising that the full tunnels have. I've run mine at over 100mph in 3ft chop. I'm prejudiced to the Liberator cause I sell them, But I honestly think it's a better boat. If you want anymore info, call or email me. Thanx, WILDMAN
    " IT'S NOT HOW FAST YOU ARE, IT'S HOW COOL YOU LOOK!!! "

Check out my new website. liberatorpowerboats.com
    Boat Delivery available

Things owned. NOTHING!!
    Ain't got no toyz, Ain't got no money! I is jus a poor Florida boy!

Visit My Liberator Boats Website

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do some searches. There are some old posts with comparisons on the 21' tunnel boats.

I'm a big fan of the 21 Skater, I had one, sold it only for financial reasons, but it was the first boat I ever had that really ate up the chop. I absolutely loved that boat. You can probably find several posts from me about the Skater.

I looked at the Awesome cat, they are much smaller, never saw one in person, I don't think there are many of the 20 or 21 whatever it is. They are out of business and from what I understand the owner is in some trouble. I've never heard any spectacular reviews about them.

Call Randy about the Liberator, he knows them best.

Frankly, if you do most of your boating on a calm lake, god bless ya, save your money and keep a small boat, but if you have to venture into very choppy bays and lakes, for a single engine boat, a 21 Skater with a Pro Max 300 with do 100 MPH, it's good on fuel, reliable, and takes the rough better than anything in it's class for tunnels (I think Vs too but others will yell at me for saying so). It is not the boat for hard turning or big swells though.
    Last edited by at100plus; 08-02-2004 at 09:50 PM.
    2004 Hydra-Sports Vector 2600 - twin 225 Yamahas

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at100plus, I have been searching and reading about skaters and you definately don't miss a thread You two were probably the two guys i had hoped would reply most.

Yes most of my boating will be on a calm lake, but that may all change if i get one of these two boats, they truly are beautiful.

I just dont think a hydro stream vegas, or similar boat will be real fun in a 2-3 ft chop.

Thanks again, and i will continue back to reading and searching.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I read, the true tunnels can be strange at lower speeds and have handling glitches. The center pod can get rid of that. But the true tunnels might be better at wot in certain conditions; everyone says the skater is hard to beat in a straight line for example. Each hull is different than the next, so I think it depends on the boating you do. Yes use the search button there, as there is lots of great info on tunnels here that can help you figure it out. I know I never saw smaller tunnels on Lake Michigan when I was out there, but who knows. In a calm day you saw 14' boats but that didn't happen very often. A 24' deep vee could be punishing at times and I was into it then, we broke some stuff. I only got a few quick rides in tunnels on smoother water.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skater hands down , better built, better handling in rough water, better resale value, sorry Randy.
    BLAZER BAY 2400 SUZUKI 250 4 STROKE

18FT ASTRO BASS BOAT 200 MERC

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH THE LIBERATOR BUT TONS WITH A TWENTY FOUR SKATER AND AN STV EURO.I SAW A LIBERATOR 24 COPY JUST AFTER IT HAD BEEN PAINTED AND SPOKE WITH THE OWNER.I'LL PREFACE THIS BY SAYING I DONT KNOW WHAT HE DID TO THE BOAT BEFORE IT WAS PAINTED BUT IT LOOKED TERRIBLE.PRINT THROUGH ON THE HULL WAS EVIDENT THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE STRUCTURE,THE GLASS WAS VERY WAVY,EDGES UNFINISHED ECT.NOT IMPRESSED!I HAVE SEEN SOME ON HERE HOWEVER THAT LOOKED VERY NICE.AN STV WOULD BE PERFECT FOR YOUR LAKE BUT NOT FOR THE BIG WATER UNLESS YOU LIKE GETTING WET IN THE FACE.SKATER BUILDS A HELL OF A BOAT!I HAVE HEARD THAT THE 21'S CAN BE A TRICK TO DRIVE AT FIRST.ON ANY CAT YOU WILL DEAL WITH A PORPOISE ISSUE BETWEEN SAY 40-70 MPH AS THE HULL TRIES TO BREAK LOOSE OF THE WATER.ON A SMALL LAKE THIS COULD BE AN ISSUE.I SOLD MY STV TO BUY MY SKATER AND LIVE ON A 900 ACRE LAKE.I WISH I COULD HAVE KEPT BOTH AS MY 24 IS NOT REALLY PRACTICAL ON THE SMALLER WATER.I CAN USE IT THERE BUT ITS NOT ALL THAT FUN.I TOO TRAVEL TO BIGGER WATER OFTEN IN THE SUMMER AND THAT IS WHERE THE SKATER HULL SHINES.IN CONCLUSION,IF YOU HAVE ALREADY DECIDED TO BUY ONE OF THESE TWO HULLS MY VOTE IS ON THE SKATER.BUILT WELL,EXCELLENT REP,NAME KNOWN AORUND THE WORLD IN THE BOAT COMMUNITY,NOT A TON OF THEM OUT THERE,AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT VERY EASY TO SELL.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never ever seen a Liberator come out of Daves shop in Crowley Texas, with Paint on it...All of Daves work is gel coat, the only other person I know that is painting them is Randy "Wildman" and I know his paint jobs are immaculate. So the one boat you say with the poor paint on it....god only knows where it came from....Was the boat new or used?...thats what I thought.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread is gonna get interesting, let me just say I've seen Randy's boats , they are a work of art!!!! Everyone has their opinions. Hope this thread don't get out of hand

Hats off to you Randy and the work you do!!!
    Last edited by skatermike24; 08-03-2004 at 08:12 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question WHAT DO YOU USE IT FOR?

Skaters are simply great boats, but you don't say if you ski or do you just fly around. If you ski at all get the Liberator. It sounds like you do most of your boating is done on the small lake(over 75%). At that point get the Liberator. You don't have big boats to contend with and the higher freeboard of the Skater won't help you that much. Mike(At 100 Plus) might disagree with me but most of our boating is done on rougher surfaces( Long Island Sound, Barnegat Bay, Innner coastal Waterway, Great Bay) to name a few, if I lived on calmer water, I myself would would be driving a Liberator or a S.T.V.. Randy will tell you that a 21 Liberator will run with a 21 Skater in rough water. So be it, I do not have a ax to grind. These are my thoughts on what you have told us. Chuck.
    CHUCK & TRACY FREELAND

1990 25 Talon with twin Merc. 300XS's
    1983 Mako 21 with Merc. 225.
    www.Fullthrottlepowerboats.com

NEVER FORGET 9/11

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cellphone, food stamps, section 8 housing, a six-pack of beer and he'll vote for a Democrat the rest of his life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Like I've always said. This major of a purchase deserves some major homework. Look at both, ride in both, ask lots of questions, then decide. If you want new, only Liberators are still made. If you want used, look at both. The Pre-1996 Liberators have 5" less freeboard than 1996 and later. The new ones that I order are a stiffer layup and ride much better. Other things you may want to consider are: Do you turn alot? Do you ski or tube? do you want a rear sundeck? How much interior room do you want? Click on my website below if you have'nt already. See-ya, WILDMAN

Boat Delivery available

Things owned. NOTHING!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't go away mad Randy!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No one ever sees me mad. I'm just a happy kinda guy.

Boat Delivery available

Things owned. NOTHING!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Smitty
    I have never ever seen a Liberator come out of Daves shop in Crowley Texas, with Paint on it...All of Daves work is gel coat, the only other person I know that is painting them is Randy "Wildman" and I know his paint jobs are immaculate. So the one boat you say with the poor paint on it....god only knows where it came from....Was the boat new or used?...thats what I thought.....
    AS I SAID IN MY POST I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE OWNER DID TO IT AND WHO PAINTED IT.IT WAS USED AND DIDNT LOOK ALL THAT NICE.DIDNT MEAN TO STEP ON ANYONE TOES.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do ski, used to wakeboard and barefoot competitively. Behind my ski nautique

The boat i plan on buying will simply be a pleasure boat. I think an stv euro would suit MY lake better, but i dont think it would be much fun to travel with might be just a tad too small. With all the praise skaters get I decided one might deserve a look. Wildman i have visited your website, probably enouigh times to make it crash . I will be leaning towards a used boat for two reasons. Numero uno-cost. I simply cannot afford a full blown new boat. Numero dos-cost. To get the boat i want, I have to purchase used. Shopping a used boat shouldnt be an issue, like i said, my uncle has been a merc employee for 20 years, i have lived on a lake and around boats my whole life, as well as my old man. So finding a decent boat shouldnt be an issue.

Just for giggles, How fast could you comfortably cruise in an STV euro in say a 2 ft chop?, 3 foot? I dont mind getting a little wet, but dont forget the old lady will prolly be with me. Knowing this could also aid in my decision making process.

I enjoy the direction this thread is heading, you guys always seem to provide good information with out throwing unnecessary flames. Thanks again guys, carrry on

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast