Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who builds boats?

There are some Allison/Brooks Bullet Molds for sale here, thought about buying them and making a few boats for fun. The molds are in great shape, been in a basement ever since production stopped I reckon. I've got connections on help for building the boats(Stroker Bass Boats). Where would a person get the materials to build them at. The owner says if they don't sell, hes cutting them up and taking to the dump. Thanks all.

-Chad
    Chad

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look in the Yellow pages under Fiberglass materials/suppliers. Here on the Island, we have around 5 retailers to buy resins and glass. But, do the molds come with the templates for all the woodwork (floors, dask backs and cockpit sides, etc.)
    P.S. How much are they asking for the molds?

Rick

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its a Allison Bass boat mold from the late 70's, has all lid molds, basically everything from what I could tell to build your own. He wanted $1K but got to $800 cash
    Chad

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying the molds...

Is the easy part. Storing/using them in a warm envirement while laying them up, is more of a challenge. If you plan on selling them, you will have to consider advertising. Or hook-up with an exsisting boat dealer who will want to do this with/for you. If you just plan on building one or two for yourself, that's a different story. The best way to store a mold when not in use for a long time, is to lay up a new part in it. Or at least just a skin of fiberglass matt. That way you can store other smaller items inside(like the hull mold) that take up valuable shop floor space. If you are storing the larger molds(hull & deck) outside, thats O.K., BUT...You MUST store them upside down, so water NEVER sits in them or they will soon blister & become junk molds. You will pay WAY TOO MUCH for enough fiberglass materials to build a boat, buying from your local marine retailer. You need to find a fiberglass WHOLESALER. They supply to the fiberglass industry, like: Spa & hot-tub, cultured marble(counter tops, sinks, tubs, etc...made from marble chips/dust mixed with polyester resin), shower enclosure, boat, furniture manufactuers, etc... You could call any smaller boat builder in your area & ask to talk to the purchasing manager, who might divulge his sources. Hope this helps. M/C

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    c.phillips I'm work at Avenger custom bayboats in New Orleans .if you not going to get them mold plz turn me on to them,& if you want one of them hulls i will make you a deal for material cost only,, if it's something i want, ty travis 504-255-9788
    Last edited by Pumpkinhead; 08-19-2004 at 08:22 PM.