Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no doubt they can get that kind of power out of it, I just have doubts it would do it for very long. Does not look like 300hp 300x lasts very long from posts on here, and that is accomplished and refined design and the latest durability technology for that type motor. I can see them hogging it to 3.0L and going 300hp, maybe 350. The automakers (talking affordable mass cars here) have a hard time going much over 100hp/L, then you are WOT constant in a boat...I think the cost would be prohibitive though they might sell a few hipo versions for lots of cash, but not your normal motor. The boost will make loads of power if you crank it up, and loads of broken parts. I have to agree though, the monster torque these reportedly have must be a riot in an OB. I can't wait to hear about twins on a bigger tunnel Imagine the wheelies Wildman could do...will do?

You never know, maybe they have a big block version in the wings or something like that...something that could do 400hp easily. No reason it could not work on these bigger hulls that I know of. What if they had a 3.5-4.0L block? Would be what, only 50lbs more? Strap two on a 28' hull and it would perform.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by BarryStrawn
    And how many hours does a Mercuriser 1075 last when run wide open?

Or a Ferrari F40 if they took it to Nardo (8 mile banked track) and held it WFO.
    Can't speak much on the Mercruiser, HOWEVER,
    Considering the Ferrari's of today have AMAZING reliability (Michael Schumacher hasn't had a technical failure in 50 races)
    I think the F40 would last quite a while.
    When all you have in life is hammer, treat everything like nail!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on what "quite a while" means.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOT SURE IF ANYONE POSTED THIS YET OR NOT, BUT, FOR RELIABILTY COMPARISON PURPOSES, I AM PRETTY SURE THAT REBUILD SCHEDULES ON THE 900SC AND 1075SCi ARE AT 50 HOURS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet the F40 motor has some cash invested in it, and it costs a whole lot to get one.

So what is the deal with the Verados? Are they for sale now? No tests yet? Are the LUs doing ok? Thought I would have seen some more posts on them by now. That Miami boat show was a long time ago in S&F time

If they are going to get up to speed and compete with the old stuff these new motors need to get out there, for the benefit of everyone who likes to go faster.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way I understand that you can get a Verado is on pre-packaged boats. You will not be able to repower a boat with these at this time. There's a lot of training to be done for rigging and set up of these motors. This is probably why your not seeing them on the water yet unless it is on a new boat. Whaler, JC pontoons, Tritons and a few others. Manufacturers have to redesign transoms to fit the Verado's on these boats. I think it has something to do with the trim and steering system as well as the weight.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sho

There have been a few tests done so far by some mags. B&WB tested a 275 on a 22' flats boat (69 mph) and a 250 on a Triton TR-21x Bassboat (73 mph). IMO the results have been less than stellar, especially with all the "be all" "end all" hype that surrounded "Project X". I should re-itterate...great for a 4-stroke but still not performance of a 2-stroke.

I believe B&WB is going to pit the 250 Verado against the 250xs in an upcoming issue. Personally I think the 250xs will eat the 250V's lunch IF they use a bassboat. The Verado might have the edge if they use a big HEAVY Walleye boat.
    Last edited by DarthVMAX; 07-28-2004 at 10:40 AM.
    Allison XB2002 Comp Pro / 2.6L Yamaha 200 VMAX TRP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From posts here the SOB guys are running out these 250-300hp motors and giving some good info on them. I agree the hype was thick, as it is limited in what you can do with it. They gave the impression you could toss your 250 and use one of these.

Custom transom, that will make it hard to play with them for a while. Sounds like the current Verados are better for the I/O replacement angle. There are a ton of family I/Os around here, I think mostly due to the big lakes and how they allow you to run bigger water more easily aside from the normal sales reasons. I was thinking that is where they would cash in, on the family boats and cuddies, skiers, etc. With OB performance and power steering, that looks good...but they appear to be into the big bassers and fishers right now. Not a bad place I guess, just don't see as many of them here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Merc1100sc
    NOT SURE IF ANYONE POSTED THIS YET OR NOT, BUT, FOR RELIABILTY COMPARISON PURPOSES, I AM PRETTY SURE THAT REBUILD SCHEDULES ON THE 900SC AND 1075SCi ARE AT 50 HOURS.
    Thank You. 50 total hours seems pretty reasonable for the application.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talk about reliable. They have 56 boats at the classic this week, and here are the results before the party starts. Mercury was instructed be Bass to tune them down where they wouldn't run about 70. After rigging them, they have NONE that will run 70 before de-tuning. They had 1 that won't turn over 2000 rpms, 3 that won't even crank, and 2 that have died while idleing and won't fire back up. Juts stating the facts. Like any other NEW motor, they will have issues, and someone will figure out how to make one go.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re: Witchdoctor's facts

Where are your facts coming from bud? I can not EVER remember a BASS tourny regulating down to a 70 mph speed limit. Only regulations on HP limits for the boats being used.

Your facts remind me of when the Verado came out at the boat show, and guys where reporting they were catching on fire, blowing up,,blah,blah,blah.....

RB
    Russ Benton
    Allison XB-2003 w/JSRE Pro Max
    Allison XR-2001 w/260 +

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know where your gettin your facts witch Dr. but your full of bologna.My buddy is in the classic and has three days in the boat and I asked him about your dependability facts. He said your full of it. The Triton they're running the Verado's is a flats boat and the top speed is 72mph before the boat gets too goofy to handle. He said there is plenty more power left if the boat could handle it. He's sponsered by Skeeter and usually runs a Yamaha so his opinion is non biased. Blah Blah Blah!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my facts come from the guys that rigged them up. Don't shoot the messanger guys just telling you what I was told. Wouldn't matter to me what brand it was. Just saying what I know. If that pisses yall' off then let it be.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by optimax135
    The only way I understand that you can get a Verado is on pre-packaged boats. You will not be able to repower a boat with these at this time.
    Not true. I could go up to Almars Outboards and get one for my 215 Challenger right now.
    When all you have in life is hammer, treat everything like nail!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast