Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well...

I think it is time for the SUPER SPORT to change some...or DIE!

When Danny came up with the concept, he had planned NOISE...

I just returned from a two day race at Long Beach, California where racing has returned for two days, this year...(First time in 20 years)..

There were 25 Super Stock Flat Bottoms, there were 15 Cracker Boxes, 15 45 SS Tunnels, 9 GN's and a bunch of Personal Water Craft...

The Personal water Crafts were fast as hell, a lot of water thrown in the air....NO NOISY and very BORING.....They ran a long course...,too..

Super Stock, Cracker BOXES and GN's noisy...HEART POUNDING EXCITMENT....I'm telling you HEART POUNDING SOMEONE WILL POST DENNIS RANKIN'S CRASH PICTURES..he wasn't hurt seriously, but he was LUCKY)...

45 tunnels...small course, some noise, some action...fun to watch, but mostly because I knew everyone...

Bottomline, as I see it.... Super Stocks are running 427 Corvette motors (NOT NEW MOTORS---but 427's limit there speed)...

Cracker Boxes are 50 year old design...265 Chevy engines (Design limits the speed).

Bring Back MOD VP with a transom height run of 3" below the bottom (or lower, if needed) and Super Stock weight. Run ANY V-6 outboard and new 2006 225 motors and "SCREW" government EPA regulations" aboiut messing with the motors...The Fing NASCAR GUYS don't have EPA rules!!! Why should boat racers???

NASCAR has done well keeping the cars under 200. MOD VP's goal should be keeping the boats under 100.... Run 30 second sourses, too.

I was the "FATHER" of MOD VP's of OLD... I'll bring them back...

HEY, I need US-1's phone number.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with Ron... Those boats look great in photos... Need some noise to get more people involved. I think right now the best class in all of APBA is sst 120's. Quite a few drivers, we could always use more, but equip holds it value, makes noise, and they're pretty quick! Love to see super sport make some noise, I'm not really about making them faster or anything, just make some more noise!
    Brian
    Brian Tabara
    Tabara Racing
    Brian@TabaraRacing.com
    (612) 424-1201

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IOGP

Tabara Racing I know what you mean about Chris being a good F1 driver but please don't forget about Bill Seebold, he could carry the front of a boat higher than anyone and set it for the turn and be GONE. Damn just thinking about it gives me chills

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure wish we could go down to the race and see those battles again... I encourage anyone to get into a tunnel boat thats interested in them. Once you get in a tunnel, its hard to step out of it, they're that amazing of a machine...
    Brian
    Brian Tabara
    Tabara Racing
    Brian@TabaraRacing.com
    (612) 424-1201

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by tabararacing
    I'm not really about making them faster or anything, just make some more noise!
    Brian
    I think they should be making more power as well, it’s just hard to watch those big boats doing speeds of good SST45.
    Give them stock 225’s and let them loose.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats all they do? I thougth they went 90? Dont know never watched an entire race... Watching 45 races are up there with some of the best... But I dont think all those guys who own those boats are going to want to go out and put 225's on there. If anyone can make it happen is Ron Hill. I hope he can get some noise, power back into those type of boats.
    Brian Tabara
    Tabara Racing
    Brian@TabaraRacing.com
    (612) 424-1201

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ron Hill

You never cease to amaze me!!! First Super Sport was designed for 2006 if you have not noticed,,, it is only 2004.

Second is is hard to take you as a cridict on this class as you have never been to one of our races,,driven one of the boats,, or raced one of the boats.

when was the last time you had 1650 lbs of fiberglass up your ass??? much less 4-5 times that weight in boats rushing you for the turn. We all know that Mod-vp had the most exciting racing going on. rub rail to rub rail and heavy competition. Well we have that too!! Just as ruff and just as mean.

So why is there not the participation? Different times require different "entertainment " strategies. Boat racing is surrounded by the drivers needs. Every time someone in APBA says "we need to boost our membership" some one else farts " what we need is a new class". NASCAR figured out that the days of watching Richard Petty run away from the pack with all that special built Blah blah blah would come to an end. So Bill france and co. decided what they really wanted was to have another 100,00 seats filled in the stands. So restrictor plates came and the drivers hated it.

Thrill is what put people in the seats. Our leadership is not geared for that. Nor is our insurance company, nor do we have a private body of water to practice the goals. So as of right now we are left with doing it the way it has always been done. Untill leadership forms a new platform we will continue to dwindle untill nothing remains but grass roots racing.

All classes are down in participation. Super Sport has no reason to die. It is cutting edge. Old racers can't figure out how to cheat at it so they stick with what they know. and when that gone they are done.

New racers?? what do we have to attract them ??? Lake alfred??? Not a chance. No one is going to plop down 30,000 to go be a part of " nothing" And New sponsors do not seem to be attracted to the same old same old.

225?? what the????? did you read your post??? 3" or better below the bottom.??? Limit to 100 mph on a 30 second course??? What are you smokin? A 225 will not make 85 on a 30 second couse. whoops there goes the need for a nose cone.

My 150 will match that now. So I fail to see the need for an additional 80 lbs swinging around back there on top of the 460 that holds on now. or maybe you still think motors weight 350.

Most of us have agreed that a little noise would improve the show, after all silent movies went out years ago ( or are you still thrilled by them ) as far as weight goes ...????? still out on that one.

Super Sport works, our driver count went up when we had APR interested in taking us on. Now that that is over the history clearly shows that the boats work fine, but the venues are what needs to be worked on. Better events more drivers ,,, more drivers even better events.... better events more spectators and on and on. APBA is depending on the drivers to pull the weight. this is just too hard in this day. Times have changed and for anything to be successfull all things must change with it.

PS have you thought for a moment that when 2006 comes and green motors are the only thing avilable, how that is going to affect all the dinasour classes?? SS is simply ahead of its time. But of course like Nascar I guess their will be motor builders waiting in the wings with thier own casting and millions of dollars of tooling to keep up the 120 class as it is for the 50 or so customers that are in it now when parts are available.

Gimme a break !!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the class but I think it is in jeopardy of being gone due to no participation. 4 boats this season all from the Quartershot camp, that is it. That is pretty weak! All 4 of those boats would go to 225's in a heartbeat if there was any sign of more participation. As it stands we are all going to other classes next year due to no boats to race. So unless something changes that means NO SS boats next year.

There is nothing wrong with the class the way it is except the promoting of the class within the Association.

The SS boats run the same lap speeds of the sst60's consistently!

p.s. If my SS doesn't sell I just may change the motor and remind region 5 MOD-U how fast a MOD-VP boat really is!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Mike Muldrow
    p.s. If my SS doesn't sell I just may change the motor and remind region 5 MOD-U how fast a MOD-VP boat really is!

Now you’re talking.
    So we should get ready...
    Anyone else?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Ron Hill
    Freakin' Screamin'

Going back to 1976, the OPC NAtionals were in Dayton, OHIO. I didn't have nay OPC equipment to run but had been to Hinto, WV ast the Stock Nationals the week before. So, I decided to stop and watch some of my props run.

Lee Sutter was running an old Marchetti in "R" and John Rinker was running a kneel down "SE". I was into kneel downers... I thought Sport D was cool with the new Mercury 50 HP...I was helping Sutter and he won "R". I was helping John Rinker when he blew over and broke his back... I started wonder about kneeling down...

FJ came up and there was like 20 of these crazies.. All had Allisons. All had 150 Mercs.. No nose cones. No bottom water pickups. He one guy would lead then antother, becasue they would "Blow out" and have to slow to get "hooked back up". I thought this was so cool... Joe Burgess was running one of my "blow out rings" and he was right up front... What a great class I thought...but it looked too dangerous for me...

I oppose nose cones...in Super Sport...Everybody is running equal stuff...let the individual figure it out...Super Sport had the latest safety stuff....80-85 is plenty fast enough to have a good time...and trust me, those drivers in the FJ, were DRIVERS....

Report this post to a moderator

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ron

this was cut and paste from 2001 word for word what you said what has change you???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

I oppose nose cones...in Super Sport...Everybody is running equal stuff...let the individual figure it out...Super Sport had the latest safety stuff....80-85 is plenty fast enough to have a good time...and trust me, those drivers in the FJ, were DRIVERS....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

are you getting this???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the lack of participation and spectator interest in OPC SuperSport has changed some opinions about the formula? They look to be fun for the drivers but from the bank it isn't much of a show. Most of the action seemed to from someone spinning out and everyone watching to see if they got run over. I never understood the ban on left hand cases.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never been to a race where the spectators didn't like Supersport. The majority of the naysayers about the class race in other classes that are dying.

The only complaint that I hear consistently is people want noise, I agree.

The last race I was at I sold over 30 T-shirts and everyone wanted pictures on the boat. I would be comfortable saying the crowd overwhelming liked the SS boats the most of all the classes there. We are not the fastest class but the show is what the people want but it is a hard show to sell with 4 boats at a race!

The racers in the class signed a petition to open the exhaust and lower the weight at the beginning of this season. No response from the powers that be.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast