Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Bypassing the Vehicle Anti-Theft System (VATS) in my Camaro...

As many of you know, many GM cars have the Pass-Key VATS system. It's that little pellet in the key that authorizes ignition when read by the ignition cylinder. Well, the "workhorse car" - my 1993 Camaro has it too.

Basically, these systems are very problematic. When the system fails to read the key on start-up, you must wait 3 minutes to attempt to start the car again. Very annoying. Anyway, the "pellet" in the key is just a resistor, so I went to a Chevy dealer today and got the key code for it. After that, I went home to look up the resistance value for my code. A quick trip to Radio Shack and 69 cents later, I had the resistor I needed to bypass the system.

My situation was complicated further by the remote starter in the car, which uses an extra relay to bypass the VATS system on remote startup.

Pic 1 shows what was under the dash cover. What a mess - the previous alarm installer really hacked into this car. Time to identify wires and reorganize things. In my hand is the remote receiver, the Viper VATS bypass module, and the remote start relay.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01.jpg  

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here