Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Jeff...no..I mean VERY narrow 2 ring pistons....... They may have been available as a kit later on..... but I recall different variants and ring widths.

Rich

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Rich, if you know a visible difference internally or externally, I'd like to know it to look at some of my engines. I'd hate to pull one all the way down for the sake of verification, but think I could figure it out externally if it's port timing or rings.

One thing that's always made me think there wasn't a powerhead change per se at the time of the X introduction was the fact that there seemed to be an upgrade kit available from Merc that included the mid section, powerhead adapter and driveshaft, as well as some incidentals, but no powerhead. I'm unsure if the cowl was included in the package............ maybe you remember.

I've got a complete, new in the box upgrade kit for changing a Twister to a Twister 1. It included a block, crank, (different firing order) reed blocks, switchbox, exhaust log, pistons, and tons of nuts, bolts, etc. It also included the blue T1 cowl stickers. Interestingly, with all the powerhead internals, there were no rods, reeds, or stops. This kit was new and still factory sealed when I bought it about 10 years ago.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rich the one I'm talking about were maybe less than 1/8 inch. Almost the thickness of a oil retainer ring on a car piston. Very thin.
    I also remember, this is getting real fuzzy, about a 650xs with the same rings but only from hi-Per.
    Do you know or am I all screwed up.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

3 X APBA Formula V Nat'l Champion
    APBA Formula V US-1
    It took me 29 years to become an overnight success.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Jeff_G
    Rich the one I'm talking about were maybe less than 1/8 inch. Almost the thickness of a oil retainer ring on a car piston. Very thin.
    I also remember, this is getting real fuzzy, about a 650xs with the same rings but only from hi-Per.
    Do you know or am I all screwed up.
    A 650 Xs was either 2/3rds or half of a T2x,,, I'm forgetting if it was a three or four cylinder motor.... They were run on smaller tunnels as Mod 50's, I think. The engines, I recall, were on the Canadian Merc team boats..... and all of those motors were factory units... so I can't help you there.

RM.... again this is ancient ...but I remember differences in the harnesses for the T2x vs T2's..... The wiring also entered the cowl in a different way. As to the powerheads themselves.... I recall a slightly different carburetor profile....Maybe the T2-x's didn't have the same inlet venturi's??? I'm also thinking the flywheels were different.....

Is your point that the motors only differed in the Exhaust tuners
    ? I do remember using different lengths depending upon the acceleration needs of a particular course...... On the T2-x's only.
    I wish I could remember the detailed differences....... But the performance increase was rather dramatic for only a tuner change.

T2x
    Last edited by T2x; 10-16-2003 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Raceman

One thing that's always made me think there wasn't a powerhead change per se at the time of the X introduction was the fact that there seemed to be an upgrade kit available from Merc that included the mid section, powerhead adapter and driveshaft, as well as some incidentals, but no powerhead. I'm unsure if the cowl was included in the package............ maybe you remember.

The cowl would have to be included as it was quite different...... This kit rings a bell........I think it was only to allow T-2 owners the ability to utilize the better(adjustable height...single faster trim ram) center section.... not to "make a T2x"....But I could be mistaken. As i said we put a T-2 powerhead on a T2x center and the boat in question..... a Milesmaster that the T-2 was on originally...returned to loping badly under acceleration in calm water...... The x powerhead pushed it right through that transition stage and had more top end to boot.

T2x...... craving his old testing notes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Rich, I don't recall any differences in the wiring harness. I've only got 2 of the X cowls, but they're cut in the same place as the regular T2.

Talk about your memory fading............. I can't remember the configuration of the tuner in the T2 mid, but it seems like it was fixed in the housing. I guess it might've been accessible from the bottom with the gearcase adapter off, but I can't remember. I'll have to look at one next week. I've got 3 T2's, but none of them are apart, which given my past history is a miracle in itself. I've only seen one style of T2X powerhead adapter/tuner plate and it's the one I've posted here before. That doesn't mean there weren't more, because all my X stuff was bought used after it'd been sitting for years. Assuming the X stuff I have is in fact X, and not just T2, the only difference I've been able to detect in the configuration of the carbs is the addition of the second tube in the venturi, and I haven't ever been aware of any difference in the flywheels either, but when you're foolin' with a lot of 30 year old used stuff, a lot of components could've been switched around. Of course the X upgrade kit would've lowered the overall engine height by 5 inches, requiring a cut of the transom of that much also. I've gotta call an old friend tonight about something else who raced a T2 and maybe an X and I'll see if he can shed any light on the differences.

The 650X, 650XS & 700X were all 3 cyls, and roughly half of a T2 or T2X. The two X motors were run in the mod 50 class (50 inches) and were outclassed by the 3 cyl OMC loopers for their entire life. The 650XS didn't fare any better in the small V bottom and tunnel classes (ES and EP??????) I've never known what the difference was between the 650X and 700X either, but perhaps one was half of the T2 and the other half of the T2X, just a guess since they were both 50 inches and 3 cyls with the same external configuration.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C6 mid

Hey guys, maybe this will shed a litle light on the mid subject. It looks like the tuner is cast into the mid and not changeable. Here are a couple pics of mine. Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c6 mid 4.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C6 mid

Here is another one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c6 mid 3.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C6 mid

And one from the bottom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C6 mid

Well try this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c6 mid 2.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I've just seen pics of that mid somewhere recently. With that made up adapter plate it'd have to be a couple of inches shorter than a std. T2. I'll try to post some pics of one of mine next week.

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The motors that I had heard the factory call "C-6" were raced the same time the first "Cowbell" Twister was raced ... fall of 1970, well before the T-2 or T-2x

There was also at least one prototype 9 carb motor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    RM:

One of my old Canadian colleagues....Jeff Ettinger...just e-mailed me that the 650x used T-2 pistons.... and the 700x...used T2x pistons......

Therefore.......... there was a piston difference.... if Jeff is correct.

T2x

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T2 or C6

I jsut remember a team in 1973-74, Screaming Yellow Zonkers racing team, campaigned 3 boats with T2's and those guys frequently referred to the engines as C6's. They were Bill Rowell, Chick Gagen and Jock Horner. Bill did all of the service work on the motors and in conversations over the years he referred to the c6's and T2's as the same. That's all I know for what it is worth!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Zonkers team...... included Billy Sirois.....

They campaigned hulls called Zonker Craft.......which Begat the Scorpion hull that Doug Pearl ran so successfully in SJ.

C-6 was the code name for the original factory team 6 carb inline 6's( in a variety of protype configurations)..... T2 was the eventual name when they became available to the GP as a standardized product.

T2x

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast