Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was under the impression the C6 used the Oval carbs (Mercarb) and when finally released the T2 used the Tillitsons.

The 650XS and the T2 having the original rings would have been the real thin rings then, I assume. But then again I sometimes assume too much!

Chick, and Jock went on the found a marine dealership on US 1 in Miami, Boat Center, and Bill Rowell was the service manager. Bill also was the referee for all the Miami Outboard Club's OPC races in the 70's. Sirois went on to GN racing.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

3 X APBA Formula V Nat'l Champion
    APBA Formula V US-1
    It took me 29 years to become an overnight success.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Jeff_G
    Sirois went on to GN racing.
    He went on to a lot more than that..........

In boat racing there were, in my lifetime, two King Williams

Siroix and Seebold.

T2x

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I second that

Sirois could beat anybody in anything...and I miss him...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

screaming yellow zonkers

I think Gary Peacock was also a team member..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SIROIS

OLEGATOR

Remember when he would ride the deck of old George Thompsons Jones cat to show him which way to go...the early years..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I don't know what's absolutely correct in terminology, but I've always heard the whole group of 6 carb inlines such as the T2 loosely referred to as C6's and just figured this referred to carbs-6. There really wasn't any of that stuff around here until I started buying it used, so I don't know exactly where that impression came from. One of my old buds that I've talked to a time or 2 lately evolved pretty much through the Twister line and into the early V6's. Maybe he can ad a little.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I agree that the whole family can be called "C-6's" when refering to the family. I think it came from the engineers working on the 6 carb/horizontal reed project before it had a sales name.

Its just that the pre-T2 C6's have no other name and the "Super Six", T-2 and T-2x do have other names that narrow their identification.

If we don't give the raced prototype six carb motors the C-6 name then I have to call them "pre Twister 2 C-6 prototypes" everytime I want someone to know what I am talking about.

Regarding the carbs Jeff G mentions, there originally were 2 different engineering groups working on the T-2/C-6 development at the same time. One group was working with Tillotsons at the same time the other group was trying the oval carbs and refined the exhaust tuning. In the end some guys were let go and the projects were merged and became the T-2.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was racing in south florida when the Screaming Yellow Zonkers team was in buisness and I think that Chic Gagen and Gary Peacock were the the main drivers. I am pretty sure that Gary came up with sponsorship from Nabisco who made "Screaming Yellow Zonkers" snacks back then. They started out running yellow Glastron Molinari hulls with stackers hence the team name and the sponsor tie in. I dont remember Jock driving for them. The boat centers were originaly C&W Marine owned by Neil Chambers and Ward Weis. I believe Jock aquired the buisness from Neil and that he also had another shop in Ft. Lauderdale at that time I think it was a Mercruiser Dealership. Bill Rowell worked as a manager at the shop in South Miami and Chick drove Bill's UI boat more than Bill did.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary was a always quite a promoter and salesman. I also remember the banner plane. Maybe I should have tried that.
    Last edited by 2us70; 10-18-2003 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of guys blew over right in front of the stands at the Stadium. I think the shape of the grandstands combined with a prevailing southeast wind caused an increase in lift at that point. I was able to test and race there on a regular basis and I noticed this effect in a number of boats. A couple of times I saw smoke from flares make a big vortex right there when they used them to stop races after accidents. If you had a boat realy aired out before getting to the stands you had to be ready for that little extra. Reggie Fountain, Danny Piggot and Harry Kerslake may have been victims of this when they all blew over at the Nationals.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool S. Fla Racers

Wow! Does this site bring back memories! Loved those Mercs, from my 1st Mark 55 on a Falls Flyer, to many 75 & 78AEs on a Powercat.

I started working for Janisch & Sirois in '73 on Ravenswood. 1st day - Bill told me to go next door & change the starter on the 27' Magnum - which had twin turbines & old II drives! Yeah, I do miss the "Old Sea Dad"! We did have some fun. BTW, Doug Janisch not doing real well.

Jock Horner had the Boat Center at 84 & the river, then sold to Ross Bennet later. Then Chick moved it to SR7.

I sold all my TI engines & parts to some Canadian guys. Had a few sets of single-ring, finger ported pistons Merc sold me (Dave Christy?) My Al Martin hull went to Peter Young.

Don't recognize any screen names here except John S, but I know Gary ?, who used to work for Barney at Action Marine in Hollywood had a lot of classic Merc iron years ago.

Anyway, pardon my rambling. Lot's of fun stuff here!

Bil Click

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation More old farts...

Speaking of O.F, John, have you or anyone else seen or heard from Joe Colt lately???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question M.O.F.

He & Charlie O'Neil were buds - Team Batwinger(!) Just raced SE circuit. I bought my Al Martin tunnel from him. He was probably best known for getting thrown out of Marine Stadium, and everywhere else, just for being a homicidal maniac. Last I heard, he was guiding bass fishing around Okeechobee.

* Give my best regards to Dave C!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Reggie

I worked for a Fountain dealership some years ago, and had the misfortune of personally meeting Reggie at a Poker run in Ontario. Believe you me, he is no gentleman.

George

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sherlock

Had a lot of good times in that Stadium, and yes I blew over in the Stadium, just past the floating stage, last half lap before the finish, 19??. The boat was George Nicholsons Seebold and it was my first V-6 ride. It was a long, quiet and sore ride back to New Jersey but had time to think of how I was going to tell our sponsor,Georges dad, Nicholson Furs, the news.

GREAT TIMES (found the strip clubs that year)
    John
    George is working for a boat service shop on Rte 46 in Landing....

I saw him a couple of years ago....... He is a LONG way away from the guy we knew.

T2x

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast