Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best "V" hull Hydrostream for a Drag boat.

Maybe this will not start a fight, lol but was reading another thread on new boat hull design and everyone was talking about using a vector rather than a V-king for a drag boat, and that suprises me since I always thought a V-king was a better boat than a vector, just curious as to everyone's thoughts as to what they would run and why? My current boat will never be a speed demon, so I would like to find a Vector or a V-king to work on for my next project, and build it to run like hell. So talk to me guys what's your opinion.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the vector is supposed to be 3 to 4 mph faster but the v-king is a lot better to drive. I own both and i prefer the v-king.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I disagree - I know the Vector/V-King debate is an old one, but experience has told me that the V-King is faster (top speed) and better balanced than the Vector, all else being equal.

Just my 2 cents - like I said, this is an old debate... They are both very capable boats, however they are each different in terms of bottom design. Don't let the decks fool you - the Vector and V-King bottoms are quite different.

As far as a drag boat application - I don't think either boat is a good choice.

Greg

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greg...

We generally run about and 1/8 mile here a little less on the river and I would like to build a boat that is Pretty respectable thru that distance. We have alot of hydrostreams in our area and I can pick up an old hull that needs some repair fairly cheap. and was just curious. I know every V-king I have driven handled like a dream, and honestly not sure I have every driven a vector, but heard they can be a handfull to handle if not set up exactly right. So was just curious, thanks for the input.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I've gotta disagree on the Vector/V King. Although my experience is with Vectors and Vikings, I doubt the V King had changes over the old Viking sufficient enough to make it superior to the Vector as the speed king. No question the Viking is a better overall balance. I had a comp Vector as well as a number of std Vectors and there were also Vikings. There's no question that the Viking/V King is an easier boat to drive and that it has better overall manners but I've always found the Vectors faster, whether the bottoms were stock or blueprinted. I've never been around a Viper with real big power like Ronnies, but would guess it would be faster still, but probably much more of a handfull than the Vector even. GB, you'll find a Vector MUCH MORE difficult to drive than a V King.

I will agree that if you fall into the trap of cutting the pad straight on the Vector, you might as well buy a V King in the first place.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Georgia Boy, how confused are you now.

I'd say Vector's faster. BUT, if your running in rivers, you'll NEVER have as much fun as you will in a tunnell vee. It would be like putting a nascar cup car on a road coarse with a F1 car.
    Comp. STV - 2.5 EFI
    Vegas XT - 2.4 200
    Vector project - mod. 2.4 225

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heath, only one problem....

If i was to buy a tunnel, i would buy a relatively nice one and I can guarrantee if i did that I would have to buy the exwife one also! I can buy an old project boat that looks like crap and get away with it, lol The hydrostreams are plentiful here and easy to come across cheep atleast the Vectors are. The V-kings are here, but take a little more time to find and Honestly if I get a Vector I will probably wind up Flatening the pad on it. just because the ones I have seen were so bad to porpoise. So I may be better with just looking for a V-king.I want to build this boat basically like a comp boat. one seat, no floor and as light as posssible. Just curious but does anyone know what the average weight of of the vector vs. the V-king.? I am still a good ways off from doing this, but I want to get my information where I can start looking for a good candidate for a hull, Thanks for the info Guys you are all great, I have had a boat for years but relatively new to this high performance stuff, and have learned alot from you. Thanks GB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Georgia Boy

I HAVE DRAG RACED A V-KING AND CAN TELL YOU THAT NO MATTER HOW LIGHT IT IS IT WILL SHOOT THE NOSE TO THE SKY WHILE THE OTHER GUY IS HEADING DOWN THE COURSE!but the light boat is deffinetly a must.IT will still bounce two to three times before it sets and that makes for ****ty drag boat .thats wy I stepped up to a tunell hull .Its a copy of an s.t.v.
    Rob Lankford

1988 20' Action Marine 2.4 200

Previous owned boats worth mentioning

1976 17' Action Marine 2.4 200
    1984 20' Action Marine 2.5 200
    1983 17' Hydrostream V-King 2.4 Bridgeport
    2003 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280 /300 Drag
    2005 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280
    2005 Baja 23 Outlaw 6.2 Mercruiser
    2006 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 200 CARB/2.5 225 PROMAX
    2009 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 280

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Georgia Boy....

Man,
    Just get in the boat wit Brian and come over to the sandbar this weekend. You know there are always Vectors everywhere over there. I'm sure one of them boys would take you for a ride and even let you drive. If you gonna go Balls to the Wall 1/8 mile racing, I say the Vector. Hell look at what Grumpy was doing at the rally with the camo looking boat. That was a vector. To me the V-king seems more like a pleasure boat after driving the Vector. The V-king is a lot easier to drive, less bounce, more stability, more forgiving. More like a family ski boat with performance. The Vector is harder to drive, every one of em that I have driven has that distinct porpoise in between bout 25 to 45 mph. After that on the pad, smooth as a baby's ass. But you have to learn how to drive one. Jesse still needs lessons...LOL!

Later,
    Itchy
    Smith's Bend Scoundrel

'88/'11 Reaction 19, '88 Merc 200 "Jus' Toodlin'"
    '83 Hydrostream Varmint, '88 Merc 200 "Jus Triflin'"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    There's one more possibility you should consider in your search.......... an old 16 Allison, and as a second choice a 15. They're easier to drive than a Stream and in my opinion faster. They still show up from time to time, usually at very reasonable prices and they don't seem to have the bottom/transom rebuild requirements in almost all cases that the Streams do, for whatever reasons. I'm not bashin' on the Streams, and really like them also, but the Allys are great little boats. Since Allison no longer builds them, some of the molds have been aquired by other people. The 13's are presently being built for about 2500. bare and there's talk of doing the 15's also. Rumor has it that the 16 molds no longer exist, but who knows, with Allison's permission of course, one might be duplicated in the future.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a good choice, BUT if it comes down to a Vector/Viking decision for you, I think you'd be happier with a vector and leave the bottom alone. Like Mercme said go for a ride in one, people are usually more that willing to take you for a ride in their boat, I know I always will.
    Comp. STV - 2.5 EFI
    Vegas XT - 2.4 200

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

itchy...

I will be there this weekend, for sure, i am bringing my old boat and I am sure bryan is coming with me. This winter I am completely regelcoating it and RD is going to build me a V-6 for it, and should make a nice boat, but it is just not a boat for real speed. I want to find me something to just play with, and to be honest when I saw Grumpy's that is when I started thinking about playing with something like that, hell that was one of the hardest running streams I have seen so far at the sandbar, they Say roundman's is tough also although I have never seen him run. and I aint gonna yank on Jesse, lol he is doing better with it than I could probably, lol about 60 is as fast as my boat will get except when Bryan lets me run his up river and play. Bassically i just like tinkering with a boat, and Due to the exwife my money right now stays kind of tight, and I figured for the money the hydrostream would be as good as you can get. and if anyone can make it run like hell for cheap RD can show me how, lol Hell that allison had a oak tree growing thru the hull when him and Bryan found it, and look at it. See ya at the sand bar. GB

Oh by the way ITCHY the boat looked Damn Good at the rally man. I have some pics I will get posted in the next day or so, See ya

WASHINGTON N.C.. I TOO HAVE A BOATING PROBLEM
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried everything to get my Vector to stop bouncing, nothing works.

I filled the pad, machined my 6" jackplate to be run as a 6" or 4", still bounces.

I took the plate off, still bounces, and lost 5 MPH.

Went to an 8" plate, gained about 3 MPH, but still bounces.

The only way to make it not bounce between 40 and 50 MPH is to not go that speed!

If I trim as I nail it, (or even 1/2 nail it) I can get through those speeds with a slight bobble, if I turn and do the same sometimes, I can ever make the bobble go away.

Someone that has never driven a Vector cannot drive it, and if they get through the bounce (with luck only) they will not be able to drive due to the chine walk, it takes lots of seat time!
    JOHN MASON
    '83/VECTOR/MERC 200-- SOLD
    '98 Quartershot T-3/ MERC 200

"If your not living on the edge, your taking up to much space"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

v-king's best

my experience.. i've owned / drag raced both vector & v-king with apba / dsra / odba.......without a doubt the v-king will out perform any other hydrostream drag racing, it on the pad quicker that the vector, & in drag racing that is critical...jay smith of jsre & others that ran these associations can confirm what i'm saying about the v-king i owned.....we did lots of testing / set-up work on my hydrostreams as we do now with the allison's....but without boring everyone, the answer to your question "which hydrostream is best for drag racing?"......v-king, no doubt.!
    Mike Watts "Poor O Mike"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by WATERWINGS

I took the plate off, still bounces, and lost 5 MPH.

Went to an 8" plate, gained about 3 MPH, but still bounces.

[/B]
    Lost 5 mph when t you took off the 4" or 6" plate?
    8" plate, gained 3 mph. 3 mph over the other plate or the transom?
    Comp. STV - 2.5 EFI
    Vegas XT - 2.4 200

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast