Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Want a bigger motor on my boat...

I was just wondering what you guys thought, the motor that is allowed on my boat only goes up to a 140hp, but how would I get a nice big V6 on there, and what would I have to worry about? I am redoing the transom anyhow so I just wanna do it for what ever the case may be. I was thinking the weight of it is enough to crack it, then once you giver her a little gas the power head would be lower in the water then the prop...what do you guys think? let me know!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Djyox

Im sure help will come but you might need to give a better description of what you have to put the extra power own and what power you currently have.
    YOU JUST CANT FIX STUPID

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there isn't a motor on there at all...just didn't want to limit myself when the time came to drop on a powerplant.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think youll have a problem getting the go ahead for the BIG mota here!!!

what kind of boat? theres guys with heavy V6 rudes @ 260hp on 14 foot boats that are fun as helll!

if it wont sink, go for it, hell Merc has a 300X on a pontoon boat thatll do over 80!!

build the transom strong with Knees going forward. a thick transom you cant go wrong with. youll be able to hang whatever you want on it.

Crew chief 2004 CHAMP ROOKIE OF THE YEAR!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup

Aircraftman is spot-on. Begin with the bottom, does it have a pad? if so, would making it wider be better? Chines and strakes, are they sharp and straight? Next the transom, we know it has to be replaced, spend some time in some of the previous threads they go into great clear detail adding knees, braces etc.

BUT it's already been brought to your attention to look carefully at the financial aspect, what are you looking to do with this boat? If a true lake hot rod is your goal are you working with a hull that will get you there? How much money are you willing to spend, bearing in mind that most of it, and very little if any of your time will be recouped when ya finally slap a for sale sign on it.

So a.) the bottom
    b.) the transom
    c.) the motor

got to it!
    Scott
    '77-16' Baja, '77 Johnson V4
    Winner: Rumble 2003
    By-U-Boyz Pikk Ov Tha Litter award
    Scottraby@charter.net

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay

See how easy it is to get help. But you still have not given an Item to respond to Engine Size Type of Boat if you Jerk these Guys Chains help won't come at all..... Give these Guys more you will be truly surprised.
    YOU JUST CANT FIX STUPID

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some hulls that will need mods to handle big power, and you can find out here. Some are maybe not worth going there with, and some work fine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here are the pics of my boat... I want to go up to a 2.5 V6 on the back, but still stay as small as a 150 on the back....I want a big stand off, or a big jacking plate...I just want to get it up and as far away from the boat as I can. and some trim tabs will help if it wants to ride the tail too much. I think let me know, there was a guy on here who knew about these boats but I can't get ahold of him ever and can't find the posts he had of these boats forsale...lakeracer or something like that....if anyone knows any info of this boat please let me know. if not look at the pics, the boat is about 16.3' long and I don't remember the beam or depth, I will let you know tomorrow when I go out to work on it. also, should I cut from the inside or the outside to get at the wood on the transom. I will start digging for the forums too....so any more questions, let me know.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm

Well Nice looking boat it should make a nice ride when you get it finished, Just curious but why do you want to set it up so far back you have to add something to help keep the nose down? This is just my opinion, but I think you would be asking for trouble if were to do that, just remember that the more setback you have the more leverage will be on your transom therefore the transom had better be strong especially with a V-6. I am sure there are some people on here who can tell you to the "T" on how to set it up, but don't get ahead of yourself. You may find out it does not need to be setback very far at all. and here is the other aspect if you are going to big power on back, then you need a kill switch installed, a hot foot, and especially dual cable steering on your boat, or things can get real hairy in a hurry if something goes wrong. not to metion seat time to get used to it. keep some pics posted of the progress, look forward to seeing what it looks like finished. goodluck

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the good advice Georgia Boy. I am trying to put R/C boating in with real boats, I used to run those little guys and could get em up to around 75mph. So my goal is to get my boat faster than little R/C boats. I would love to get someone to just tell me what to do...word for word. but I will deal with everyone just kinda giving me hints here and there. Any advice is always welcome. Thanks alot again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Djyox

Well i am far from an expert but I do not mind throwing my $.02 worth and advise where I can. I honestly do not think that you will need much setback with your boat considering it is only 16ft. long and your wanting to use a V-6. If you setback too much then the boat will get flighty and you do not want that on a boat Start with a four inch and if you run it and think you need more got to six and so on, better to start closer and work out I would think due to handling. something I did not mention before is that you need solid mounts on your V-6 or at high speed it can be dangerous from bad handling.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh ok, but I do want the point of the nose cone on the lower unit flush with the bottom of the hull right? I think thats the fastest? I dunno in R/Cing it is anyhow....but like I said before, I know R/C but big boats are still new to me. I just don't know what to do, I mean how much I should build up the back? I will get some pictures tomorrow and show you guys what it looks like.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh sweet, a little tunnel!

You will have to run the motor deeper on a real tunnel like that, as the LU is in open water. I'm not up on tunnels much, but I would guess you would not be able to get higher than the shaft even with the bottom of the sponsons(?) if that, maybe at max speed you can get that high. Most hulls this size are like said before, and take 0-6" setback jack. Since the 2.5 is pretty big you will not need much for this size boat, and less is a better balanced hull typically. On a newer Merc the 150 and 200 are both 2.5 block and about same weight, the XR6s. People only use big setback on a heavier hull because they have to, and too much will not work well. A hot V4 would go well on there too, as a V6 may be a pain. Not knowing how it would carry the weight.

I did a transom by cutting the skin off from the outside, and I would IMHO, go through the hassle of doing it from the inside next time. Either cut the well out for access, or take off the deck and do it right. But it is up to you. It is lots of work getting the skin back on and looking good, and being strong. Check closely to see if you need to do any other work in there like knees and floors too, it will be much easier with the deck off.

It is not that hard, but still a lot of work and time to fix a hull. You have a real neat hull there to do up nice if you are up to it. Certainly something you don't see often; a little tunnel like that. I like it

Most say think about a nosecone over 60-80mph and if you don't need bow lift. Doubt you would need bow lift if you had a 2.5 on there...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont put a nosecone on it until you need one!!! use a water pressure gauge as you progress through your setup and if the good acceleration and top end comes with a loss in water pressure cuz the X dimension is so high the pickups cant get water then its time for a LWP. if it dosent run over 80. dont worry about it. get the hull done up right first. then put as much HP as you want on it.

The guys here need specific details!! i mean specific. so go for it and formulate a plan.!

Crew chief 2004 CHAMP ROOKIE OF THE YEAR!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rigging tip

Djyox, I know nothing about your boat except that it looks small and light and should therefore not need much if any setback with a V6 engine.

However, I can give you one piece of advice which I know you will not follow 100%, but please try:

When rigging your boat, only change one thing at a time. First add the engine. Then add set-back. Then take away set-back if it did not help. Then add nose-cone. Then take-away nose cone if it did not help. etc, etc. Otherwise, you will get lost and not know what works and what doesn't.
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance