Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lets talk 280 problems

i have a 2.5 280 and now i have no problems with it because i have fixed it, but i have had to replace alot of stuff and i will go thur them and see if anyone else has had these problems i know one other guy that has had the same problems as i have, but he too had fixed them, when i got the motor it had a thropy plus 28 it wouldnt load on the trailer and would only run 76 mph, the CON box was then stuck in break in mode had to get that fixed but still the prop was bad still in the 78 mph, changed to chopperII 28 then the prop shaft broke off at the foot lost a new chopperII 28 button of the lake , oh the chopperII 28 is what took me to the 100 mph mark, then while it was down we went ahead and changes the piston and bearings just went thur the whole motor an put all the good stuff in, now the crank shaft has stripped the splines and is no good and #3 cyclinder rings came apart and messed up the head,so we are fixing it again, but i just dont know why the crank shaft stripped there is minnor damage to th flywheel the crank looks like it has had a torch to it, it is all black and has some rust but all the bearings are fine, but by it breaking it did other damage to the motor but i have it all going back together now should be done in the next 2 weeks it is a killer motor runs like crazy but i dont know why this has happend or if it is happening to others just let me know what you yall think strokerga

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since no one else replied, I guess I will. My 2000 on an Allison is going into 4th season with NO problems at all (maybe I should knock on wood). Plugs and impeller every 50 hours is all I have done. Turns 8200 once in a while too. I love it. GAR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well thanks for the reply i enjoy the motor and it runs greats i just have had some bad luck i guess but i know a guy in middle ga that has has almost the same promblem and i was told that there was about a half dozen in louisanna with the same thing going on but not twice like me i think there was damage from the first time that was not caught or seen and that is what happenend this time, i know i will be back at it soon and i know i will be having fun, i look forward to posting new numbers i really think with the set up it will go on over the 100mph mark again again thanks for the reply strokerga

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question What year

strokerga what year is your 280? I have heard of a few problems in the first year or so, but a friend of mine has one of the earily ones (his bracket says 260 and the powerhead says 280) on a HST and he has 3 seasons on it with no problems. I ran mine on the water (2002 model) for the first time on Tuesday, ran fine but went back to the dock to pickup someone and it wouldn't start again. Took it home and found that I had a bad starter solenoid (only put 6/10 of an hour on it so far). Replaced it last night and I am back in buisness, but I sure hope that it will be the last of my problems for a while

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well my motor is a 2000 and like i said when it broke the prop it brokes a few other things and we went thur it and fixed it but just after break in it broke againg and i think it was from damage that was not seen or caught at that time, oh i had to replace my starter cylonid too, i know one guy that bought a brand new 2002 on his boat and went thur 2 ecu boxes and and then traded for the 250 xs anyways and i know people that have had no problems as well i guess it is the luck of the draw sometimes, i know we had it working real good before it broke and it was to bad we could not see the damage to the crank shaft, but who send there cranks out for testing when they look great, all we did was put new bearings on it well thanks Strokerga