Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to clear things up.
    We English use the words both Tosser and Wanker, we use the words as in "he is a tosser, or proper tosspot" if he excels in being a proper tosser then he gets to
    be a Wanker.
    This word wanker should be recognised world wide as the it would seem the entire world is becoming full of wankers.
    Australians have used the word wanker a lot due to having more wankers than mere tosspots.

I am not nocking Chris Carsons reeds, I was asking in general how long the new carbon fibre (or whatever is used) reeds last on average.
    (from what I have read on several different boat forums I would say the CCMS are rated at the no1 spot along with TDR, then boyesen coming in behind)..
    If reeds break when fitting them , then obviously they are being fitted by a "master wanker" who should not be allowed near sharp objects or tool boxes.
    How anyone can bugger up a simple job of fitting reeds is a bit beyond my mentality, I cant see how they could be fitted wrong, but there are those around who
    can surprise us with their talents to do such things.

If a set of new high tec reeds will last say 250 hours plus in normal everyday use then I think thats not too bad, I dont do racing in my little boat, just messing about in general.

When out and out racing then obviously lifespans are out the window as you never know what is going to happen or break.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To use proper English ... They are the dogs bollocks .

Cockney .. Feckking smashing bit O a kit mate .

Krakka ... Ya'all come on vacation , leave on probation ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    To use proper English ... They are the dogs bollocks .

Cockney .. Feckking smashing bit O a kit mate .

Krakka ... Ya'all come on vacation , leave on probation ...

since when would a cockney use Irish slang ? fecking is Irish, nothing at all to do with English..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So this Sheila .. err .. I mean , a friend of my wife named Sheila is a limey . Well , when we all go out she puts lime in her tea . My wife says she's Cockney , she kind of looks like the girl in the Norton commercial in Cycle magazine in the mid 70's and I just nod yup.. ahh ... ok .. yup ... cuz while she might be purrty - she don't speak a lick a English ...

Now , bout them reeds bein ... the Dogs Bollocks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I’m familiar with that girl,and I still have the Norton...
    As to the reeds life,how long do tires last...,but seriously,I have commercial guys with several hundred hours in midrange speeds,still looked perfect When we recently rebuilt a pair,changed em anyway.I would expect at least a couple hundred hours on a sport boat.
    A river tour guy in Fairbanks Ak has a fleet of jet boats with 200 Optis that run continuously in season,3 seasons without a failure,5600 all day long.
    to me thats a long time,thanks guys for the comments,Chris

6. Likes AZMIDLYF liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tire life ... hummm ... seems totally dependent on who's paying for them ..

I do recall having one set of white reeds that had suffered a bit of premature chipping . It only affected one particular hole . The reeds in the other five cylinders were pristine . Never did figure out why they chipped ...

For that one person that doesn't know .... the above is a joke ... well not the tire part

8. Likes powerabout, rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not been here lately. What I meant as break line is on some reed stops a defined point at which the read starts bending. Early 99 cid mercs had reeds with that style stop. Later Hp motora had no break line but banjo reeds bent from an undefined starp point. Don't use the wrong stops on the right reeds......or the right stops on the wrong reeds....later 115 adi have a mix of reeds and stops to trick the motors air flow. I made a set of reeds for a L6 motor back in 1975 using phenloick sheets and they were stiffer than the steel reeds. I hand filed them......times are different.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Carson's Marine View Post
    Amen to that!
    For what it's worth remember the shims are only on the long side of the cage...Chris
    I think I have a pretty good idea for the reasoning of the shims....I stumbled upon this by accident while installing my CCMS reeds.
    While looking and studying the assembled reed cages, I was wishing OMC would have used shorter fasteners that didn't protrude soooo far into the airpath. But wait, one side barely protrudes while the opposite side (short turn) does. Doesn't matter so much on the short turn side of the intake tract, as much as the long turn (which is where the shims are placed).
    I took it one step further and installed 5mm lockwashers under the reed fasteners and now they sit flush with the reed cage, no more protrusion. I seriously doubt it will make any measurable improvement in power, but it was fun and easy, so why not.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Tire life ... hummm ... seems totally dependent on who's paying for them ..

I do recall having one set of white reeds that had suffered a bit of premature chipping . It only affected one particular hole . The reeds in the other five cylinders were pristine . Never did figure out why they chipped ...

For that one person that doesn't know .... the above is a joke ... well not the tire part

So that is what a block stuffer is, don't think i need them stuffers now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce2 View Post
    So that is what a block stuffer is, don't think i need them stuffers now.
    Well, least not anymore ...
    '71 Glastron V153 - Composite rebuild - Unceremoniously wrecked
    '81 Baja 15 SS - "nine-paged" '77 140
    '81 Carlson C500 Metric - Currently in foster care
    '70 something Speedcraft - Allison 16R clone - Undergoing restoration
    '79 Carlson CVZ 19 - Far back burner
    WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stops for me are an examination of the functionality of the reed.

From pure discriptio. When plenum pressure is higher than crankcase pressure the reed opens and air flows in to the crankcase filling the area on one side of the crankshaft and connecting rod. The other side is already full ready to charge the cylinder when the bore opens.

As the crank rotates now presssure will climb higher than plenum air pressure in the crank case, close the reed and prep to stuff the cylinder.

Essentually the reed reed is an intake valve (for those who need the analogy)

reed timing is in responce time stops and such control that. Reeds that stand open to long don’t stuff the crankcase since it’s a positive pressure environment but allow back flow and reduce total volume to the cylinder.

Stronger lighter materals increase responce time to time to positive pressure letting less air out of the crankcase and open sooner to negative pressure.

While larger generally lets more in with reeds ehh someone who test would have to answer

thats basic theiry of operation ration and clues to fundamentals of diagnosis.
    '06 Tracker All-Fish/Tournament V-18 90 Optimax, 46.8 gps Goal one complete reach 45 mph.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5