Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many hrs do you think you're going to get. Throw them out and get a fresh set, run without.
    Boysen , run without check after a 100-200hrs during fall complete once over.
    Interested to compare the two stage to the different stiffness from CC.

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Had the devices in question been named "reed harmonic dampeners" almost no one would want to removed them

3. Likes David Borg, H2OPERF liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMP View Post
    How many hrs do you think you're going to get. Throw them out and get a fresh set, run without.
    Buy a new pair of shoes . Do they wear out all at once , or over time ?
    Drop 1000 one dollar bills out of an airplane 10' feet in the air . Then 100' then 1000' then 10,000'. Is there a point where they become easier to find ?

No , everything deteriorates with use / over time ....

Since I stock anything that will fit in a 3.0L and reeds that fit my custom blocks , I don't need to go to far to "get a fresh set" . Going out of my way to stretch and tear the fabric .. I'll leave that up to the "Three F's brain trust"

Run without .. ?
    Since most come with , does that mean just take the plate off and use only the screw head to hold each leaf down ...

Boysen , run without check after a 100-200hrs during fall complete once over.
    Must be in code ..
    (run without check) Gotta be a Canadian thing .. most do pay the bill , just never tip the waitress ... ehhh

(after a 100-200hrs during fall complete once over.)

Got do skint knee from fall .. ?

OK , seriously , you do a once a year complete systems check , yet give the reeds a pass without looking at them ...

Interested to compare the two stage to the different stiffness from CC.
    Will you use your flow bench , dyno or spintron ....
    Last edited by Chaz; 01-18-2018 at 09:39 AM. Reason: laughing too hard

5. Likes BUZZIN' DOZEN, AZMIDLYF, tom kennedy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Racers reed test
    Last edited by powerabout; 01-18-2018 at 06:17 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't heard from you in a while, starting to miss your humours self righteous interpretation, your clown show following shouldn't be far behind to prop you up.
    Big-time expert man that you are. How can us little minds compare to you superior understanding of all that is. If the m,m,m , manufacturer recommends no stops then you must be correct.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    We Racers reef test
    Well pow-pow , I recon I have to admit I'm not up on all the latest scientific testing methods ..

So you'll have to explain how "running aground" will determine the condition of a reed ..

BTW ... Is there an "F" anywhere in your first , last or middle name ???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the great CHAZ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well if that's your deflective answer to :

Why Canooks don't tip waitresses .........

What you do to locate the reeds when you throw away the stops .....

If you don't check the reeds after 200 hours of use , then when ....

How your knee's are healing after the fall .....

What procedure you will be using to test . Flow bench , Dyno or Spintron ....

Then Scarecrow .... here is your diploma

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stop with the silly stuff guys and get back to the reed stops, be a shame for another good post to go wonky..

My take on this is that If the stop were not needed then I am pretty sure omc would not of fitted them to all their motors for so many years.
    Imagine how much money and time could of been saved by not having to make and fit these lumps of metal.

Now I dont know about using the stops with fibre reeds , but with steel reeds they obviously done the trick.
    I dont think steel reeds would of lasted as long as they have without the stops fitted at the factory....
    Some motors have lasted 20 years or more and had tons of abuse with their metal reeds and the stops still in the motors from the day they were made..

From what I have read on numerous sites and spoken to people with fiberglass, carbon and fibre reeds, they dont seem to last the test of time like the
    OEM steel reeds with the stops in place as from factory etc..
    BUT 90% of these I have spoken to have been with aftermarket performance reeds have been running WITHOUT the OEM reed stops .

Would or could the after market reeds last a lot longer with the stops on say a average fishing motor ?
    and would or could the same be said of running the same after market reeds on a high performance motor IF the reed stops were fitted ?

for Chris Carson
    When using your reeds you say to use the stops, would you also say to use the thin metal shims as well between reeds and stops on omc reeds ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just enjoyed a good call with CCM, going to try the thick spacers and a set of reeds. I just can't say I'm going to use the stops.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am know the little shims are used on some of the crossflow cages,on the long side,I don't know why...have asked several long time omc factory guys,Either no one knows what they are all about or it's a well kept secret.Fill me in if you can,Chris

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillnjack View Post
    stop with the silly stuff guys and get back to the reed stops, be a shame for another good post to go wonky..

Hey phillin ... I'd never say Benny Hill was wonky ...
    So let me ask , would you rather let a thread go on with , hear-say , wifes tales , total non-sense statements , so far from the truth ,
    out in left field ideals that only fit their agenda ... or would you rather see someone call them out and hold them accountable for what they say .... ??????
    Now I enjoy a good fiction novel as well as the next guy , but I know what it is when I pick it up . This is a tech section , and you have seen over and over what happens when their lunacy is put to the test ... all they have is deflective or non existent response's ....

My take on this is that If the stop were not needed then I am pretty sure omc would not of fitted them to all their motors for so many years.
    Imagine how much money and time could of been saved by not having to make and fit these lumps of metal.

Now I dont know about using the stops with fibre reeds , but with steel reeds they obviously done the trick.
    I dont think steel reeds would of lasted as long as they have without the stops fitted at the factory....
    Some motors have lasted 20 years or more and had tons of abuse with their metal reeds and the stops still in the motors from the day they were made..

From what I have read on numerous sites and spoken to people with fiberglass, carbon and fibre reeds, they dont seem to last the test of time like the
    OEM steel reeds with the stops in place as from factory etc..
    BUT 90% of these I have spoken to have been with aftermarket performance reeds have been running WITHOUT the OEM reed stops .

Would or could the after market reeds last a lot longer with the stops on say a average fishing motor ?
    and would or could the same be said of running the same after market reeds on a high performance motor IF the reed stops were fitted ?

for Chris Carson
    When using your reeds you say to use the stops, would you also say to use the thin metal shims as well between reeds and stops on omc reeds ?
    Honest question's and statements deserve the same respectful responses ...
    You have pretty much hit the nail on the head . The steel reed goes back to a paper clip . Don't take long to break it when it is bent to an extreme angle over a short span . Yet limited to working just far enough to hold a small stack of papers together .. well It will provide a long service life ..
    Fiber .. or is that fibre .. Mercury Racing took the "Harmonic Damper" off of the carbon reeds and just put a small flat strip across the reed behind the hinge point . Street mentality becomes , if it works for carbon reeds on short run racing units , it's gotta be even better on everything from weed whackers to lake outboards , no matter how much common sense logic is piled up against it ...

Anytime a part such as a stationary radius plate is shimmed away from a moving part it's meant to control .. they are providing a little wiggle room for tolerance stacking . The reed gets a little autonomy and the parts as a whole don't need to be held to such a tight tolerance .

FMP
    Just enjoyed a good call with CCM, going to try the thick spacers and a set of reeds. I just can't say I'm going to use the stops.
    I see that diploma I gave you is starting to work a little ....

15. Likes rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Mercury 2.0 2.4 V6 motors That I have built came without these. Are there aftermarket stops available?
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [I
    Chris Carson's Marine;3015165]I am know the little shims are used on some of the crossflow cages,on the long side,I don't know why...have asked several long time omc factory guys,Either no one knows what they are all about or it's a well kept secret.Fill me in if you can,Chris[/I]

I Have an idea about the omc shims between reeds & the stops ( I could be totally off on this , but its my thought only ).

With the reeds being stainless & the stops being just a mild steel there could be a corrosion or reaction problem if the two metals
    were in constant contact all the time. ?
    in an ideal world there will always be a slight film of oil on the reeds and stoppers & shims all the time, but sometimes they can be very dry.
    reeds I just took out today are bone dry ?
    dry steel in contact with dry stainless in a damp environment = RUST leading to reeds possibly sticking to the stoppers ?????.
    so maybe the tiny little thin stainless shim helps with this, Plus maybe give the reeds a bit more chance to curve when open ?

(I did say its just my thought on the shims, I am ready for this to be shot down, as most of my common sense idea's are normally wrong )

If fitting composite /fibre/glass reeds maybe the shims could or should be taken out ? no idea on that. this would be more down to the
    designers of the reeds to find out what is best for their particular product, this involves R&D (testing) .....

p.s
    my opinion on testing any product is.
    All R&D results good/bad should only be told & or shown to those supplying the product for the testing.. that is what R&D is all about
    anything other than this can be considered industrial espionage )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillnjack View Post
    I Have an idea about the omc shims between reeds & the stops ( I could be totally off on this , but its my thought only ).

With the reeds being stainless & the stops being just a mild steel there could be a corrosion or reaction problem if the two metals
    were in constant contact all the time. ?
    in an ideal world there will always be a slight film of oil on the reeds and stoppers & shims all the time, but sometimes they can be very dry.
    reeds I just took out today are bone dry ?
    dry steel in contact with dry stainless in a damp environment = RUST leading to reeds possibly sticking to the stoppers ?????.
    so maybe the tiny little thin stainless shim helps with this, Plus maybe give the reeds a bit more chance to curve when open ?

(I did say its just my thought on the shims, I am ready for this to be shot down, as most of my common sense idea's are normally wrong )

If fitting composite /fibre/glass reeds maybe the shims could or should be taken out ? no idea on that. this would be more down to the
    designers of the reeds to find out what is best for their particular product, this involves R&D (testing) .....

p.s
    my opinion on testing any product is.
    All R&D results good/bad should only be told & or shown to those supplying the product for the testing.. that is what R&D is all about
    anything other than this can be considered industrial espionage )
    Amen to that!
    For what it's worth remember the shims are only on the long side of the cage...Chris

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast