User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    dunno why you would ever consider any salt water garbage. we've got it made up here, just need to keep peeking in corners.
    Agreed but, these checked all the box's.
    Stored on a lift, flushed everytime, new p.heads in 13/14, dealer maintained w/an open ck book.

Theyre at the builder of the owners boat. They removed them to repower w/Verados and they ruined them by how they stored them. I had a KILLER deal going.

Problem in our area is finding a pair and/or 25" motors.

By me, all the bigger motors are 20" bassers.
    Around Lake Erie there are 25's but singles.

Larger center consoles became popular up there 10 yrs ago but almost all are 4 Stroke Yammis.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Problem in our area is finding a pair and/or 25" motors.

Around Lake Erie there are 25's but singles."

Gator, you sure you need 25" motors? I ran 20" motors on my 30' CM w- no problems. But I did have sportmasters and a ton of setback.

Cheers-

3. Thanks Instigator thanked for this post
    Likes Instigator liked this post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SCT View Post
    "Problem in our area is finding a pair and/or 25" motors.

Around Lake Erie there are 25's but singles."

Gator, you sure you need 25" motors? I ran 20" motors on my 30' CM w- no problems. But I did have sportmasters and a ton of setback.

Cheers-
    Shannon I could do either but prefer 25's for a couple of reasons.

My first Sonic came w/20's and I repowered w/25's and never looked back.

W/an integral platform and 20's, the platform would be right at the water line and under w/anyone on it.

I also like my powerheads up in the air on display so all the I/O guys know what it is.
    W/the boat at dock, and 20's on it, you have to get close to the boat to see its an O/B.

W/25's you can tell from the tiki bar, and know it has attitude
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

5. Likes Dave Strong, SCT liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Afternoon G ...

Hey , I know where there are a really nice pair of MERCURY ....

Just kiddin , I needed a good laugh before headin back to the salt mine ...

7. Likes Instigator liked this post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Afternoon G ...

Hey , I know where there are a really nice pair of MERCURY ....

Just kiddin , I needed a good laugh before headin back to the salt mine ...
    You funny

Acccccttttuuuuuaaaallllly, I was really liking (most of) what I saw of the XS's until some of my Merc owning friends talked me out of them

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't follow it , only because I don't have the room for any more treasure.
    But I saw over on the bullet where they were filling Royal Purple ( Houston ) Raceway after Harvey . Homestead / Miami after Irma etc .
    A lot of it gets bought by weight , crushed and recycled . Where you and I would go , Ohh - ohh look at that brand new harness ... they look at it as a half a pound of copper .. ( If the brand new ones even use copper any more )

My dad thought all of this was foolish . cars , boats , motorcycles . He stood in line as a kid during the crash of 1929 , so I understand . But when he bought something , he always bought everything new .
    My kid and my daughter in law just bought a brand new soccer mom Honda mini van . I didn't ask how much they paid for it , or how much a month or any of that stuff .
    I thought to myself , they could have kept what they had , painted it , new rubber , hoses ,belts ... got a pick up I showed him , plunked a FREE 5.3 LS in it from a guy he's known his whole life , and they would both been riding . But instead I said ... That's really nice son . Which it is , it's just not me .
    At our age , we should be of the mind set where we just walk into the dealer and buy two new ones and enjoy them with whatever time we have left on this earth . No matter how "brand loyal" any of us are , they have all priced themselves to the point where many say " The only motor I would ever run is a ... How much you want for that POS ? "
    I even hear that if you drop the boat off , they will bolt the motor's on for ya ..
    Since none of the above would be applicable , Kevin is right . Buy up a half a dozen clunkers out of Mi-hami on the cheap . Sift thru the pile like the junk yard dogs we are ... Paint + Freshen + Machine em up better than new look's and tolerances . Plenty peeps here that will be behind your every move ..

10. Likes BarryStrawn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't follow it , only because I don't have the room for any more treasure.
    But I saw over on the bullet where they were filling Royal Purple ( Houston ) Raceway after Harvey . Homestead / Miami after Irma etc .
    A lot of it gets bought by weight , crushed and recycled . Where you and I would go , Ohh - ohh look at that brand new harness ... they look at it as a half a pound of copper .. ( If the brand new ones even use copper any more )

My dad thought all of this was foolish . cars , boats , motorcycles . He stood in line as a kid during the crash of 1929 , so I understand . But when he bought something , he always bought everything new .
    My kid and my daughter in law just bought a brand new soccer mom Honda mini van . I didn't ask how much they paid for it , or how much a month or any of that stuff .
    I thought to myself , they could have kept what they had , painted it , new rubber , hoses ,belts ... got a pick up I showed him , plunked a FREE 5.3 LS in it from a guy he's known his whole life , and they would both been riding . But instead I said ... That's really nice son . Which it is , it's just not me .
    At our age , we should be of the mind set where we just walk into the dealer and buy two new ones and enjoy them with whatever time we have left on this earth . No matter how "brand loyal" any of us are , they have all priced themselves to the point where many say " The only motor I would ever run is a ... How much you want for that POS ? "
    I even hear that if you drop the boat off , they will bolt the motor's on for ya ..
    Since none of the above would be applicable , Kevin is right . Buy up a half a dozen clunkers out of Mi-hami on the cheap . Sift thru the pile like the junk yard dogs we are ... Paint + Freshen + Machine em up better than new look's and tolerances . Plenty peeps here that will be behind your every move ..

I'd keep an eye on municipality auctions up here, dnr, fire,police,ice,boarder patrol etc. F*** saltwater. Customer got a pair of 2008 250s out of Wisconsin for 8500.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Chaz, agreed.
    I was buying complete, donor V-6 loopers off a scrap pile by you for .30c a lb.

Insaneo, I do.

Im on a pair of '2011 250's from an individual for $13k.
    Orig owner, all paperwork.

13. Likes Dave Strong, Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought to myself , they could have kept what they had , painted it , new rubber , hoses ,belts ... got a pick up I showed him , plunked a FREE 5.3 LS in it from a guy he's known his whole life , and they would both been riding

Uhhm. Not sure that is a relevant comparison to a 500 hp lake boat...

I think Gary's case is more like "A boring Honda minivan will cost me $50,000. For that kind of money, I can get two used AMG Mercs."
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stop whinnning and buy the V8s

16. Likes Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    [/LEFT]

Uhhm. Not sure that is a relevant comparison to a 500 hp lake boat...

I think Gary's case is more like "A boring Honda minivan will cost me $50,000. For that kind of money, I can get two used AMG Mercs."
    Well Marcus , I'll try to explain it to ya ..

Lets say Gary and the Mrs. had a kid and had no idea how the kid got there . It would be a pretty good bet that the time would come that they would need those two used AMG Mercs .. maybe even a bus or two . See , it's a capacity thing . In my sons case , two licensed drivers , one vehicle ... förstå

Yeapp .. they gotz a couple little lakes they run around on up there ..

So lets look @ the options so far :

A pair of 7 year old motors for $13,000.00 I don't know if they gotz another 100,000,000 miles left on their wty .. or if that was over 2 mango seasons ago . Them things might go another 7 years with no issues .. or the injectors and flywheels might start poppin parts loose tomorrow . Buyin used and 3K American over planned budget ..... capisci'

A pair of Loopers that the Capt want to have *** well never mind ..
    ( He's right though , people send me stuff that's only a few years old that you'd swear was from WW1 )
    And I have a guy in Kentucky that I trade mid section parts for labor . I don't even open the box till I need what I know is in there . Always pristine stuff from him .

Unless it's total junk or people just want it out of their yard ... 500 lbs / .30c $150.00 x 2 = $300.00 for lowers , mids , clamps , cowls , harnesses , block's or at least one to work with .. Honestly .. if he got a lower unit from one and a clamp from another .. to me , he would be money ahead ... comprendre

So just as if the kid had kept the old soccer mom van (hers) and spent $2000.00 on it and a full weeks labor . Make it two weeks and 3K to make it nice and have a rental in the mean time .They would have had safe reliable transportation for her and according to your numbers ... $47,000.00 worth of payments to do something else with .
    How does that relate to Gary's dilemma ?
    I would imagine BRP made lots of them 250's in 25" Standard and So.Paw rotation. I still tend to agree with Kevin , buy one here , one there , three more for spares . Build two really good ones . A so-so back up out of second effort ...err .. (sorry couldn't help myself ) second pickings .. for just in case ... and put the $1000 - $2000 left over in the vacation fund ... But I see by looking at your hat , your a baller like my kid , I could never expect you to ...... 理解します。

18. Likes specboatops liked this post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Stop whinnning and buy the V8s
    Bla ha ha!

Trust me, I've considered it.

Just not feeling it though. Here's where my head is.

Owned two twin O/B 24' Sonics.

Sonic A:

Two hot rod V-6 loopers. Good heads, big carbs, velocity stacks, open exhaust and wing plates/tie bars.
    That boat spent most of its life on Lake Erie so we had trips of 30+ mls each way. Listening to two of those motors drone on...., is have to stop to hear the ship to shore when cruising w/another boat.
    Couldnt listen to stereo, carry on conversation w/passenger etc.

Sonic B:

Identical set up and power but stock motors.
    I also put wind deflectors on windshield of that boat.

They were both fun to drive fast but, at 45 - 50 the hull frees up and the motors are just singing!
    Turn on some boat music, interact/enjoy your company, point out things of interest, relax, drive w/one hand as you watch the ramp disappear behind you as you search for and finally see your destination appear on the horizon.
    In my world......, it just don't get much better than that.

Also to weight. I am very concerned w/adding 150+ lbs to a hull 6" narrower to the Sonics even though the V/6 E-techs are nearly same weight but physically smaller and shorter.
    Last edited by Instigator; 01-28-2018 at 07:38 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well Marcus , I'll try to explain it to ya ..

Lets say Gary and the Mrs. had a kid and had no idea how the kid got there . It would be a pretty good bet that the time would come that they would need those two used AMG Mercs .. maybe even a bus or two . See , it's a capacity thing . In my sons case , two licensed drivers , one vehicle ... förstå

So lets look @ the options so far :

A pair of 7 year old motors for $13,000.00 I don't know if they gotz another 100,000,000 miles left on their wty .. or if that was over 2 mango seasons ago . Them things might go another 7 years with no issues .. or the injectors and flywheels might start poppin parts loose tomorrow . Buyin used and 3K American over planned budget ..... capisci'

A pair of Loopers that the Capt want to have *** well never mind ..
    ( He's right though , people send me stuff that's only a few years old that you'd swear was from WW1 )
    And I have a guy in Kentucky that I trade mid section parts for labor . I don't even open the box till I need what I know is in there . Always pristine stuff from him .

Unless it's total junk or people just want it out of their yard ... 500 lbs / .30c $150.00 x 2 = $300.00 for lowers , mids , clamps , cowls , harnesses , block's or at least one to work with .. Honestly .. if he got a lower unit from one and a clamp from another .. to me , he would be money ahead ... comprendre

So just as if the kid had kept the old soccer mom van (hers) and spent $2000.00 on it and a full weeks labor . Make it two weeks and 3K to make it nice and have a rental in the mean time .They would have had safe reliable transportation for her and according to your numbers ... $47,000.00 worth of payments to do something else with .
    How does that relate to Gary's dilemma ?
    I would imagine BRP made lots of them 250's in 25" Standard and So.Paw rotation. I still tend to agree with Kevin , buy one here , one there , three more for spares . Build two really good ones . A so-so back up out of second effort ...err .. (sorry couldn't help myself ) second pickings .. for just in case ... and put the $1000 - $2000 left over in the vacation fund ... But I see by looking at your hat , your a baller like my kid , I could never expect you to ...... 理解します。
    Read this twice and my head hurts��

Marcus, the only way I trust my junk, to drive it the way I like, questionable conditions, to locations such as across Lake Erie, into Canada very expensive and time consuming to get home from if problems surface, and responsible for those aboard ( HUGE responsibility in this type boating), is w/new (can't afford and don't want) or motors I built.

Like Chaz, I too like Kevin's theory.
    My issues w/that are:

I did that w/the Sonic in Fla and it just about broke me and I don't mean financially.
    Granted, I built those motors from spare parts so what did I expect?
    But I also did a complete restoration on the hull at the same time. It was outside in the Fla heat.... , but took 2 yrs before I trusted that boat.

Currently my plan is, two running E-tecs, as big and new as I can find/afford to get me on the water faster. The I/O to O/B conversion will be a fairly intense project on its own so don't want to build two motors too.
    Now anyhow.

Then build a spare drop on powerhead for backup.

Realistically, the way I like to run that style boat, I'll end up going through both motors during an off season and applying all tricks I can learn in mean time.

Anyone w/better ideas, please send your contributions to:

Onebrokedickboater

#1 Fantasy lane
    lala land, US of A!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They do. But it is not like they have to. That's why we are talking toys here. So it comes to how you spend your toy budget.

A Honda minivan is too boring to meet the toy threshold. A Mercedes-AMG is not.

But I see by looking at your hat , your a baller like my kid , I could never expect you to ...... 理解します。
    Charlie, I have not bought a new car in my entire life, and I may never do.

You see, when you are 16 hours of air travel from Diamond Marine, and want to keep a 2.5 260 running, you have to learn how to diagnose and fix your stuff. Mechanics, electronics, you name it.

Compared to a used car, a new car is a very expensive way to reduce the risk of having to diagnose and repair the car. I would rather spend the money on a more fun car.

The closest I have been to owning a Honda minivan is borrowing the neighbor's Honda lawnmower when the pull cord broke on the mower I put together from a $50 used mower and a free mower from the garbage dump.
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sensei Chaz you crack me up ....comprende !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast