Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    Dunno why you would want to go through all that. The 2.0 f1 is a full out race motor, They need a lot of compression, high octane fuel, really good oil, lots of rpm to run. If you have a 2.4 block have James Perry put steel mod vp sleeves in it with some tubes and the other neat little stuff he does. Set it up to run on 135-140 psi. It would take a lot of work to try and make a fishing block 2 liter make an honest 250 hp.
    I agree and thanks! It can be done but would not be worth the cost. I just wrote the program for some experimental sleeves and just got through cutting a set for a XR4 I am building for the race team that I sponsor in COR racing. I am trying some stuff using what I have learned from 260's and 300 drags as bigger is not always better. I have a true 2.4 mod VP that I have built and this one and will see if the new sleeves are bettor or worse. I would really suggest using a fat block 2.4 to get those kind of numbers with the "behind the liner" tubes that I do with some of the new sleeves (if they work!).
    James Perry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patchesII View Post
    Probably not gonna happen
    T-rex used to hurt a lot of 2.5L feelings with a 2L...just saying
    James Perry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the great info I didn't know this thread was Goin turn into all this ... I love learning as much as I can..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post

A better question is why wont a 2.4 turn over about 8500, but I’m sure porting isnthebanswer there
    Porting is probably the answer. I am working on that! I have tried many port maps on 2.5's and finding out some very interesting facts on port shapes and sizes effect the engines rpm range. I done 2 engines when I first started making sleeves and used a 2.5 200 program and raised the roof of the ports to 260 specs and left the lower portion in the same place which made for very large transfers, booster and finger ports. Both engines done good up to 6500. 1 struggled to pull 7k and the other wouldn't go past 6500. They would have turned more if a small prop were used. I then wrote a new program using the same port timing (roof) but changed the shape/sizes (everything else) of my ports. Look at how small the transfer ports are in a STOCK 260 and 300 drag. They are smaller that a 200 fishing engine that isn't meant to turn high rpms. I redone both engines and the one that struggled to pull 7K now has 2 hours on the new sleeves and the first time he stabbed it for a short burst, it turned 7800 and hit 100 mph and was still pulling when he let off. He stated there is a night and day difference all around in performance. Amazing from simply going to smaller ports. The other one is sitting on a stand. The 2.4 has very large transfer ports like the sleeves I initially done for these 2 2.5L and honestly it is probably larger. I am trying the new shape/size so we can take advantage of a 100 lb weight break in a class in the Parka Enduro running a 2.4 instead of the 2.5.

To better understand. Take a deep breath and hold your mouth wide open and place your hand 6" in front of your mouth. Expel hard and feel the velocity you produce. Now do the same thing holding your mouth like you are whistling. Feel the difference? You didn't produce any more pressure you just used it better. The crankcase pressure remains the same as well in the engine. The large ports don't have the velocity the small ports do and can't transfer the fuel fast enough at higher rpms which limits it capabilities. Also the exhaust flowing out of the block creates a siphoning effect and aids in drawing the fuel in and the smaller ports also act like a venturi in a carburetor and speeds up the charge in. These are just my thoughts and experiences on the subject and only testing will tell me if I am in left field on this.

STOCK 2.4 150 XR4 sleeve and My new sleeve. See the difference in the transfer port.....open mouth versus whistling.....

Last edited by wrechin2; 01-13-2018 at 08:01 PM.
    James Perry

6. Likes FORBESAUTO, powerabout, 90 5.0 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrechin2 View Post
    Porting is probably the answer. I am working on that! I have tried many port maps on 2.5's and finding out some very interesting facts on port shapes and sizes effect the engines rpm range. I done 2 engines when I first started making sleeves and used a 2.5 200 program and raised the roof of the ports to 260 specs and left the lower portion in the same place which made for very large transfers, booster and finger ports. Both engines done good up to 6500. 1 struggled to pull 7k and the other wouldn't go past 6500. They would have turned more if a small prop were used. I then wrote a new program using the same port timing (roof) but changed the shape/sizes (everything else) of my ports. Look at how small the transfer ports are in a STOCK 260 and 300 drag. They are smaller that a 200 fishing engine that isn't meant to turn high rpms. I redone both engines and the one that struggled to pull 7K now has 2 hours on the new sleeves and the first time he stabbed it for a short burst, it turned 7800 and hit 100 mph and was still pulling when he let off. He stated there is a night and day difference all around in performance. Amazing from simply going to smaller ports. The other one is sitting on a stand. The 2.4 has very large transfer ports like the sleeves I initially done for these 2 2.5L and honestly it is probably larger. I am trying the new shape/size so we can take advantage of a 100 lb weight break in a class in the Parka Enduro running a 2.4 instead of the 2.5.

To better understand. Take a deep breath and hold your mouth wide open and place your hand 6" in front of your mouth. Expel hard and feel the velocity you produce. Now do the same thing holding your mouth like you are whistling. Feel the difference? You didn't produce any more pressure you just used it better. The crankcase pressure remains the same as well in the engine. The large ports don't have the velocity the small ports do and can't transfer the fuel fast enough at higher rpms which limits it capabilities. Also the exhaust flowing out of the block creates a siphoning effect and aids in drawing the fuel in and the smaller ports also act like a venturi in a carburetor and speeds up the charge in. These are just my thoughts and experiences on the subject and only testing will tell me if I am in left field on this.

STOCK 2.4 150 XR4 sleeve and My new sleeve. See the difference in the transfer port.....open mouth versus whistling.....

Good luck with that and sounds like you are on the right track, in small ci car race motors we did some similar testing on porting(302-310ci ) and found that closing down some of the port map intake side and opening on exhaust roof but not floor worked a lot better than the port maps from our 351-400ci engines

i tried the same thing last season because my boat was light and the 100lb weight break meant I didn’t need to add a ton of weight in the boat like I would have with a 2.5.

Came out of the hole hard but got drug on the big end every time. But these were stock ported engines.

Also mainly did it because I didn’t have a legal 2.5 yet, will try it again in the beginning of the season but we have a 2.5 getting priced together also.

When the 2.4’s were competitive they had a 150lb weight break.

I’d be very interested to see how it comes together for y’all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be interesting as I am comparing it to a known performance engine with the Mod VP which isn't stock because I made the chest look like a 260 block and opened the exit. I have found this improves a lot but can hinder if gone overboard. I do this to my 2L we run in COR as well which helps flow. I would hate to do all this completely by hand! #6 port has to be done by hand as it is under the bridge. A lot of stuff that would need to be done to make this 2L a screamer would take a lot of time.

Last edited by wrechin2; 01-14-2018 at 11:10 AM.
    James Perry

9. Thanks Keaten, wolfgangb thanked for this post
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7