Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manual link is dead?

Over the next couple weeks I was planning on doing some routine maintenance on my engine like removing and greasing the bearing carrier on the LU, removing the PT&T unit to deal with a corrosion issue and checking some wiring diagrams.

The link I had for "boatinfo.no" is now dead. Is there any other resource for online manuals? This is for a 2005 Merc 60 ELPTO.

2001 15' Stumpnocker 5 (deep v)
    2005 Mercury 60

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    apart from the wiring the rest is very simple and you can definitely do it without a manual.

I used to have the boat info site but to be honest I found so many flaws in their descriptions and settings.
    according to them my engine capacity is not what omc says it, the timing is different and the power trim is very different.

so maybe boat info was not as good as some might think..

a proper mercury service manual will be the ideal thing, but I am sure most folk here will help you with whatever you need to know.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. So, a few months ago I replaced the water pump and greased everything so the LU would come off easier next time. When I removed the LU last time, I had to use wedges and a hammer to separate it from the mid. So, because I just had the LU off, I would like to remove the carrier without removing the LU.

I have had them out plenty times on other outboards, but some are a little different. This one looks a lot like the Tohatsu 4 stroke I used to own. I just remove those 2 bolts and it slides out of there, right? If it's not corroded in there of course...

I would also like the have the seals ready to go ahead of time. Looks like just a large o-ring on the inner part of the carrier and 2 lip seals on the prop shaft?

This is the 1:64 gearcase, NOT the Big Foot.

2005 Mercury 60

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there ya go, you aslready know how to do the jobs abd already know that sometimes things can be a lot harder than it says in the books

too many people dont realise when you see people doing it in the book, its being done on a brand new motor where everything comes undo perfectly easy.

I drop my lower unit about 4 times a year, not always completely just a couple of inches sometimes , I would say on average I grease the shaft 3 times a year.
    I have seen stuck drive shafts and spent 2 weeks trying to free a friends lower unit, ut never did come off. shaft welded itself to crank.

the bearing carrier on your motor , I think is exactly like you describe

this might be some help if it comes through

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/me...shaft-50-55-60

/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you again! Same here. I drop mine "at least" 3 times or so a year. That way, they always come off easy and sometimes you catch something before it goes bad. I have been in the same situation helping other people with rusted corroded crap. Some of that stuff C4 could not blow apart once its rusted together.

So, yea... Wow! That is almost exactly like the Tohatsu! I'm not understanding why those lip seals are so expensive! They must have gold plated springs in there or something! The o-ring is only $2. But, those stupid lip seals are $14 each!! Damn... It is, what it is...

I managed to put some POR 15 around the top of the trim motor with out removing it. So, no need to remove the trim unit. It was just starting to rust around the top of the rim. So, I coated it around the rim and tried to force some into the crack.

2005 Mercury 60

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could go to hydraulic shop and get seals of same size much cheaper, and get good quality too !!!! dont have to be the merc ones if you can get the exact size.
    dont know if they have any numbers on them ?