Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ODBA Super Stock motor

OK guys, I've heard from a reliable sourse that the two fastest boats in Modified Production were two Super Stock motors, Randy MaCormick & Mike Watts......Randy the first round, & heard Mike Watts was dominant the second round untill he ran out of gas.........
    #1 racefan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Modified Production

Randy dominated first round in Modified, Mike showed the way in 2nd round Modified... Todd McCormick drove the McQ-master in S/S but handling problems kept him out of the money...

Randy showed how it was supposed to be done....

DAB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, thats pretty much exactly what i was told.....
    #1 racefan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile let's open a can of worms..

Mike... those were NOT Super Stock engines.... they were Merc Drag engines that were intended for use in Modified Production Classes and above... ODBA (and I sat there and let it happen, so I'm to blame also) allowed those engines in S/S to appease the Mercury boyz...it was a BIG mistake. We're trying to correct it slowly, but have you seen how much flack we're taking?

Our Super Stock class has evolved into something that was never intended....

We'll get it straightened out, but it may take a few seasons...

btw... Congrats to Mike Watts, Randy Mc, and Darrin Baxter on outstanding jobs in the prospective classes... Wish CJ had been there to get in the mix too...those ODBA boyz ROCK!

David Berry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watts Motor

Mike ,

I can't speak for Randy but Watts' motor was a legal Super Stock motor minus heads and a JSRE flywheel , I know cause I built it ! I am not about to get tangled up in the politics of the ODBA and thier multi changing rules BUT as of last year Mike 's motor was legal for S.S. and it hasn't been touched ( except for the heads and flywheel ) what was and is the intention of the class called Super Stock has reduced the class from a normal 12 to 14 boat class to 4 ......

Nuff said !
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool David

My ol'DR20 is running pretty good we'll see how it shakes out in
    Wetumka. Missed the show last weekend I've been having terrble withdrawals.
    C.J. Davis
    TRIAD POWERBOATS DR-20

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation It was Our Mistake

Our mistake was ever allowing an engine intended for Mod Pro into a stock engine class.... that's what reduced the participation... most S/S racers can't compete with the likes of Watts/CJ/Kleckler/Freeman/Platt or Darrin Baxter... they're too tough & talented for the average boat racer to run against...give 'em a Drag engine and those guys are virtually unbeatable... Now who in their right mind is gonna try and compete against those odds.... but hey, we have that same problem in every class we have. ODBA racers are the cream of the crop when it comes to outboard drag... and NOBODY does better than ODBA... period.

David Berry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David,

You are one hell of a man. But, that post is weak. The best are the best are wherever they are and whomever they are. If everyone thought like this or actually believed this, no one would compete. The furture of our sport is new blood. The young guns are the potentials. Without them our sport cannot survive, and we need them. The old pros, and they are, will eventually ride off into the sun. And to think that someone cannot come along and get around them at some point is fantasy. Your earlier post about ODBA getting it right eventually is probably correct, but at who's expense in 2003?

Sincerely,
    Ted March

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And we have a winner !

GIVE THAT MAN A CIGAR !
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jay,

Hate cigars.

This deal is tough. What a shame.
    Last edited by Ted March; 04-30-2003 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Superstock and the Drag engine

I was not involved in the decision to allow the Drag engine into Superstock. But looking at it with hindsight, I do not see a better choice. The 260 cannot be purchased as a complete engine - cowl to gearcase. The 280 cannot compete with the 260 with the stock rpm limited ignition and the "X" engines are out of the question as drag racing engines. The Drag engine seems like the best choice I can see. We are forced to make the rules around the engines that our members own, and what the manufacturers are offering the consumer.

But all of this is irrelevent....the Drag engine is in the class. Now what must be done is to set the rules to allow FAIR competition. After seeing the times run by the Baxter Racing Team last weekend, I am convinced that the most recent rules are heading in that direction.

If the ODBA is heading in a direction that you think is a bad move..... Pay your membership fee and voice your opinion to one of the members of the rules committee or the board of directors. I will ALWAYS be willing to listen - but not on a public forum. My e-mail and phone number are on the ODBA web site.

I joined the ODBA as a racing member in 2001 because I could not find this quality of racing, or of membership, anywhere else. This season, I find myself one of the VP's and in the process of growing a sport I love from a hobby to a spectator sport. The ONLY way this can happen is with well thought out input from its members and its spectators.

I WANT your 2 cents - you might get a dime in return.
    Disclaimer: Everything I post is just my .02, and should be take only as opinion. These opinions tend to be notoriously WRONG, and any that are correct, can only be attributed to my being dropped on my head as a small child - repeatedly.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    "Pay your membership fee and voice your opinion to one of the members of the rules committee or the board of directors. I will ALWAYS be willing to listen - but not on a public forum."

So does this mean that spectators who should and could be the backbone of the sport if it's to grow don't have the right to an opinion? If this sport is to grow, or even continue for that matter, the opinions of people who watch must certainly have some value to somebody. Otherwise, it just becomes a pay and play game with no real upside potential.

I don't disagree with what you posted above about the SS rules, based on the availability of engines by the manufacturer. Also, in reality I don't have the knowledge of the specifics of the potential of the two engines to have a strong opinion. I have had in the past, and still do for that matter, some strong opinions on the rules in the Pro120, or whatever it's called now. I think that sometimes, people on the outside looking in, might have a less biased opinion than those that are participating and already have thier equipment lined up and/or payed for.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raceman

I stand by what I said.

I will listen to our members and our spectators - that is one of the duties I took on this year - instead of just racing. A public forum such as this one (a great one by the way Greg), is not the place to take all of the ranting and raving that we all know can happen - I wont lay this on the lap of those who maintain this board.

If someone - such as yourself- has something to say that could influence the ODBA - for good or bad - LET US KNOW! My biggest complaint with our organization is that there has not been a place for the spectator to give input. For this year, the buck stops here.

As for paying your membership - DEFINATELY - we race for gas money. Each person that joins the ODBA is money we have towards a better show. Maybe even towards the timing system that we really need.
    Disclaimer: Everything I post is just my .02, and should be take only as opinion. These opinions tend to be notoriously WRONG, and any that are correct, can only be attributed to my being dropped on my head as a small child - repeatedly.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better yet....

Raceman,

Instead of becoming a member, I would rather see someone like you (with your experience) help us to put on a race in your area of Ga. I am trying to put together the 2004 schedule by the time we race in Plymouth, NC. Help us bring the ODBA to your home.

come on..... I dare ya!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Actually Wayne, it's something I've wanted to do for a long time and I think the facility here would be exceptional. There's a county owned lake/recreation area with approx 2500 acres of lake. Within site of the best area for a race area are two parks with about 8 or 10 boat ramps each and paved parking, camping, etc. It's similar to Jasper with much more paving and several times the size. There's also an excellent resturant on the water with motels within 3 or 4 miles. It's within 2 or 3 miles of the interstate also.

As a boat racer in the 70's I, along with a couple of friends talked to the county commission about a boat race. We got a cold shoulder. Times have changed and the members at the time are long gone. There was some preliminary interest last year in doing a race with the guy who has a reputation of stiffing the racers and race site. (I can't recall his name) The director of the park had already tentatively approved the event and a few local sponsors had been lined up. This individual was representing himself to the powers that be here of putting on an AOF sanctioned event, but he got the whistle blown on him and when a call was arranged to the director of AOF, the director became convinced that he was being mislead (which he was) and the event fell apart.

Because of access, proximity and facility, I think there could be an unbelievable event here. The PWC racing association had a tour type event at the same facility for several years, but their deal required a larger number of spectators than they were able to support. In that ODBA events don't seem to require huge spectator turnout (at least it seems that way to me looking on the surface) I think this area would support it, even though the high perf boating population is somewhat limited. There's even a local boat club (low performance) who has many volunteers who do usher type work at local events at the civic center to raise money for the club. The club is generally paid minimum wage for the volunteers time and many are experienced in this type activity.

I think there are possibilities here and can put some people in touch with the park director and would participate myself also if needed, although it seems like the ODBA is a pretty well run, self contained package as far as organization is concerned.

So let's talk about it further'.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast