Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good source for understanding all the different Mercs. XS, Promax etc.

Can anyone point me in a direction to gain some knowledge on the various Merc 2 stroke engines. I'm thinking of buying a hull and want to figure out what I'd be looking for in an engine. I would want something high performance with a LWP, torque tab etc.

Hoping to find a website or thread that explains the different engines. Weights, RPM ranges etc. Carb or EFI etc.

Thanks for any guidance.

2. Thanks Tango thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lots of good info on here as well as very knowledgeable people, tricky part is sorting through the b.s. that abounds on here(and many other sites)where are you in NC?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.google.com will be able to help you find out anything you need to know

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter91 View Post
    lots of good info on here as well as very knowledgeable people, tricky part is sorting through the b.s. that abounds on here(and many other sites)where are you in NC?
    I've searched around S&F and found several threads that get into details about specific motors but haven't had any luck finding a listing with model years, carb, efi, x, xs Promax etc, 2.4, 2.5, 3.0 liter. What years were each offered, what hp ratings were offered, some more for high performance applications and some for general use? I've read about some of the different fuel injections types and the oiling system changing etc but don't have a good understanding of the overall models and which were made when and what the primary differences were.

Quote Originally Posted by Charger20sv View Post
    www.google.com will be able to help you find out anything you need to know
    Believe it or not, I've heard of Google. I end up on the same few youtube videos about Optimax vs XS and the Wikipedia listing for Mercury Marine which is pretty much silent on large 2 strokes from the 1980 to now. Tried several different search phrases and just not finding what I'm looking for.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im kinda in the same boat. Im in the process of recore/transom/floor/everything on an old stream and trying to learn motors. I come from an automotive background. I cant believe the most popular engines(2 stroke v6) for cool small fast boats doesnt have a good info source, or basic guide.
    Ive been reading for years and still would feel like im going out on a limb making a motor choice on the used market, in my cheap ass price range.

Some example questions about mercury tech from a nob:

Ive read that the factory manual is not the end all of instruction on a rebuild. There are some other details that should be taken. Would it be totally top secret stuff here? Is it some simple little step(s) that could make your rebuild more reliable?

Are there certain years in the early 90's that are odd balls and possiblly hard to get parts for?

What Merc v6 years/models are the best foundations for performance, or reliability/rebuild in the 2.0, 2.4, 2.5 displacements?

What all could be torn off a say 1988 xr2 150 to save wieght and be more reliable. Ive read snippets of info that timing boxes, oil injection, ect can all be ditched. How much weight can be shaved?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter91 View Post
    where are you in NC?
    I'm in the Raleigh area. I run my boat primarily at Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by crawl View Post
    Im kinda in the same boat. Im in the process of recore/transom/floor/everything on an old stream and trying to learn motors. I come from an automotive background. I cant believe the most popular engines(2 stroke v6) for cool small fast boats doesnt have a good info source, or basic guide.
    Yep, I'm with you. There has to be a listing such as

1980-1992 2.0 liter 2 stroke offered in 150,175,200 carbed
    1993-1999 2.5 liter 2 stroke .....
    2000-2007 3 liter 2 stroke offered as Promax for high performance applications, Optimax for regular use.

I'm making stuff up here obviously. An accurate list of years, models and key differences would be great.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was born in Durham, grew up in all three points of the triangle, fished Jordan, Falls, and Kerr with my pop. I'm just west of Charlotte now, got a pile of fishin' motor parts,2.4 and 2.5 ,laser EFI stuff,not much hi po stuff. I'm currently finishing up a Gambler bass boat i've been working on for the last year and a half. I spent about 4 years collecting all the parts to build a 225 promax "copy", got most all the parts from members on here. I'd be happy to help you out if you need anything, i gotta thin a bunch of this stuff out! depends on what hull your using and budget to help decide on a good starting point for your foray into this hobby. hard to beat a 1996 -1999, 200hp merc for a hot rod platform, lots of good threads on building one on here, still a good selection of parts still available too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skeeter, I have a Valero YT with a modified 1999 200. It runs great but I'm looking at another hull (no motor) to see if I can get something that will do better in rougher water. As you know, lots of boat traffic around here in the summer lots of wakeboard boats. The very short running surfaces of the Valero aren't very good with waves. The boat is a ton of fun to drive and certainly a challenge but if the main lake has traffic I might as well not even head out there. Have to stay in certain fingers and coves.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, they are all nuts in the warm weather months, worse thing to happen in recent years are those F#$%ING wakeboard boats! sucks in a smaller body of water such as the river channels, oh well, that's price of progress!
    Anyway, a 20 ft or bigger, say like a Checkmate or Wellcraft would be a good choice, for playing around in the rough i guess? Im a fisherman myself, so im off the water by 11 am on the summer weekends! I do love the go fast stuff and would love to own a high performance boat like a hydrostream or a Laser one day, but i'm content playing with my basser's for now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mother Mercury has a complex story. I doubt you will find it in one place.

If you know the boat, your budget, and your planned use the crowd here will give you good advice.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Skeeter and David.

Looking at a 2002 200xs. Are these really 200hp? Or a high performance 200 really making 200 plus? Considering a 20 foot Seebold Eagle with no engine. I've read some of the Promax engines and xs engines make more power than listed. Did xs replace Promax in the line? Both are 'racing' models within the Mercury lineup? I have a modified 1990 200 fishing motor on Valero now. Drilled or cut exhaust. Loud! Are the Promax and/or xs models similar sound. Not sure I enjoy the scream after awhile. Thanks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would LOVE to find a resource of info to determine all the differences on just the 3.0L & 3.2L stuff. I have two 1998 300X Promax motors which pretty much nothing is interchangeable to any 2.5L stuff nor has much performance value other than being a heavier grunt ultimately for my Flats boat.

I also have two 3.0L 225 Optimax motors which I am learning are simply identical to a 250hp Opti with just the ECU being different and the RPM limits higher on the 250hp model.

What makes the 225/250hp Optis an "XS" model?

Will just swapping to a stroker 3.2L crank make a 225/250 motor into a 300XS with the proper reflash or ECU?

I am currently building my 21 Eliminator Daytona as a center-steer boat to run the 2018 Parker Enduro to which a new Enduro was just announced for April 2018... so the plan is a 3.0/3.2L Opti powerhead on Scott Porta's exhaust mid adaptor and a 2.5L 15" mid with the fat shaft offshore LH sporty.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    David "Tango" Wilks

Current boats: (Not All Running...LOL)
    18' VT-Rocket Bass Boat: 2.5L 280 Mercury
    21' Eliminator Daytona: Stripped and Possibly For Sale!
    24' Skater: Uncut, Not Rigged and Possibly For Sale!
    30' SeaRay 290 SunSport SLX: twin 3.0L Duramax diesels & Bravo3 drives
    52' Sunseeker Predator twin Volvo-Penta IPS900 diesels

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danger....In my opinion the 200xs is one of Mercury's best. Good power with lots of torque and fuel mileage beyond your imagination. The ProMax is also a great motor with fuel consumption beyond your imagination. The Eagle is a fairly heavy boat and I think the xs would make a better motor for that boat however either would work well. It depends a LOT on how you use your boat and what your main objectives are. The xs did not replace the Promax as an xs is a racing division Optimax and the Promax is not an Opti. My xs was on a 15" offshore mid so it was fairly loud but on a regular mid would be as quiet as any of them. Promax the same cuz the mid, for the most part, is where you get the sound. As far as the true horsepower rating they are like any other motor in that some are better than others. My xs would turn a 30 et on the limiter at 6500. I think the promax will turn more rpm but I don't know if it could have turned a 30. Good luck.

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 2002 200XS is a 2.5 litre direct injected engine from Mercury racing. Solid engine mounts, 6800 rpm, sportmaster, all good, and a strong 200 plus HP. Much better then a fishing 200. You could say it replaced the 225 Promax.

The direct injected engines burn a lot less gas. Merc calls them XS. If I bought an early optimal (XS) engine I think I would have the compressor and or bearings checked out/replaced or at least talk to someone knowledgeable. No direct knowledge, but my mechanic doesn't trust them. But he did buy a new 175XS this year.

To confuse things Mercury sells a 200 ProXS which is a 3 litre motor with only a 6000 rpm redline and a standard gearcase. There is also the current 200XS ROS which is a short shaft update of the 2002 engine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks David and Rock. So the XS and Promax engines were offered at the same time for at least some of their history. Promax was fuel injected but not direct injection. I see the XS line is still offered from Mercury but I don't see Promax in the current line up.

Can anyone say what years the Promax engines were offered? What HP they were each offered in? Were they the same displacement/same block as the XS? Both solid motor mounts with sportmaster lowers?

Trying to determine if watching out for either / both is a good option. Thanks again.
    Last edited by DangerNewb; 11-27-2017 at 10:56 AM.

17. Thanks bmax thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast