Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Light weight battery

What’s a light weight battery that’s good for a day of boating one a mercury 260?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This cranks my 180 lbs pound compression big block OMC pretty easily. Not sure if you have a stereo system though...Cheap compared to the Li-Ion batteries...

Braille Advanced AGM Lightweight Racing Batteries
    Braille Battery B14115. Only 11.5 Pounds.
    Larry Gempp Jr.

Proud HydroStream Powertour Member

Current Ride - 2024 22 Liberator - 450R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what you consider to be 'lightweight' and like SpeedJr says...any stereo or additional electronics? I'd go dual purpose AGM (45-55 lbs) if you do have any other electronics (stereo) running off just one battery. If you don't...a smaller dedicated AGM marine cranking battery (35-45 lbs) should do it...

Don't know your budget either but either of those can be had at Wal-Mart for $55-75 depending on which one you need. I never have more than 2 AGM's in the boat at one time (perfect balance)...even when the trolling motor, stereo and lights are rippin at the same time. Motor gets started off em too...can use both for 12V or both for 24V while using just one for 12V with a quick wire switch.
    Last edited by Bullet 20cc; 10-23-2017 at 12:34 AM.
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower...it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

02 Dodge Cummins 2500 reg cab 4x4, converted long to short bed, up a foot, twins, injectors, fully built auto, dyno'd 582hp/1015tq

99 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe, 8.0L V-10, lowered 1", Corsa pipes/no cats, 450hp/500tq

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started running Altronics lithium and very impressed. I used to have to run 24v start with my tight heads and it cranked my motor over with out even flinching. They come in around 8lbs and have a 4yr warranty if you buy there charger and charge up super fast. I tried anti-gravity last year and killed it after one race. I forgot to turn main power off in boat overnight I guess my fault but when I called and asked what they could do to help me out I was told S.O.L.. I wanted to go with braille this year because it was lighter but after 2.5 months of them having my money and being told it's shipping next week I decided to try the Altronics. I called on Monday was told they had to build it and thought oh boy here we go again but had my battery by Friday. They are very pricey right up there with the braille but IMO after all the other $$$ stuck in the boat I don't want battery to be weak point. I liked the battery so much I became a dealer and am willing sell them to S&F members at dealer cost. Check out there website give then shoot me PM with which one you like and I will get price quote. I went with the 12vp2000 pro series.

5. Likes home made tunnel, Ace liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The boat doesn have a stereo in it. Motors have drag electronics and Weldon fuel pumps. Trying to find something that will let me do a day of boating but save some weight. Thanks for the feed back I’m going to look into both the light battery’s mentioned.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 97 TWISTER View Post
    I started running Altronics lithium and very impressed. I used to have to run 24v start with my tight heads and it cranked my motor over with out even flinching. They come in around 8lbs and have a 4yr warranty if you buy there charger and charge up super fast. I tried anti-gravity last year and killed it after one race. I forgot to turn main power off in boat overnight I guess my fault but when I called and asked what they could do to help me out I was told S.O.L.. I wanted to go with braille this year because it was lighter but after 2.5 months of them having my money and being told it's shipping next week I decided to try the Altronics. I called on Monday was told they had to build it and thought oh boy here we go again but had my battery by Friday. They are very pricey right up there with the braille but IMO after all the other $$$ stuck in the boat I don't want battery to be weak point. I liked the battery so much I became a dealer and am willing sell them to S&F members at dealer cost. Check out there website give then shoot me PM with which one you like and I will get price quote. I went with the 12vp2000 pro series.
    Thanks for helping S&F ! What did you mean about swapping 12v to 24v? You just swap the battery hookup from parallel to in series? That doesn't fry anything else?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran 24v just to starter only 2 oddesey 625's. The altronics has 42 min storage capacity. Check out more specs on there website. Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Oddysey 925 is a great middle of the road battery also. They are 26 pounds each I believe. I've used them in 3 boats for the starter battery.
    Larry Gempp Jr.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take the cooler out next time, then the heavy batteries won't matter!! haha

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Jr. View Post
    The Oddysey 925 is a great middle of the road battery also. They are 26 pounds each I believe. I've used them in 3 boats for the starter battery.
    Yeah I was thinking of going that route. 11lbs sounds better though haha

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukiride View Post
    Take the cooler out next time, then the heavy batteries won't matter!! haha
    It will be on a few hundred pound diet next year lol. And small props.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All depends on the budget. Braille makes a large variety of 12 volt lithium batteries.
    Erik Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patchesII View Post
    All depends on the budget. Braille makes a large variety of 12 volt lithium batteries.
    Are you still running anti-gravity batteries if so how are the working out? They are priced much better and light also talked to others running them with good luck. I assumed much reasonability for the demise of mine, like I said I forgot to shut main power off. It drained down to 10 volts and would not recharge. I was just hoping after one race with it they would at least pro rate or work with me a little. I was even looking at buying at least 3 of there jump packs for my tow trucks. I really wanted the braille for weight reasons but could keep waiting. I rerigged the whole boat last year and didn't want to finish up wiring until I had a battery mounted. When I looked into the Altronics battery I was bummed out it weighed a bit more but it also has a built in shut off so you can't drain it down too far, I need to be as idiot proof as possible lol. Braille kept telling me they were waiting for the cases to be made, I guess the sub that out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still run an Antigravity trim battery that is now 3.5 years old. I use Braille lithium for starting now. The Antigravity batteries were perfect and the only issue I ever had was I left the Perko on for 3 weeks after a race and killed my two 24 cell start batteries. Not the fault of the battery
    Erik Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, I have a set of Braille I34D batteries that are 6 months old if you wanna go baller status. They are $2300-2400 each new. I'd sell em for $4k.....195 Amp Hours at 19 pounds. They are in my race boat now but I will admit are overkill....

Jr.
    Larry Gempp Jr.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast