1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uw8.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	302.7 KB 
ID:	393184
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMP View Post
    One of those pics shows what looks like a pad on the roller.
    You are right FMP aft bottom is almost flat so this will be built at the sides to make a flat pad.

I love my Bikini

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flabum1017 View Post
    I would get rid of the roller bunks and get good, solid boards for ti to set on and extend beyond the transom.
    That is on the list to be done by March 13th Next year. The boat goes back in the loch then.There were semi bunks on the trailer when i got it. But it was rusting away. The hull was flat on the bunks but then sagged once it left the end hence the hook. If it had proper bunks all along im sure she wouldnt have had this hook.
    Picture shows old rusted bunks. Hook is bad when you see her like this.

Name:	DSCF0078.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	422.0 KB 
ID:	393186

I love my Bikini

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your trailer was an original snipe powerboat trailer and a very good one when new.the object of the trailer is for the keel to have all the weight of the boat resting on the keel rollers, then the two aft bunks ( 1 each side) purely to keep the boat balanced.they are NOT meant to be load bearing as in take loads of weight etc, just to keep it upright.the two rollers roughly in middle of trailer act as level guides until the rear beams come into slight contact with the hull.everyone who got these new used ratcheting spanners on the large nuts to set them up right. this is far better than a bunked trailer by a long way.the very best system is the roller coaster type with swing beam at the back, very expensive but great to launch and recover and very good when towing.took me a long time to get the roller coaster, but worth every penny.and NO it is not a pad on the hull, none of the datelines had a pad, its just a shallow v rounded at the bottom. nothing to stop you fitting a pad, but it needs to be 100% accurate or will be a pig to drive and make it handle terrible.

5. Likes spybot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it Phill
    Yeah the trailer is a 1980 snipe tilt trailer some age as the boat and engine.
    Will be worth while fixing it up again. Just need another few months lol seems the jobs are mounting up.
    Will get there though

I love my Bikini

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer a trailer with strong bunks with the boats' weight is on the bunks. The chines on the bunk and the bunk extending a couple inches beyond the transom; this help prevent creating a hook. Putting a lot of weight on the keel roller ahead of the transom will cause a hook. The only thing I set the keel roller up to do is to keep the boat from hitting the trailer frame on launch and haul. The bow roller carries the weight of the front of the boat, but with larger boats, I like v mounted bunks as well near the keel. And to load straight, a pair of guides.

Name:	IMG_0758.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	411.6 KB 
ID:	393224
    Last edited by flabum1017; 11-29-2017 at 08:58 PM.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

8. Thanks spybot thanked for this post
    Likes spybot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bunks should be used inline with centre rollers, this type of boat is NOT strong enough where the bunks would be.
    or with a second set of bunks that support the keel line of the hull.
    the centreline of the boat /keel should be used to take the main weight of the boat and the outer bunks just to support it from tilting over.
    not many boats are designed to have the weight of the boat put on such a small area like half way up the hull bottom.

boats like Mastercraft and Ski Nautique ski boats are fine on bunked only trailers, they have totally different type of hull and built very heavy in those areas.

The Snipe break back/tilt trailer is a great trailer , it can easily be converted into the roller type trailer as in the one below.
    Snipe trailers have been the no1 trailer in the uk for about 45 years, heavy duty galvanised steel with a great reputation for
    long lasting good road holding trailers.
    this below is my snipe trailer and can take from 4metre (13 ft) feet to 5.8 metre (19ft) boat, the rear swing beam makes loading and unloading a breeze.
    Max weight on mine is 750 kilo as its not a braked version, if I put brakes on then its a 1300 kilo max trailer.

But with any type of trailer if the bunks go rotten or the rollers are broken you will get damage to the hull if not rectified quickly.
    its very cheap to replace any of the bunks, just a nice but of hardwood soaked in a drop of preservative for a week or two will last years.
    and wobble rollers are cheap to replace.
    other type of rollers such as keel rollers need to be taken apart from new and have plenty of water pump grease inside them and they too will last years and
    roll nice and easy.

always remember the trailer is the no 1 most important part of your boat rig, without a good safe trailer your not going boating.
    2nd is the kill switch lanyard to be worn by the driver, 3rd is your life vest.

Being as you intend to use your dateline on a loch, you willl be fine and love the boat once its all done and ready, its a style of boat that will never go out of
    fashion as they look as good today as they did back in 1970, super cool looking boats

Name:	long view 1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	283.6 KB 
ID:	393228
    and my old dateline Bikini on its snipe trailer

Name:	dateline with volvo 70hp.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	393236

10. Thanks spybot thanked for this post
    Likes spybot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillnjack View Post
    Bunks should be used inline with centre rollers, this type of boat is NOT strong enough where the bunks would be.
    or with a second set of bunks that support the keel line of the hull.
    the centreline of the boat /keel should be used to take the main weight of the boat and the outer bunks just to support it from tilting over.
    not many boats are designed to have the weight of the boat put on such a small area like half way up the hull bottom.

boats like Mastercraft and Ski Nautique ski boats are fine on bunked only trailers, they have totally different type of hull and built very heavy in those areas.

The Snipe break back/tilt trailer is a great trailer , it can easily be converted into the roller type trailer as in the one below.
    Snipe trailers have been the no1 trailer in the uk for about 45 years, heavy duty galvanised steel with a great reputation for
    long lasting good road holding trailers.
    this below is my snipe trailer and can take from 4metre (13 ft) feet to 5.8 metre (19ft) boat, the rear swing beam makes loading and unloading a breeze.
    Max weight on mine is 750 kilo as its not a braked version, if I put brakes on then its a 1300 kilo max trailer.

But with any type of trailer if the bunks go rotten or the rollers are broken you will get damage to the hull if not rectified quickly.
    its very cheap to replace any of the bunks, just a nice but of hardwood soaked in a drop of preservative for a week or two will last years.
    and wobble rollers are cheap to replace.
    other type of rollers such as keel rollers need to be taken apart from new and have plenty of water pump grease inside them and they too will last years and
    roll nice and easy.

always remember the trailer is the no 1 most important part of your boat rig, without a good safe trailer your not going boating.
    2nd is the kill switch lanyard to be worn by the driver, 3rd is your life vest.

Being as you intend to use your dateline on a loch, you willl be fine and love the boat once its all done and ready, its a style of boat that will never go out of
    fashion as they look as good today as they did back in 1970, super cool looking boats

Name:	long view 1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	283.6 KB 
ID:	393228
    and my old dateline Bikini on its snipe trailer

Name:	dateline with volvo 70hp.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	393236
    Great post! But at my age I would put my vest ahead of my lanyard for importance!!!lol
    Gary
    "12" Super Lite Tunnel (11') "88" 25 Yammy twin carb "BANANA SPLIT"
    "77" Hydrostream Viper "87" 140 Rude heavy modded w/15" mid, Bobs nose and lwp "DANGER ZONE"
    "72" Checkmate MX-13 "80" 75 Rude w/15"mid and Nitro Lu (to be restored)

"Too much is never enough" Keith Richards " Dreams become reality via hard work and perseverance" G.A.Carbonneau

"This coming from an old man that strapped two bananas together, hung a motor on it and calls it a boat" XstreamVking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roller trailers make it nice and easy to get the boat on and off, but with the boat sitting on the rollers, there is a small area the boats' weight is on compared with a good bunk trailer. Plus the weight is usually resting forward of the transom which distorts the hull and creates a hook. We sold a lot of Shoreline roller trailers in Miami and many of the boats suffered on them. Especially those that sat 6 months out of the year.

Whenever I set up my trailers, I set them up so the boat is as low as possible and so the boat can be driven onto the trailer. The boat I pictured, I would back the trailer into the water, drive the boat up onto the trailer, slide up onto the bow with it still in gear and hook the cable up. From start to finish, I'd have the boat out of the water in less than three minutes. I could launch it just as fast.

13. Likes spybot liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flabum1017 View Post
    Roller trailers make it nice and easy to get the boat on and off, but with the boat sitting on the rollers, there is a small area the boats' weight is on compared with a good bunk trailer. Plus the weight is usually resting forward of the transom which distorts the hull and creates a hook. We sold a lot of Shoreline roller trailers in Miami and many of the boats suffered on them. Especially those that sat 6 months out of the year..
    This is how my boat got its hook but from laying there for a year or two before i got her.
    What i have to think about is the boat will be on the trailer from Oct-March 6 months of just sitting there, so i am going to build bunks. This way she will never get another hook.
    Maybe i should start a thread about the removing the hook and another for trailer as we should be talking about moding the V4.
    Last edited by spybot; 11-30-2017 at 08:26 AM.

I love my Bikini

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    put that on bunks and it will 100% distort, you need the majority of weight on the length of the keel.
    ive seen plenty of boats distort sitting on cradles parked in boat yards...
    from underneath go along where bunks would be and you will see how weak that area is, you can push it in a tiny bit with not much force.

you cant just get 2 flat bits of wood and expect it to stay in shape just because you put a bit of carpet on it...

show us a good pic of the trailer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the cradles; cradles are usually just 2X4's and the weight of the hull ends up just on the supports. When I say bunks, I mean good, heavy solid bunks usually 3" X 6" stood up, not laying flat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trailer I pictured, the bunks rested on the frame standing up...... zero flex, zero hook.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agree with bum good sturdy bunks.Better yet heres a pic of mine 4 2x6 bunks better yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1865.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 bunks is good, if 2 of them are down by the keel. also ok if the bunks have been steam bent to match the boat, or on something that is dead flat.

I have had bunk trailers, normal roller trailers, rollers with bunks etc, not a chance I would ever have any compared to swing beams with wobble rollers.
    they cradle the boat perfectly and take all the weight evenly, proven world wide to be the safest on the roads and by far the easiest to launch.
    I used to think they would not be as good as they are, every emergency service over here uses them, navy , army, police , rnli etc you name it.
    and with a break back chassis its a pure dream to use.

the original poster will of seen genuine roller coaster trailers, these are nothing like those daft German brenderupp roller things that fall apart and dig into hulls.
    we have a few makes over here that are good, the rest are crap, snipe, indespension and bramber are the 3 to own. others are plain
    steel and or crap designs.
    we have been invaded with lots of cheap Chinese trailers and they are not worth thinking about as too weak and just not right.
    company I was working with insisted on getting cheap ones to use for selling complete new fully rigged outfits, I said they would be crap
    and I was 100% right.O
    One company called extreme trailers sell them, ive had first hand experience with them and would never recommend one.
    heRe is one below, might look ok but far too flimsy and just yuk, these are nothing like the real deal. the mudguards ( fenders to americans) are the only decent thing about them, instead of soft nylon rollers they are cheap hard plastic and they split easy...
    loads of steel parts not fully galvanised the list goes on, but they are 2/3rds the price of a decent one same size and people think they
    are getting a bargain.
    next to the trailer below we had 3 brand new showroom cradles , they were just ok, not good but ok. again Chinese cheapo.

trailers area personal choice, and depend big time on where you launch..

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9355.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	359.6 KB 
ID:	393614

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast