User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Origami spa pool for top deck !

No moulds required just a big flat table ! It started its life as a big flat panel then curled up the edge that would form the pool base eventually !! then step by step it became what you see sitting in place on the sky deck !! the whole thing including the steps took just under two weeks completed as we fitted it in with other work we were doing all at the same time and no one suspected what we were doing !!.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pics 8 - 7 - 2003 009.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	385088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pics 17  6 - 2003 001spa pool panels.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	385089Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pics 17  6 - 2003 013spa pool panels.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	385090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pics 22-  6 - 2003 002spa pool panels set up.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	385091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pics 26-  6 - 2003 013.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	385092Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pics 30-  6 - 2003 001 pool surround.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	385093

We were given this project and told moulds would have to be made , the know it all bosses pet subcontractors we had had been asked first and was put in there to hard basket and said it would take a couple of months to complete .
    So when the drawing arrived I got all my guy together and after some long debate with my staff we all decided to scrap the mould idea as was to time consuming and a bad idea and go with the concept of ORIGAMI and make folding panels and coring sections that didn't need to be bent ,then standing up and core the curve !!! ,After that then segmenting the fold over top to make the circle that the pool would be suspended from!! With the amount of water and who knows how many people on the pool it had to be really strong !!, and as all this was happening the steps were made same way from flat panels with a rolled over edge and assembled as a completely separate unit , Then the forklift carried it to the boat shed so it could be craned to the top deck and dry fitting began .

Was about this time the know it all smug management came to check on progress of the mould we were meant to be making ho ho !!! there mouth dropped open in total disbelief when they were told the completed unit and steps were up on the boat being fitted in place ! and that we didn't have to make any moulds for anything !! What ? how can you do that ??? then the question started flying of how was it done ! sorry the guys and myself decided that's our secret for us to know and you to never find out !!!

This was just another example of knowing what can be done with the materials you have to work with and keeping it simple !!
    As some one HERE has already said non of this origami thing is new BUT its just never been done before because workers and bosses lack imagination and cant think PAST next few steps beyond what they are used to doing and don't know or have a vaguest idea what the products they are using are capable of !! SO IT MUST BE NEW if no one else thought of it and did it !!
    Last edited by tunnels; 08-29-2017 at 03:15 AM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The purpose of this post is to show not always do moulds have to be made to produce some things ! when with a little thinking and lots of knowledge from past projects and skills learned can be put to good use !
    I have found over the years management staff are not very bright and mostly very closed minded to what people they have working with them really are capable of if given encouragement and the opportunity!! .
    This is why I always spend all my time working with all my guys to find there natural talents and skill level and pair people together learning from each other always upping every ones skill level and making everyone more capable of multi tasking ! It also creates interest and a much better and enjoyable working environment !!
    Like home away from home and guys wanting to come to work because it stimulating and a pleasure !!.
    Last edited by tunnels; 09-01-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!