User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Making a vee birth with lift out openings

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2087713121.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	403.6 KB 
ID:	385000 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2087713122.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	402.1 KB 
ID:	385001

this is very simple to make a vee birth the same concept was used for the floor and the ply moulds for the lift outs were all the same size throughout the whole boat !! ,the ply wood was impregnated with thick coats of release wax !!, also the cored glass lay up was almost identical also! Later the lift out lids were all made from glass and 5 mm core matt and glass . The resin used was pigmented white so being white all through with white gloss top no touch ups required and the thumb holes only needed a find sand ! Pigmented resin is a excellent quick way of making hatch's also and there very little finishing work needs to be done !!AND if you use PEEL PLY and roll that nicely on the underside the finish is even better !!
    Have done all these kinds of things all my working life and it just becomes second nature and hardly even have to think about it any more !
    Last edited by tunnels; 08-27-2017 at 06:59 AM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very nice.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Instigator View Post
    Very nice.
    In South Korea we had lots big flat panels to be made so made a steel frame on wheels and 4 sheets 8x4 mdf board on top tongue and grooved joined then epoxy coated ,sanded and gel coated then sine sanded and polished so could also was able to be used for infusion or vac bagging table !
    The vee birth panels were gel coated white and the ply screwed together and waxed then stuck to the mould with double sided tape then coved with models clay all round ! gel coated and then the nida core and glassed and flow coated on the underside ! , A ply pattern made for the actual shape and when de-moulded and flipped right way up marked from the pattern !!, the ply formers were knocked out and set back on the mould for a different shaped panel and the whole process repeated quite a few times , So the cnc was able to cut the fiberglass core matt fiberglass sheet for the drop in lids all the same and interchangeable !
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Again trying to demonstrate that life doesn't have to be complicated and panels and shapes can be made outside the boat , patterns made to cut to and then the final fitting and glassing in place complete with lift outs all pre-moulded and shaped saving many hours of fiddly work !