Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laser Bass boat right? Why did you fabricate such a thick new transom material, that won't fit under the transom deck cap area? Total thickness of 1 1/2" material, is what fits. Are you now having to cut down the top area of the new board to fit under it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    Laser Bass boat right? Why did you fabricate such a thick new transom material, that won't fit under the transom deck cap area? Total thickness of 1 1/2" material, is what fits. Are you now having to cut down the top area of the new board to fit under it?
    Actually haven't even started on the project yet. I'm still in the planning phase. I'm trying to beef up the boat but I want to keep it light as well. The reason for going with the thicker transom is that I may end up with a 3.0 liter on the back at some point to do a long river run. However, it will probably have a 2.5 (Promax or 225x) on it the majority of the time I currently have a 200efi on it now. Yes it is a Laser bass boat. I just want to get rid of the motor well for a cleaner look. However, I may keep it. Just trying to get some guidance from the expert.
    Last edited by TiGer85SS; 08-16-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    corelite board is affordable ,BUT the shipping is stupid high.!!

4. Likes W2F a V-King liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    corelite board is affordable ,BUT the shipping is stupid high.!!
    There is a distributor about 2hrs away from me so I will just drive down to get it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGer85SS View Post
    There is a distributor about 2hrs away from me so I will just drive down to get it.
    If you're talking about the corelite in Dallas (which actually manufactures the corelite PET core), that would be the same salesman I work with. He'll do whatever he can to help you out, answer questions about product, etc. Really good guy. His direct # is (714)267-1994 email: rocky@xtxcomposites.com
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    If you're talking about the corelite in Dallas (which actually manufactures the corelite PET core), that would be the same salesman I work with. He'll do whatever he can to help you out, answer questions about product, etc. Really good guy. His direct # is (714)267-1994 email: rocky@xtxcomposites.com
    No a place called compositeone is located down in Alexandria, La but I will gladly drive to Dallas. That is only 3 hrs away. Thanks for the contact info. I have some questions I would like to ask.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your looking for the Corelite board, I believe it is only manufactured in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale or so it was when I purchased mine. But it has been since March of this year that I bought mine. Maybe there is another distributor by now.
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yup, the board is manufactured in South FL but they are always shipping to/from DFW and MIA.
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shipping 1 sheet 4x8 (actually 2 sheets 48"x48") was quoted @ 140.00 to S.C.!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    shipping 1 sheet 4x8 (actually 2 sheets 48"x48") was quoted @ 140.00 to S.C.!!!!
    Wow, that is like buying an extra sheet.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe I need to clarify this after I read it.the shipping for 2 whole sheets is 140.00.that 4 sheets 48 x48.5 whole sheets or 10 halves is 195.I m not recoreing the queen mary.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used 2-4'x8' 1/2" boards of Corelite board is for my structural work @ 28 lb. density. In my case transom and stringers and seat box.

Where as the Corelite pet is a lot lighter density, comparable to Divinicell H80, save for the specifications on the pet is actually a slight bit beefier than the Divinicell. Suitable for core material, panels, etc. Scrim backed and scored.

Shipping on my 2 sheets 4x8 was high as well, in about the same neighborhood as quoted you. Difference was my order I needed them in the whole sheet for one panel anyway, I made all my stringers from a full sheet. The second sheet did my transom and will make my seat box.

They came on a double pallet laying flat, boxed and strapped down ... That is why it was so expensive I guess. The double pallet ( like two pallets connected end to end ) was at least 80% of the shipping weight. The two Corelite panels together didn't weigh very much, but the shipping pallets sure did.

I tried to get the distributor in Dallas to ship me the pet I needed for my core material. He told me it would not be worth it to him to start his machines to make the small amount I needed....had to buy a whole pallet. So I did not buy from him.

Since your in the planning stage, ask them ( Corelite ) to send you a sample of their products. That was free. I did the same for the Coosa board, called and had them ( Coosa ) send me a sample of their transom material 2" thick. I did my own glassing and stress testing on both products. Made my choices from my findings.

My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W2F a V-King View Post
    I used 2-4'x8' 1/2" boards of Corelite board is for my structural work @ 28 lb. density. In my case transom and stringers and seat box.

Where as the Corelite pet is a lot lighter density, comparable to Divinicell H80, save for the specifications on the pet is actually a slight bit beefier than the Divinicell. Suitable for core material, panels, etc. Scrim backed and scored.

Shipping on my 2 sheets 4x8 was high as well, in about the same neighborhood as quoted you. Difference was my order I needed them in the whole sheet for one panel anyway, I made all my stringers from a full sheet. The second sheet did my transom and will make my seat box.

They came on a double pallet laying flat, boxed and strapped down ... That is why it was so expensive I guess. The double pallet ( like two pallets connected end to end ) was at least 80% of the shipping weight. The two Corelite panels together didn't weigh very much, but the shipping pallets sure did.

I tried to get the distributor in Dallas to ship me the pet I needed for my core material. He told me it would not be worth it to him to start his machines to make the small amount I needed....had to buy a whole pallet. So I did not buy from him.

Since your in the planning stage, ask them ( Corelite ) to send you a sample of their products. That was free. I did the same for the Coosa board, called and had them ( Coosa ) send me a sample of their transom material 2" thick. I did my own glassing and stress testing on both products. Made my choices from my findings.
    OK thanks for you input. I'm kind of familiar with Coosa I have worked with it before. However, the extremely high price was kind of a turn off for me. I'm not against using wood as I would throughly soak it with vinyl ester or epoxy before laying in glass. When I ran across the core lite material and the price I was quoted I had to look more into it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty cool to see someone else doing an all composite Laser, thats awesome. One question I have is, how are you guys doing stringers with only a 96" piece to work with, the stock stringers are longer than that in the Laser (and I assume other performance oriented boats)

I know Coosa offers a 5'x12' board for that type thing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added 28" to a 96" long stringer with a scarf joint, glued together under pressure with thickened epoxy.

17. Likes 1BadAction, Noah Burns liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2