Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Initial set up for a Vulture

Been working on my Vulture since the river has been closed by me and getting closer to putting it back in the water. It has a 77' Johnson 200 hung on a 12" jackplate with the standard water pickup. 21 gal tank in the back with the battery. Looking for advice on what type of prop to start out with. I know this hull needs a lot of bow lift, but with the prop being buried in the water would a chopper work or is there a better option?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 10"jp 200 merc turning a 26" chopper, prop shaft even with the pad. I would recommend borrowing props if you can.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Jhuff83, I also live and boat in your area, hope to see you on the river if it ever opens back up again, still a ton of crap floating down...
    God, Country, and Fast Boats
    SPECIAL BOAT TEAM 12/ HSB'S SOC NSWU-1

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JHuff83 View Post
    Been working on my Vulture since the river has been closed by me and getting closer to putting it back in the water. It has a 77' Johnson 200 hung on a 12" jackplate with the standard water pickup. 21 gal tank in the back with the battery. Looking for advice on what type of prop to start out with. I know this hull needs a lot of bow lift, but with the prop being buried in the water would a chopper work or is there a better option?
    Choppers are intended to be run surfaced, so raising your motor will help running a chopper. You can only go so far without a low water pick up.... If you do look for a chopper, a newer large ear will work better for you to lift the bow than the older I6 small ear choppers. imo..

Also worth noting is most through the hub exhaust propellers tend to give some stern lift. Might not be what your looking for though.

Try as many props as you can....

Recommend a temp and water pressure gauge as well, especially when raising your motor.
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmcviper View Post
    I have a 10"jp 200 merc turning a 26" chopper, prop shaft even with the pad. I would recommend borrowing props if you can.
    Borrowing props was easy when I had Merc. Not very many guys running omc stuff by me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by specboatops View Post
    Jhuff83, I also live and boat in your area, hope to see you on the river if it ever opens back up again, still a ton of crap floating down...
    It's finally down, but there is still a lot of BIG stuff floating by my house. Where do you usually put in at?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran several omc props on my V6 Mercs...15 spline small shaft. Might have to get creative on thrust washers, etc.

One of the best props I ran on one of my checkmates was an omc prop.
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JHuff83 View Post
    It's finally down, but there is still a lot of BIG stuff floating by my house. Where do you usually put in at?
    Usually Sports Core, I have the Red/Silver and Black Metal flake Gambler Super Sport with the Promax on the back, so you live on the river? wanting to get out this weekend or early next week, news said for now it's open for running from Riverside south, let me know if you want to try and run some.
    God, Country, and Fast Boats
    SPECIAL BOAT TEAM 12/ HSB'S SOC NSWU-1

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W2F a V-King View Post
    I ran several omc props on my V6 Mercs...15 spline small shaft. Might have to get creative on thrust washers, etc.

One of the best props I ran on one of my checkmates was an omc prop.

Ill have to try one of my merc props on it and check fitment. I was doing some research and it seems that from what I have found the OMC props fit on the mercs, but the merc props don't fit on the omc shaft due to the spline length.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by specboatops View Post
    Usually Sports Core, I have the Red/Silver and Black Metal flake Gambler Super Sport with the Promax on the back, so you live on the river? wanting to get out this weekend or early next week, news said for now it's open for running from Riverside south, let me know if you want to try and run some.

OK, I've seen you out before. I just bought my house last year, its just north of Latham on the west side of the river. I had the apricot viper last year and ran around with a blue Vking and a blue Vector. I don't know what the hell they are doing this year, but the river has been about 3ft high all summer long. Not sure how soon I'll be back out, still have to rewire the boat, get new gauges and get my jackplate put on.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    imho the vulture 20 ft is just to long and the front seats are to far forward . Had a 79 year and a 175 omc v-6 20 inch and it was a bitch to get up on the pad with what prop I tried and even worse with a passenger in the front seat next to me.Put him in the back seat and it hit the pad fast but what a piece of crap boat period and im talking just an all around family boat whay a piece of crap its just too long and not set up right from when it was built new.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by racervboat View Post
    imho the vulture 20 ft is just to long and the front seats are to far forward . Had a 79 year and a 175 omc v-6 20 inch and it was a bitch to get up on the pad with what prop I tried and even worse with a passenger in the front seat next to me.Put him in the back seat and it hit the pad fast but what a piece of crap boat period and im talking just an all around family boat whay a piece of crap its just too long and not set up right from when it was built new.
    Thanks for the advice, not sure how telling me my boat is a piece of crap helps with prop selection though? Maybe we can keep our opinions to ourselves instead of bashing other peoples rides.

13. Likes roadkill636 liked this post
    Wentzville.MO 40 "miles west of St Louis"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Omc props WILL fit onto a merc propshaft BUT you will not be able to use the Merc nut or the spline lock tab. Because when the omc prop is on there there are no splines sticking out to grab onto. Therefore you will need a 3/4" flat washer and a THIN locknut to go onto the shaft to hold the prop on. And you will need to check the thin locknut each time in use.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadkill636 View Post
    Omc props WILL fit onto a merc propshaft BUT you will not be able to use the Merc nut or the spline lock tab. Because when the omc prop is on there there are no splines sticking out to grab onto. Therefore you will need a 3/4" flat washer and a THIN locknut to go onto the shaft to hold the prop on. And you will need to check the thin locknut each time in use.
    Ill have to just grab one and see how it fits. Everyone by me runs Merc stuff and I have an OMC on mine for now.

Wentzville.MO 40 "miles west of St Louis"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opps. I misread. I was thinking you had a mercury and wanted to run omc prop.

Well then. You would need to drill out the splines in the merc prop from the front side of the prop to where there is only about 1/2" of splines in the prop in order for a mercury prop to fit onto your Johnrude. Or get a Flo-Torq prop with a OMC hub kit and it will all bolt up good and correct. If you want bow lift look at the Raker props OMC makes.

One more thing. Rember that lower unit was only made in 76 and 77 and uses a diffrent water pump impeller

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast