Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the best drag foil

I have a 18 ft Hydrostream virage (tri-maran hull) with 12 inch bob's jackplate and 300xs with 32 pitch drag4 propeller need this big wheel for not hitting limiter. Perfect setup only the holeshot is terrible when you want to plane, you have to lean forward with al the people on board close to the dashboard to plane... when its planing it runs like a dream you can do everything and it will be very fast😎

So now Iam looking what will be the best drag foil to install I don't want to lose top speed @ full speed the sportmaster jacket up till the cone is approx 1/2 inch above the pad close to the point I start loosing waterpressure. Boat needs the bowlift it have now for top end.

I saw 4 different foils, the bob's true tracker looks nice but read @ wot the prop spray hit the plate and you loose top speed.

The allison drag foil looks great and don't keep the prop spray can't find if this reduce top end. Saw also a nice copy from cb marine. (Can't find where to buy the allison foil no email from them)

There was another carbon foil from triad boats with different design looks good and nice quality but can't find experience from buyers.

Last option was the allison skid planer to mount on the jackplate on my 12 inch bobs. I have space enough for instal, but don't know if it will fix my problem and if I will loose top end.

Hope you guys can help me have no expierence with foils
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170116_162001.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	393.2 KB 
ID:	382027

Name:	20170623_204016.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	404.1 KB 
ID:	382028

Name:	Screenshot_2017-07-19-12-00-12.png 
Views:	269 
Size:	3.63 MB 
ID:	382029
    Boat: Hydrostream virage
    Engine: Mercury 300 XS DBR 1.3
    Props: 32' performance drag4 ,buckshot gen2 4 blade cleaver 34'
    Max speed: 113mph

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a drag plate that I bought off SnF from Eagle One. I have a heavy boat, lots of set back, and 1.62 gears. The plate works well. I have cut notches in the plate so water releases off the prop and doesn't catch on the plate.
    I also use a skid planner under my static and power jack plates. I made the planner out of a kitchen cutting board and aluminum angle. It pivots with the power jack plate. Its a homemade setup and has worked well for 3 years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170729_080504.jpg   20170729_080439.jpg   20170729_080549.jpg  

3. Thanks darkdream thanked for this post
    Likes W2F a V-King, LetsBoat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lance
    that is one nice skid planer, very good bit of fabrication, looks perfect and the kitchen board is great material. (did the wife think someone crept in and stole it ).ha ha
    and I bet you only notched that drag plate to keep the rooster

I have always found that once the boat is planning and the plate running above the water it will NOT slow you down .
    spray from the prop is not going to slow you down as its already come away from the prop. you might be talking about 1/1,000 mph if that.

it is when people use a plate and still have it buried in the water when planning ( centre line of prop about 8 inches under the transom) that it hurts speed.
    Even the cheapo doel fin does NOT slow you down once she is on plane if its not touching water surface.

Those Allison type plates look about the coolest to me.

5. Likes darkdream liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for reply's guys! I go for the cb marine design (allison copy) I was really afraid to lose top end, every time I go out I try to set new records haha. But running real high so think you guys are right it will not have extra drag.

The home made skidplaner from Iance looks good too maybe somthing to make this winter.

When I have the plate and made the first runs I will post my results here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also made one out of a cutting board and aluminum angle! I thought I was the only one!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be making a Allison type foil as soon as I can get the material needed to make one.

I cant believe the local council and road workers in and around my area, every single one of their (perfect for me ) Alloy road signs that is ideal to make a nice A
    Allison type foil are being taken home and put away every day !! . its like they know I am on the prowl for one ?

This realy is not on, how am I supposed to "re-locate" one of these signs and turn it into a piece of maritime art when they keep putting out the plastic ones at night. .

If this keeps on I might have to break into my wallet and BUY material to make my foil

I have even offered a reward for the right one, maybe I will have to up the reward to a full pint of beer

once I get the material I will be making a nice one.

Wentzville.MO 40 "miles west of St Louis"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could someone post detailed dimetions on how to cut and make one?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you beat me to that ha ha

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do the foils do?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The foils act like a trim tab as in they provide a large area on the cavitation plate that when a boat pulls away it automatically digs down, the foils
    large area stops the rear of the boat digging down too much and lets the boat get to plane speed without the bow pointing skyward.
    this means faster to plane and much safer as the drivers vision is much better much faster.
    the zero to plane times difference can be huge with a foil fitted .
    when fully up on plane the foil that is attached to the cavitaion plate should not be lower than the surface of the water.
    idealy the plate should be above the water if engine is at optimum height.
    Foils do not slow the boat down in any way at all if the motor is set up correctly.

also when slowing down the boat tends to drop the rear when coming off plane, the foil can keep the boat on plane at a slower than normal speed.
    and again keeps better vision for the driver.
    steering is not affected in any way with a foil , unless its a custom foil that has large fins fitted to it ( some have been very good).

hope that helps.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added a Bob's True Tracker to my Virage/150XR4 about 20 years ago. It was a lot slower Virage than the one mentioned above. 73 mph gps. It went a bit faster when I had more spark advance but that was before I had GPS. So far from a 100 mph boat.

I lost 0 mph with the Bob's foil and it changed planing with an over hub prop from 5000 rpm and wait to just rolling onto a plane.

I have never run my SS2000 without a foil. Maybe I should try it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My own experience with foils has always been pretty good, but then I have only used them on boats that were a bit hard to
    get up onto plane quickly.
    I have allways liked to pull the kids and friends around on tubes and boards etc, so needed a boat that would get up ok at low speeds.

Here is 3 pics I took on the same day ( long time ago ) with my Shetland 498 with a 80hp mariner on the back.
    without the foil it would just go sky high and take absolute ages to eventually roll onto the plane, during that time I could not
    see a thing through the screen.
    All 3 pictures are from the same starting point for hole shot on full throttle.
    the first pic shows how high it got without a foil , the second pic is taken again without the foil on only reaching 14 mph and
    almost about to roll onto plane after wiggling steering left and right a lot.
    In the 3rd picture you can see with the foil fitted the boat was already on the plane and going way over 30mph at the same point.
    This was all from standing start from exact same place and then put the throttle to full forward.
    the foil transformed this boat, it jumped onto plane and got up to its 40plus very quickly and could pull a skier no problem..
    without the foil the motor was a bit too heavy for the boat to get to plane quickly, originally designed for a 50hp twin..

I could cruise with the boat still on the plane at 17mph with the foil, but anything under 20 without and it would drop right off plane.

This was just plain set of cheap every day Doel-Fins, nothing fancy and butt ugly black plastic fins ( but they worked ) !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sh4 (800 x 533).jpg   sh5 (800 x 525).jpg   sh6 (800 x 533).jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I promise here are some pics of my drag foil. Very happy with it the hole shot is still not perfect but much better and I can plane from 18 mph with no porpoising. When I lift up the engine it feels like there is no foil on it and lost no top speed. I like it Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170822_212116.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	415.6 KB 
ID:	386130 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170822_212128.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	409.7 KB 
ID:	386131 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170822_212135.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	405.2 KB 
ID:	386132 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170822_213925.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	429.2 KB 
ID:	386133

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great
    Did you etch the name in or just paint it ? looks proper factory like that.
    And that Allison shape looks proper cool.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I like it too,and works great .
    Just order by cb marine design they can drill everything you like, it was plug and play

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast