Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1989 Allison xtb restoration

I have a 89 xtb that was a barn find basically. The boat was clear coated once upon a time and was peeling. So I stripped it all off mostly the best I could. Then wet sanded by hand and polished it out the best I could. The gel still has a white oxidation in some parts that won't seem to come out so I'm think the gel is probably trashed. It also needs to be recarpeted and have some gauge holes fixed and some spider webbing in some places fixed. Along with the bottom being blue printed as it has some gel damage from floating logs in the river. I'd like to know who is the best in the south at doing boat restorations and is able to bring this boat back as close to possible to being new. Don't care if it's gonna need to be repainted or regelled. Just looking for who can do the best work.

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan428 View Post
    I have a 89 xtb that was a barn find basically. The boat was clear coated once upon a time and was peeling. So I stripped it all off mostly the best I could. Then wet sanded by hand and polished it out the best I could. The gel still has a white oxidation in some parts that won't seem to come out so I'm think the gel is probably trashed. It also needs to be recarpeted and have some gauge holes fixed and some spider webbing in some places fixed. Along with the bottom being blue printed as it has some gel damage from floating logs in the river. I'd like to know who is the best in the south at doing boat restorations and is able to bring this boat back as close to possible to being new. Don't care if it's gonna need to be repainted or regelled. Just looking for who can do the best work.
    What's the structure of the boat like ! transom, stringers ,floor and core of it has any ?? may not be wet but rot of any thing that's got wood is still possible after all that time ! sure need to be looked at seriously before you start making it look pretty !!
    Last edited by tunnels; 07-27-2017 at 03:37 PM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    What's the structure of the boat like ! transom, stringers ,floor and core of it has any ?? sure need to be looked at seriously before you start making it look pretty !!
    its is made out of the core mat construction. So it's the no wood construction as far as I know. So it's structurally sounds. Runs 85 with a super mag

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No soft spots. All hard as a rock

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan428 View Post
    No soft spots. All hard as a rock
    Good to see you have checked everything before hand !
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    Good to see you have checked everything before hand !
    Thanks man. Me and my dad been doing it for a long time. Just don't really have the time to tackle a full cosmetic restoration.