Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure. In a pinch, you could get away with it, being in fresh water. Never in salt.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I dug my templates out last night to have a look see .

The 300x style plate has short attachment legs and wouldn't have any adapter engagement at the forward holes . And naturally it would only make sense to run it horse shoe style in single or dual application , as trying to run one off of one side only would only use the three bolts along a single plane .

The XS mount's off of the engine base studs which are quite a bit farther forward than the mounting system on the X , requiring a non interchangeable plate.

Getting back to the original question of " can you run one off of a single side " .
    I mentioned using five mounting points because it would provide a change of load direction and as the math pointed out , would not be the weak link in the system.
    So as a wise man once told me. If you can break that off , you got bigger issues ..
    Pardon the first socket I grabbed and the used paint stick straight edge drafting tools , but if I were going to do a single side . I would make a single adapter out of .250 stainless that captured the three on the side and the two on the back (only one less than a horse shoe uses ) and then make the arm out of .500 aluminum .
    It would be strong enough to rent out to a crane company during the week and aprox 50 pounds lighter than the "go to" unit ... Just sayin

3. Likes AZMIDLYF liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    I dug my templates out last night to have a look see .

The 300x style plate has short attachment legs and wouldn't have any adapter engagement at the forward holes . And naturally it would only make sense to run it horse shoe style in single or dual application , as trying to run one off of one side only would only use the three bolts along a single plane .

The XS mount's off of the engine base studs which are quite a bit farther forward than the mounting system on the X , requiring a non interchangeable plate.

Getting back to the original question of " can you run one off of a single side " .
    I mentioned using five mounting points because it would provide a change of load direction and as the math pointed out , would not be the weak link in the system.
    So as a wise man once told me. If you can break that off , you got bigger issues ..
    Pardon the first socket I grabbed and the used paint stick straight edge drafting tools , but if I were going to do a single side . I would make a single adapter out of .250 stainless that captured the three on the side and the two on the back (only one less than a horse shoe uses ) and then make the arm out of .500 aluminum .
    It would be strong enough to rent out to a crane company during the week and aprox 50 pounds lighter than the "go to" unit ... Just sayin

When I was saying single sided I was inquiring about running a small stubby wing plate off the one side only (just the 3 bolts) ..

but last night we machined up some adapter plates (in black) out of 3/8 plate steel and used the "IMCO" (maybe its another brand) horseshoe bracket. Seems strange they only use 3/8 bolts, so I installed grade 8 just to be safe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20247673_10155357384315985_753890261906018167_o.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	312.1 KB 
ID:	381629 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20287047_10155357384135985_392227613755465526_o.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	401.8 KB 
ID:	381630

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2