User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    Back to the cove?
    Any engineering formulas to follow?
    yeah its call "COMMON SENSE "is the best one I know of !!!

GLASS fibres bent at a dead sharp right angle shear and break very easily ! But with a continuous cove the whole length both sides things change dramatically , A 15 mm radius is ideal is easy to laminate glass into and around !! this is a place where double bias is best NOT 0/90 and stops the glass from breaking and disintegrating shear still take place but still holds much much better .
    What you use for coving with as also important !! doesn't want to be brittle or crumbly so will break and crack ,so needs micro fibres in the mix !!

THESE THINGS ARE ALL TO DO WITH BUILDING METHODS !! this subject alone there volumes of things that you can do !!!
    Last edited by tunnels; 07-12-2017 at 05:15 PM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

2. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    F1 cars also are very interesting area of composites.
    They crash test them hence they are/have pioneered many technologies to help prevent the carbon explosion issues on failure
    The pbo tethers from uprights to the tub via the control arms are very cool.
    F1 tubs are pre impregnated and baked in an autoclave. Their structure design is extensively regulated and monitured by the FIA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    yeah its call "COMMON SENSE "is the best one I know of !!!

GLASS fibres bent at a dead sharp right angle shear and break very easily ! But with a continuous cove the whole length both sides things change dramatically , A 15 mm radius is ideal is easy to laminate glass into and around !! this is a place where double bias is best NOT 0/90 and stops the glass from breaking and disintegrating shear still take place but still holds much much better .
    What you use for coving with as also important !! doesn't want to be brittle or crumbly so will break and crack ,so needs micro fibres in the mix !!

THESE THINGS ARE ALL TO DO WITH BUILDING METHODS !! this subject alone there volumes of things that you can do !!!
    hence my question way back on making glues/fillers as I would think a custom tough but not brittle glue would need to come from a tube and not mixed in the factory

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hence my question way back on making glues/fillers as I would think a custom tough but not brittle glue would need to come from a tube and not mixed in the factory
    Way back we always made our own fillers and coving compounds from Standard resins and a flexi resin plus all the other dry stuff !! It was great ! easy to work with had the consistency of stiff whipped cream and being semi flexible stuck really well to most anything and All the resins stuck to it as well ,I used to take some home for car repair etc that was before the days of bondo etc !
    Any thing made for boats has to have flex and stick ability or you are asking for trouble !! everything must be able to move even fractionally with vibrations from a thumping diesel engine that travels the whole length of some boats for days on end if its a fishing boat and the likes !

For bulkheads in yachts and all the internals that got stuck in and were also used for hull stiffening and structural was used in lots of places before it got glassed over !! A high percentage of the yachts we were making used to get used for extended off shore cruising to the pacific island and Australia and points north even to England and the med all from New Zealand and down the southern isolated islands towards Antarctica into freezing cold places and ice packs etc !. like I mentioned off shore building specs were more stringent than survey specs !!

These days if it doesn't come in a tube or you cant buy in some shop no one has a clue how to make things themselves any more !
    The pioneering spirit and common sense know how doesn't exist any more !! we had formula's scribbled on the factory walls for all the mixes and stuff we had to make for different jobs !! Failures were unheard of !!.
    Trouble these days is there is such a vast selection of things that COULD BE USED but there's the compatibility issue to contend with , It will stick YES BUT what will stick to it ??
    Things like osmosis was never heard of and never appeared until they started Spraying gel coats because all and everything was hand brushed and the brushing squashed the air and gas bubbles out and porosity didn't exist ! remember you saying something about osmosis some time back Plus workmanship was another thing all guys I worked with were Boaties and boating people so they took great pride in all and everything they did didn't mater what it was !!

On sunny warm days with any sort of a breeze 50% of the staff never came to work including the boss because they were up and out at the crack of dawn out on the harbour sailing all day any where didn't matter as long as it was sailing !! no cell phones just peace and quiet !!!
    Sport of sailing means everything to some guys and the boss we had was one such person no body got told off for not coming to work when they were out sailing it was just a glorious day and that mattered more then working ! the work still gets done just takes longer !!.
    This is something that really stands out in the Americas cup interviews with the team members of team New Zealand is the family atmosphere and the just being there nothing else matters ! The team has spent the last 2 weeks going to all cities in all of nz to share there trophy and give thanks to all and everyone old and young !!Myself as a kiwi but living in China I to feel proud to be a kiwi even though I had no one here to share the enjoyment with !!
    Last edited by tunnels; 07-16-2017 at 06:07 PM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    F1 tubs are pre impregnated and baked in an autoclave. Their structure design is extensively regulated and monitured by the FIA.
    DO YOU KNOW ALL ABOUT the use of pre-preg glass and why they have to use autoclaves ?? and what they are supposed to do ??
    Last edited by tunnels; 07-19-2017 at 02:49 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to the original subject. It has been many years since I have done any 'glass work and now that Project HSB is being delivered in Feb I have been researching things. I have watched several videos on this voodoo magic cloth called Peel-Ply. Wow what a work-reducing product eliminating most grinding and sanding. I do not know how it works, nor do I care at this point either....we will use it and love it and call it magic

Pyro

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is nice to use if you have time while hand laminating to lay it out and roll over it. Keeps the fresh glass clean till you peel it.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

9. Likes Pyro Chuck liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my Vking I would leave the pealply on the core until I was ready to do the next section, pull it off and the glass is ready to be laminated over again. It is a must in bagging, but a real time saver in hand lamination with epoxy.
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

11. Likes Pyro Chuck liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My current project was my first time to use it.
    I did hand laminating, and the only issue I had was after rolling over it, if I left any excess resin, it was a bit hard to get it to release. I'm sure I did something wrong there, but it did release with some effort, and did leave a great surface for the next layer. When I squeegeed any excess resin away, problem solved.
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

13. Likes Pyro Chuck liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just used it for the first time. Can't believe it took me this long to use it. It'll save me so much time. Mine peeled off fairly easy

15. Likes 1BadAction, Pyro Chuck liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use it on the composite rotor skins and other experimental parts we make at work. Only issue I've noticed is in tighter radii it seems to leave a slightly rougher finish (even when bagged) and can be harder to remove without causing damage in those areas. I do not personally do any of the lay up or removal, just speaking from close observation. It seems like removal in 45* angles from the direction of the run work best to avoid de-laminating issues that we have had in the past.
    STV Pro Comp Ski| 200 Merc

17. Likes Pyro Chuck liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

two dissimilar materials in the mold build, peel ply is used to begin the foundation for the hard putty that will be applied on the female mold tooling

after the resin has dried, the peel ply is removed giving a nice strong consistent thickness base for the hard putty (which will be applied next).

Then milling of the putty continues with finer and finer (drill) bits

Note: the white cube is foam.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	440_a.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	403915

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like "vail" material.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fujimo, can you explain what vails are used for?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He might mean tissue cloth to prevent print through?

22. Likes noli liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast