Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Post #10

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flabum1017 View Post
    I'll probably do that.... I'm going to need 8 4X8 sheets of 1/2" laminated nida, plascore etc, what ever is available. Prefer something I can use with polyester resin.

Seems like the bare core is cheap, but the laminated stuff is astronomical......
    If you are buying the core only with the intentions of making your own panels then you can use what ever resin system you find the cheapest ! so apart from the resin the choice of glass fabrics would be next !!
    There is more than one core!! they come in any variations so check carefully the type and what it is !! (low density 1/2'' thick H-45 divinicell ) but there is no description as to what it really is !! get a sample to be sure its what you are wanting ! if it sheet foam make sure you get perforated ! has lot bleed holes to let the resin come up or down and lets the air out from underneath !!! How do you intend to stick the core to the glass ??
    You would also need a nice shiny table top to mould on ! not forgetting gel coat to be sprayed on to lay your glass onto and get a nice finish . You can cut the core to the shape and size required and make each panel and have very little waste !

Now think about how you intend to make and all the work involved !the core is just a part of the whole thing ! ADD to that resin glass and gel coat, mould release wax ,and a ,shiny or patterned melamine board to mould the sheets on top of plus buckets ,rollers masking tape etc etc
    To even come close to getting a quality jobthe gel coat would need to be spayed ,and the core would definitely need to be vacuum bagged onto the glass surface !
    S
    uddenly are any of those premade panels really that expensive ?? remember there will have a manufactures guarantee of quality and consistency!.

Reminder the floor you would need a better core than H45 !! 3/4 x H65 would be the absolute minimum density ! H80 Is much better for walking surfaces !!, the glass layup is important, so top surface gel coat and 1708 then 3/4 core thickness core !! over that 1708 + a unidirectional running across the panel NOT length ways !!
    Last edited by tunnels; 07-19-2017 at 09:52 PM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll probably do that.... I'm going to need 8 4X8 sheets of 1/2" laminated nida, plascore etc, what ever is available. Prefer something I can use with polyester resin.

Seems like the bare core is cheap, but the laminated stuff is astronomical......
    We buy the bare core for that price. I can figure out what it would could to lay them up if you want.

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    If you are buying the core only with the intentions of making your own panels then you can use what ever resin system you find the cheapest ! so apart from the resin the choice of glass fabrics would be next !!
    There is more than one core!! they come in any variations so check carefully the type and what it is !! (low density 1/2'' thick H-45 divinicell ) but there is no description as to what it really is !! get a sample to be sure its what you are wanting ! if it sheet foam make sure you get perforated ! has lot bleed holes to let the resin come up or down and lets the air out from underneath !!! How do you intend to stick the core to the glass ??
    You would also need a nice shiny table top to mould on ! not forgetting gel coat to be sprayed on to lay your glass onto and get a nice finish . You can cut the core to the shape and size required and make each panel and have very little waste !

Now think about how you intend to make and all the work involved !the core is just a part of the whole thing ! ADD to that resin glass and gel coat, mould release wax ,and a ,shiny or patterned melamine board to mould the sheets on top of plus buckets ,rollers masking tape etc etc
    To even come close to getting a quality jobthe gel coat would need to be spayed ,and the core would definitely need to be vacuum bagged onto the glass surface !
    S
    uddenly are any of those premade panels really that expensive ?? remember there will have a manufactures guarantee of quality and consistency!.
    It doesn't cost a manufacturer $200 per panel to laminate them. I can laminate 8 panels in a day plus materials and with my lack of experience (doing it slow) it still would not cost $200 per panel to laminate. I'm sure the manufacturer all set up can do it for far less.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You just want 8 panels (4X8) of high density foam with a layer of 1208 and peel ply on each side correct?

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    You just want 8 panels (4X8) of high density foam with a layer of 1208 and peel ply on each side correct?

Joe
    Was thinking more like plascore or nidacore (honeycomb). Nida showing it with 2 layers of 18 OZ. Using it for non-structural bulheads and cabinets. Want to put this back together with zero wood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	418.8 KB 
ID:	381163
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Okay,

I will have the guys put some numbers together for me tomorrow. I know that he has some inexpensive resin that could be used for what you are doing.

Joe

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It doesn't cost a manufacturer $200 per panel to laminate them. I can laminate 8 panels in a day plus materials and with my lack of experience (doing it slow) it still would not cost $200 per panel to laminate. I'm sure the manufacturer all set up can do it for far less.
    Like I pointed out before do you actually require 8 8x4 panels ?? or are most of the panels smaller ?? why not manufacture panels to the shape and size required !!
    CAN SAVE A LOT OF MATERIALS AND THAT MAKES IT EVEN CHEAPER !!
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    was thinking more like plascore or nidacore (honeycomb). Nida showing it with 2 layers of 18 oz. Using it for non-structural bulheads and cabinets. Want to put this back together with zero wood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	418.8 KB 
ID:	381163
    what is it ????
    Last edited by tunnels; 07-20-2017 at 04:42 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A buddy of mine had the same problem with termites they didn't stop at bulk heads and paneling they ate out the stringers too

11. Likes tunnels liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sammythebull View Post
    A buddy of mine had the same problem with termites they didn't stop at bulk heads and paneling they ate out the stringers too
    Termites on the inside eating the framing etc and polyester mites on the outside seems its a loosing game !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again.. Carbon-core for around $180 laminated. Shipping was $120 to middle GA for 6 sheets.
    Speed cost money. How fast you wanna go?
    I have done so much with so little for so long, I can now do the impossible with nothing!

14. Likes tunnels liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    so what was the final choice of materials ?? what was the final outcome ??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Job has been cancelled..... he had the boat tented and it slipped off the lift and sunk. The exterminator wanted the boat in the water so he let the boat down into the water and left it in the lift. Boat drifted back a little, tide went down, lift held the front of the boat up and the transom deep sixed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Job has been cancelled..... he had the boat tented and it slipped off the lift and sunk. The exterminator wanted the boat in the water so he let the boat down into the water and left it in the lift. Boat drifted back a little, tide went down, lift held the front of the boat up and the transom deep sixed.
    so begins another chapter !! with all the storms in the US there will be a million boats for sale or free !good luck !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast