Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

33 Donzi

I'm in the process of rebuilding the cabin of a 33 Donzi closed bow.... The wood cabinets and walls became infested with termites and we had to strip everything out and now have just a bare hull inside. Wanting to put it back together without plywood and am looking for the most economical but permanent way. I see Coosa is about double the price of marine ply and that is a little high. Looking for something in 4'X8' sheets 1/2" thick that termites and water won't affect. The original walls were not tabbed into the top deck, in fact, they were about 3/4" under with the headliner floating above them. They provide no structural strength, but I do intend on tabbing the walls into the top deck when I put it back together. Doing the floor as well, floor is only about 2' wide and has a center stringer for support. Was thinking of using boatyard resin and 6' or 12" wide fiberglass tabbing to tab all the pieces together and coating the rest of the walls with resin. Everything will be covered with carpet or a foam backed fabric or vinyl.

Recommendations?
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flabum1017 View Post
    I'm in the process of rebuilding the cabin of a 33 Donzi closed bow.... The wood cabinets and walls became infested with termites and we had to strip everything out and now have just a bare hull inside. Wanting to put it back together without plywood and am looking for the most economical but permanent way. I see Coosa is about double the price of marine ply and that is a little high. Looking for something in 4'X8' sheets 1/2" thick that termites and water won't affect. The original walls were not tabbed into the top deck, in fact, they were about 3/4" under with the headliner floating above them. They provide no structural strength, but I do intend on tabbing the walls into the top deck when I put it back together. Doing the floor as well, floor is only about 2' wide and has a center stringer for support. Was thinking of using boatyard resin and 6' or 12" wide fiberglass tabbing to tab all the pieces together and coating the rest of the walls with resin. Everything will be covered with carpet or a foam backed fabric or vinyl.

Recommendations?
    good place to look at PLASCORE PANELING or MAKE YOU OWN !! NOT THAT DIFFICULT JUST CORE WITH GLASS EACH SIDE !!! COULD EVEN HAVE A GELCOATED SHINEY SURFACE ONE SIDE IF YOU MADE THE PANELS ON A SMOOTH SHINY SURFACE !! JUST THINK WOULD BE 100% COMPOSITE NO MORE WOOD !! COULD USE THE SAME STUFF FOR THE FLOOR WITH A THICKER CORE AND BETTER GLASS AS WELL
    ALL AT A FRACTION OF THE WEIGHT OF WHAT WAS THERE BEFORE !!
    Last edited by tunnels; 07-06-2017 at 11:00 PM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    good place to look at PLASCORE PANELING or MAKE YOU OWN !! NOT THAT DIFFICULT JUST CORE WITH GLASS EACH SIDE !!! COULD EVEN HAVE A GELCOATED SHINEY SURFACE ONE SIDE IF YOU MADE THE PANELS ON A SMOOTH SHINY SURFACE !! JUST THINK WOULD BE 100% COMPOSITE NO MORE WOOD !! COULD USE THE SAME STUFF FOR THE FLOOR WITH A THICKER CORE AND BETTER GLASS AS WELL
    ALL AT A FRACTION OF THE WEIGHT OF WHAT WAS THERE BEFORE !!

What would the price of that be per sheet including the fiberglass and resin needed? I'll do the floor in Coosa
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    what would the price of that be per sheet including the fiberglass and resin needed?
    try shopping around for the materials and then the ready made panels .and see what sort of a deal you can get !

https://www.plascore.com/honeycomb/honeycomb-panels/ some reading matter !!go through the site and get to know what you dealing with !!

https://www.plascore.com/download/da..._Honeycomb.pdf

if WAS ME DOING THE JOB ID MAKE THE PANELS TO SIZE AND CUT DOWN DRAMATICLY ON WASTE oFF CUTS COULD BE JOINED TOGETHER TO MAKE PANELS AND THE GLASS COULD BE LIGHT DOUBLE BIAS WITH CSM BOTH SIDES JUST THE FLOOR WOULD NEED A HEAVYER BETTER GLASS !! no more termites !!
    Last edited by tunnels; 07-06-2017 at 11:27 PM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just trying to find the right products to use but most economical, figured the guys here would know ballpark prices

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just trying to find the right products to use but most economical, figured the guys here would know ballpark prices
    The plastic honeycomb core would do everything you need !
    Thickness 1/2inch for wall panels and 3/4 inch for the floor panel !!
    Glass csm 450 gram and 600 gram double bias 45/45 fabric that has a csm on one side !!!
    Resin for interior construction polyester is perfectly ok
    Measure how big are all the panels to get the square foot plus a little wastage !
    Last edited by tunnels; 07-07-2017 at 03:58 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might check prices and shipping from Carbon-core. I have used their pre-laminated panels and found them to be well made and finished. It appears to be the same as Plasti-core.
    Speed cost money. How fast you wanna go?
    I have done so much with so little for so long, I can now do the impossible with nothing!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Oldman View Post
    You might check prices and shipping from Carbon-core. I have used their pre-laminated panels and found them to be well made and finished. It appears to be the same as Plasti-core.
    well what do you think ?? cored composite panels that will last for ever or grotty wood again and invite the termites again ??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a tough time finding a local supplier who won't rape me on the price.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you ever bought from Merritt Supply. They used to be good suppliers for all kinds of stuff. Core board, core's. and at one time had pre finished glass panels from orca industries. If you want to make some glass panels yourself it's easy...Just use some flat melamine board, wax it, brush on some gel, couple lays of matt, set core, ( lo density 1/2'' thick H-45 divinnycell ) in the wet glass and cover with a couple more lays of matt. You can make the panels in the shape (even bowed) you need so you don't waste any materials. The melamine board gives a nice matte finish for interior panels.
    Last edited by XstreamVking; 07-16-2017 at 05:41 AM.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    Have you ever bought from Merritt Supply. They used to be good suppliers for all kinds of stuff. Core board, core's. and at one time had pre finished glass panels from orca industries. If you want to make some glass panels yourself it's easy...Just use some flat melamine board, wax it, brush on some gel, couple lays of matt, set core, ( lo density 1/2'' thick H-45 divinnycell ) in the wet glass and cover with a couple more lays of matt. You can make the panels in the shape (even bowed) you need so you don't waste any materials. The melamine board gives a nice matte finish for interior panels.
    I agree, check meritts

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How much they want?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Composite one is around 60 a sheet if can find someone local that is set up with them. If not, give me a call and I can get it if you want to make a drive up.

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla0178 View Post
    How much they want?
    Been getting quotes of $280 a sheet for 1/2" nida core layered with polyester/woven glass.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    Composite one is around 60 a sheet if can find someone local that is set up with them. If not, give me a call and I can get it if you want to make a drive up.

Joe
    I'll probably do that.... I'm going to need 8 4X8 sheets of 1/2" laminated nida, plascore etc, what ever is available. Prefer something I can use with polyester resin.

Seems like the bare core is cheap, but the laminated stuff is astronomical......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast