Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Four seat tunnel for dad... recommendations?

Hello,

It's always been my intention to buy my dad a new boat for his 65th birthday (13 mo away). His current boat is a 1978 19' Starcraft Stinger with a 2000 225HP Evinrude. This setup has a jack plate and hydraulic steering and runs in the 70s, but it's not fun with that hull haha. My dad and I have built a bunch of boats over the years including a 12' tunnel with a 140hp that ran in the 70s (fun!) and a 11' HydroStream Mini Voodoo. We've also built smaller hydroplanes and stuff when I was a kid.

Anyways, his boat had seen it's day and it needs to be replaced. The rigging is all good still, no issues there. We've already put a new transom in it and refloored it, but it's just had enough. He's been wanting a 4 seat tunnel for ages and I'm finally in the position where I can make it happen.

My go to for this idea has always been the Euro. He loves the lines, as do I, and with his rigging it'd run close to 90 I'm sure and would be a blast. This boat will only be used on our small 4 mile lake. I've had a hard time finding many Euros for sale, so I called Jack and had him quote me a new boat. So that's option 1.

Finding a used Euro with or without power would be option 2.

I need your help figuring out further options. How does the T4 Quartershot compare? How does a 21 Skater compare? Am I better off finding different power if we do go the Euro route?

Any other ideas? I'm very open to suggestions. I just want something that's in new or very good shape that will last him that he won't kill himself in too easily Must be a tunnel and must seat 4+ and I'd like it to run 90 or better. My jet ski runs 87 and I want him to be able to outrun me haha.

Thank you!
    Adam

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does a T-4 come in side steer? I've only ever seen them center steer with a small bench in back.

I would find a euro me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No contest, get him a Euro.
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    Does a T-4 come in side steer? I've only ever seen them center steer with a small bench in back.

I would find a euro me
    Thats the T3. The T4 is side steer and is very similar to the euro.

I think you can keep that motor and see 90's easy with a Euro or the T4. The 21 skater is prob better for larger water than 4 mile lake. The smaller tunnel hull wood be ideal IMO
    Rob Lankford

1988 20' Action Marine 2.4 200

Previous owned boats worth mentioning

1976 17' Action Marine 2.4 200
    1984 20' Action Marine 2.5 200
    1983 17' Hydrostream V-King 2.4 Bridgeport
    2003 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280 /300 Drag
    2005 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280
    2005 Baja 23 Outlaw 6.2 Mercruiser
    2006 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 200 CARB/2.5 225 PROMAX
    2009 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 280

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can find the $$ ... Franks would be hard to beat @ $34,000 >http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...fect-21-skater
    Wriggleys gum makes me think of boating, "Double your engines, Double your fun"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Euro is nice. I loved mine, but if you're looking for speed, an under powered Euro is no fun. Unless you just want to ease around and look good, you will want different power (assuming your engine is stock). I had one with a 200 Promax and sportmaster. Boat ran fine with just me (I eventually got 101 out of it and think it had more, but I had to turn, sharp ), but add another 225lb passenger, low 90's was it (with +/-10 gallons fuel or less). With 3 adults, I couldn't power through the hop, so 75-78 max, or until it started hopping again, then slow back to 68-70. Most people that comment on a Euro are running 260, 280, or 300, in which case there is plenty power on tap to power right on through the hop (once you get low to mid 80's, it starts "flyin"). Just consider this if you are stuck on a Euro. Some people might have, or have had, different experiences with these hulls, I'm just trying to keep you from being surprised if it doesn't live up to your expectations. Hang a 300 xs on the back of one and you'll be fine, as long as he doesn't mind a little spray from the "sneeze" in his face.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Think of a 21 Liberator--roomy, I have been told they run well with a 225 but check with Wildman.
    Per Rock:

"Once I bought my first Hydrostream boating changed forever for me."

Per my hero Instigator:

"I try not to let common sense interfere w/my boat buying decisions."

Pat Gent
    cell 954-249-3246
    '78 Hydrostream Vandal (being rebuilt)
    '86 21' Eliminator Daytona, 300 OMC V-8 (Li'l Toy III)

8. Likes blacktruck liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread. I am also looking for a little speedster but haven't dropped the ball yet. I have all the rigging and will see Jack personally next month and see what happens there. But my oh my is there some good deals to be had on an Allisons out there. So I am keeping the options open and see what comes my way. Good luck in your search, hope you find just what he wants.
    True Viking
    Scarab 34 SS with Triple OMC 4.0 V8's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies guys. It sounds like I'm on the right track with the Euro then. Is there anything else we should be looking at?

As for power, Jack seemed to think it would run good with the 225, but I had concerns about that as well. I'll have to keep options open for power. How reliable are the Merc 260, 280 and 300 compared to our trusty fishing motor? We've only ever run OMCs, but are not brand loyal or die hard OMC guys...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroStream6 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. It sounds like I'm on the right track with the Euro then. Is there anything else we should be looking at?

As for power, Jack seemed to think it would run good with the 225, but I had concerns about that as well. I'll have to keep options open for power. How reliable are the Merc 260, 280 and 300 compared to our trusty fishing motor? We've only ever run OMCs, but are not brand loyal or die hard OMC guys...
    It all depends on how you plan to use it, with what kind of load, and what you consider "good"...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pearlriverrat View Post
    It all depends on how you plan to use it, with what kind of load, and what you consider "good"...
    I mean compared to the 225 OMC. Boat will mainly be used just for cruising. Occasional skiing or tubing but mostly just cruising at like 40mph with Wot blasts mixed in. 🙂 Mostly just him with a single passenger.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good reliable promax on the back of a Euro is the way to go In my opinion ! 260, 280 are more for the serious enthusiast that doesn't mind tinkering!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroStream6 View Post
    I mean compared to the 225 OMC. Boat will mainly be used just for cruising. Occasional skiing or tubing but mostly just cruising at like 40mph with Wot blasts mixed in.  Mostly just him with a single passenger.
    That setup should be fine for this. You had mentioned "90 or better" in your first post.

I am by no means trying to discourage you from a Euro or knocking your combo. I had one and also had similar desires and expectations to yours, but was let down with my set up. Mine was ok for cruising 40-60 with the family, but if there are wake or ski boats running, load it up. If I ever buy another one, it will be a Mod VP. I had more fun running by myself. If I were to buy another "Family Sportboat", it will be an Allison.

I'll stop now, because I sound like I'm bashing these fine boats, and that is not the intention. If you want any more of my opinion, feel free to PM me your number and I'll talk to you on the phone

Best of Luck

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    STV Euro or RR with a 225 Promax

MDS

Thanks (Given)