Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installing new gear cable and doesn't seem long enough.

Purchased from boat store throttle and drive cable for merc 150. I have a hot foot set up and not sure who made the hand shift box. When I hook up the drive cable it will push the cable out far enough but it won't retract it in far enough to click intonplace on the hand unit. It has a ball bearing set up on the handle that drops into the slots, neutral, fwd, rev.. it will click only in the extending and not the Retracting. Is this because i bought cables for the engine and not the handle? Would I just have to take a measurement from the handles fwd to rev positions and order a cable with the same throw dimensions? Can you even do that? Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merc makes a few different style ends. Hard to explain but when you look them up you can eventually see the difference. I did what you are doing and had no problems. Are you using the black merc shifting controller or the older white one? I had the older white one and it sucked and after $150 in parts it still worked like junk and the idle lever even though disconnected was screwing things up inside so i got a newer one. This is all on pre 90's stuff. You didn't say what year your dealing with.
    If I don't ask any questions, I'll never learn anything.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I didn't have it with me found some pictures online. It's a quicksilver control box. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2004.PNG 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	378901 And these are close to the cables I got. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2003.PNG 
Views:	6 
Size:	959.4 KB 
ID:	378902Except both ends of the cable have that cylinder end on them. The engine is a 91 150 xr4. The precious owner had a new fuel injected 2.5 on the back, could it be different in the control box and that's why? I tried disconnecting the motor side of the cable so it was free and then tried it and it still would not pull the cable in far enough.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a nutshell your hot foot doesn't push far enough forward. Did you check the pedal stop bolt down low? That's a good place to start. Or the cable isn't installed high enough on the hot foot to where you dont get enough throw with the cable. Some brands you can install the cable up higher some you can't. There might be a series of holes you dont see.
    One last thing Giter fixed so you can go boating. It's almost the weekend and it's a Holiday
    If I don't ask any questions, I'll never learn anything.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may be mistaken but I'm talking about the shifter cable not having enough throw. So if I connect the shifter cable to the control box only, leaving the engine end of the cable disconnected, wether I hook the cable to the lower or upper boot of the control box, it will only push the cable out far enough to click into the second ball detent of the control arm. When I do the opposite action where the cable then pulls in, the cable bottoms out before I get to the ball detent. If I move the control arm hard enough it might pop it into position but seams wrong.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that is the cable you got, looks like an OMC cable, not merc..............
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2005.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	378968Sorry, I grabbed that previous pic offline. This is what both the cables look like. Didn't know if the quicksilver control box required a different cable.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what I'm going to have to do is bring the control box in to marine liquidators and test a couple cables to see what's going on or what they have to work with it.