Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are funny

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    we all know the danger of long term styrene exposure, lol
    uuummm yeah ! so where's the core matt stories ?? Got any ??
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PS you get what you asked for if your silly enough to think the demo part will be the same as the shipped part when you are buying from china.
    I must hear a story every other week about that
    Occasionally something big
    Singapore shipping trains back to repair as there was something funny about the aluminium in the structure.
    http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...to-fix-defects

Plenty of stories in the Oil n Gas business where staff inside the business have done large scale frauds and almost bankrupted the owners by parts substitution causing project delays or shutting down rigs/fpso etc, doesnt make the press but its hundreds of millions of dollars.
    Quite often is just crap nuts and bolts in the supply chain after you receive your sample.

Does China still have the ban on Chinese companies supplying pressure vessels both internally and for export?
    Clearly the government knows what happens internally
    so what the hell has this to do with core matt ! why are you always side tracking ! are you bored with life ? what ??get a life man !!
    Last edited by tunnels; 06-27-2017 at 09:01 PM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    so what the hell has this to do with core matt ! why are you always side tracking ! are you bored with life ? what ??get a life man !!
    QuoteChinese when they making things generally over build to the point of ridiculous here !!

what gets exported is to the specs of what is demanded !! So you get what you asked for MASTER !!!!!
    thats laughable when dealing with china and the part in bold is exactly the opposite of what happens

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thats laughable when dealing with china and the part in bold is exactly the opposite of what happens
    The junk you guys buy is what th dealer has specified he want to sell so that what you get !! Try and find that rubbish HERE I have never found and the locals wont buy !!

WE ARE MENT TO BE DISCUSSING THE PROS AND CONS OF CORE MATT !! SO END OF OK!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok back to the plot.
    I was going to say coremat good to use on small molds as in i can carry it.
    I have never made anything big.
    So should we view it as a core or cloth?
    Does it get used rather than foam in thin cores?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok back to the plot.I was going to say coremat good to use on small molds as in i can carry it.I have never made anything big.So should we view it as a core or cloth?Does it get used rather than foam in thin cores?
    sound like you better find all the core matt manufacturing sights on the net and do some reading ! Its a CORE that's a MATT !!
    Matt is not the same as fabrics ?? have used thick core matt during the making of big moulds up to 40 foot Hulls and decks and two thick layers separated by fabrics and csm over under and between never use woven glass for anything !! has a thousand uses! and new uses keep coming to light all the time ! BUT THERE ARE PLACES IT SHOULD NEVER BE USED !
    Last edited by tunnels; 06-28-2017 at 12:06 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think woven is dead in large weights, its all stitched fabrics now as far as I can see

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    any where you want !

My son is using core matt as a flow medium in between the layers of carbon for all his infusion with the added advantage of stiffening his parts at the same time, so is serving a dual purpose ! Now that's thinking !!
    Wait a second. So basicaly vacuum bagging coremat? Don't think lots of core will be left if you compress it.
    http://www.geocities.com/fletcher_arrowbeau

Fletcher 17F6
    Hydrostream HST 20F

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think woven is dead in large weights, its all stitched fabrics now as far as I can see
    Yes !! has had its had its day that's for sure and is 9/10 of the problems because builders still cant think past it !! trying to change attitude's is like push ice up hill with a sharp stick on a hot sunny day!! .
    AND stitched fabrics don't use binder so can be used with any and all resins!
    Manufactures are 10 steps ahead of us flatlanders But there are still die hard's within the ranks that still stick to there age old stories and wont or don't want to hear other wise !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you tried vacuuming core matt? its been happening for at least 10 years that I can think of !!
    Some is made specially for infusion and is manufactured in a way to be a flow medium as well so have the best of both worlds with a flow medium between the glass layers ! or as my son uses between layers of carbon so resin flow is inside between and flows out through the carbon ,is quick and easy and to improve the micro pin holing that can be experienced doesn't use full vacuum any more and problem solved !!

I have always asked this question How much suck do you really need to infuse with ??
    Last edited by tunnels; 06-28-2017 at 02:20 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suck it and see?
    I have seen guys doing test panels whenever anything changes in there layup so i guess they also test vac and then test the panel
    Last edited by powerabout; 06-28-2017 at 02:54 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re the woven
    If j was building anything boat wise other than an engine cowl, i would be consulting a composite engineer to do a fea on it and also spec the layup.
    I have seen a few guys who have been doing hi tech stuff for years be amazed when somebody like those clever kiwi guys from High Modulus who now work for gurit i think, redesign it, stronger lighter and easier to build in most cases and that usually means cheaper and faster to build as well
    Last edited by powerabout; 06-28-2017 at 02:35 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Suck it and see?
    I have seen guys doing test panels whenever anything changes in there layup so i guess they also testlayu and then test the panel
    Yip suck it and see is all you can do in so many cases !
    But with a problem I experienced long time ago I was astounded at just how little suck was actually needed to solve the problem we had ,like 1.5% of ultimate suck was all that was need ,so that's 1.5% of 14.7 psi and it was perfect in every way !!
    I even had samples sent to the Auckland university engineering department to verify what we had done !

I even made a DVD video of the whole process from start to finish and gave it to the resin manufacture that supplied all our materials at that time !
    Last edited by tunnels; 06-28-2017 at 02:41 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast