User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

gel cot problems 3

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stress.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	400.7 KB 
ID:	378688 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stress 2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	394.0 KB 
ID:	378689 stress marks !

In this case the problem was happening regularly all down the side of each deck being made and in a very high percentage of times were not visible immediately but appeared a week of so later !!
    So by simply use a different mould release wax and just one single coat the problem disappeared immediately !! Not all products are compatible with each other and this was something I had experienced during my travels . Mirror glaze wax is not compatible with all and any Asian gel coats !!

The deck was a major to release from the mould and was tight every where these marks were all down the sides of the deck as big wooden wedges were used between the product and the mould and Hammered in very forcible ! the first time I saw this I could not believe what was happening!!, it took over an hour to finally release the deck .
    I was asked what is the cause as they waxed every time !!simple I said you are using the wrong wax ! no one believed me so when the new wax arrived I helped wax the mould and when the next deck was ready to be released I had a crowd watching !! Just one guy with his air hose in the cockpit floor box and blew the air in and the deck popped off the mould 50 mm !! mouths dropped and head shook all in amazement and disbelief ! so I collected all there tins of old mirror glaze wax put them in a box and locked them away to be used for hulls only !!Biggest problem is the mirror glaze will not allow two vertical surfaces to slide past one another . First time I experienced this was making shower cubicles that were 3 sided and had to slide virtually 6 feet !, First shower came up 3 inchs and after that would not move !! was like it was glued in place ended up destroying the cubical by ripping it apart to get it free !
    So mono hulls not a problem but don't us it on cats of tunnels and never on decks !!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stress 2.jpg  
    Last edited by tunnels; 06-25-2017 at 10:25 PM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!